Growing black spot?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Growing black spot?

Postby Syd1210 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:35 am

I’ve notice a black spot of scales on my beardie. At first I though it was just some marking but it seems like it’s getting bigger over the past few months. I can almost “pinch” it to feel around it and it almost feels like a little lump. Does this look familiar to anyone? [Click image to enlarge]
Syd1210
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Growing black spot?

Postby AHBD » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:14 am

It would be good to have an experienced only reptile vet have a look. Some beardies can get " skin cancer " cancer on their scales so just to rule it out or see what else it might be.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby fcooper » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:25 am

I’m pretty sure that’s normal, I’ve seen bearded dragons that have all sorts of little black spots on their chin. Their chins usually get black when they are defensive so I think it’s normal. If you see him showing any sign of like trying to scratch it or rubbing it against something or if the bearded dragon squirms when you touch it then bring it to the vet
93.7% of all Bearded Dragon owners make one of these 37 deadly mistakes which are unintentionally, but slowly & surely torturing their beloved Bearded Dragons to death.
http://bit.ly/beardeddragonsecret
fcooper
Hatchling Poster

Postby claudiusx » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:30 am

If you can feel a lump I'd definitely get it checked out like AHBD mentioned.

Can you go over your lighting setup with us?
Uvb bulb? And how close is it to the basking surface? To the floor of the tank?

-Brandon
claudiusx

Postby AHBD » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:56 am

Fcooper I agree that they can have random black specks, kind of like freckles. But this is not normal, much bigger.....it may be harmless but it's not a normal dark shoulder pad [ epaulet ] or beard . Best to have it checked out.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Syd1210 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks for the input. She’s in a 40 gallon tank, with a 24” uvb bulb and basking lights, temps usually about 90, ceramic heater at night. It doesn’t seem to bother her at all, whether I touch it or not she has no reaction to it. This spot is not something she has always had, it showed up within the past year, not a normal marking for her. I’ll likely end up at the vet but our local reptile vet is very expensive so I figured I’d ask around a bit to all you fellow reptile owners.
Syd1210
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health