Come on down to Devlyn Town everyone, let's go!

Welcome to Devlyn Town everyone! We're a welcoming place.

Devlyn joined our household on February 9th, 2019 at 6 months old. I don't know her birthday, and she wouldn't tell me, so my best guess is August 1st, 2018.
103228-4767807354.jpg
Devlyn was bought from a pet shop that went out of business. Came from an unnamed wholesale vender. The original owner did a lot to take care of Devlyn. A baby dragon who had parasites and a respiratory infection from the pet store. There were some hiccups with coil UVB bulbs but that was corrected after a vet visit in October 2018 to UVB fluorescent tubing and proper heat control and a bigger enclosure. The original owner sold Devlyn to me because Devlyn is a very picky eater (aka non-eater)(and as of 2/09/2020 Devlyn still can be a picky eater, she needs a lot of care to eat well) and the lady's life was very busy with other pets, kids, and a failed marriage. Devlyn went from whatever shadey pet place she was born, to a cheap pet store, to a loving first owner who only gave her up so Devlyn could get more attention and care and the cost of her ongoing care. My husband and I have given her a good home now! This is Devlyn town, she is the mayor, we do her bidding.
103228-3580797855.jpg
See pic above for her enclosure she has had since late 2018. About 45" by 17" by 19.2". New bulbs added after the move FYI. Devlyn likes color so I am currently going insane by creating more furniture, buying decorations and making decorative elements for her. Stay tuned for more episodes of Devlyn town!
ENCLOSURE UPDATE 2/09/2020
103228-3978015883.jpg

Update 1/10/2021
Awoken from brumation#2. 119 days.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Devlyn got to go for a car ride, we broke all the rules and grabbed toilet paper at Costco, and we had fun in the backyard.

The pics below are her jumping off the sun tanning chair. There is a rolled up outdoor rug to the left and a branch I put on the left she can climb down. She chooses to jump. Devlyn likes to remind me she is part arboreal and she will jump if she wants too. She has never tried to jump from anything higher, even though she has climbed on higher things

103228-5561658549.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Haha! Nice that you were able to catch Devlin mid flight!
She looks quite proud of her landing haha!

What is this rule breaking about buying toilet paper at costco?am I missing something lol

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Costco is not a pet friendly place. Service animals only. I didn't want to leave her in the car so she was in my laptop bag.

I have a friend who works at that Costco so I waved him down and told him to look in my bag. She poked her head out. It was fun breaking the rules :mrgreen:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Lmao I thought you were saying there is some secret rule about not buying Costco's toilet paper.... I love costco toilet paper haha.

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
103228-641662325.jpg

I just added a Wyze camera to Devlyn's enclosure XD

Only $25 USD. First impressions is that it was easy to set up. The instructions weren't completely clear on how to mount the camera, but I think anyone who has set up a bearded dragon enclosure before has the intuition to figure it out. This pic is a test shot. Devlyn is in one of her hides, she had a busy day so I'm not going to bother her.

It isn't quite possible to get the entire enclosure in one frame. Her hammock and bed are cut out of frame. If I like it I can always add a camera to the hot side of the enclosure...maybe? I'm not sure yet on how much heat this camera can take. Since the air on the hot side can get to 90-95°F near the ceiling.... we'll see

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think you'll really enjoy having a camera in the enclosure. I check mine all the time. Just be sure to change the passwords etc away from defaults since IP cameras can be a fairly big security risk on a network.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just imagine a hacker tapping into your camera and expecting to see some valuables to steal or a camera that shows no one is home but instead they see devlyn just staring back as them... lol the face I'm picturing is cracking me up.

-Brandln

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Definitely set up my own password CooperDragon. Always always. Today is first full day with a camera. I'm excited to see her lay in the same spot for the 8 hours I'm at work XD

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Shared this reddit yesterday but no one cared. Oh well.

I'm doing a copy paste of what I wrote if it looks a little off my normal writing style. This happened Friday. (Here's the story)

>Disclaimer and extra context -

I am fortunate my cat and my dragon are content to ignore each other, this is true being inside the house or outside. Neither is stressed out or interested in the other. My cat Greysie has a peculiar quirk where she has always ignored any reptile or amphibian. Things with feathers and fur and insects she will chase and kill if she can. However, she never ever bothers toads, frogs, snakes, lizards, and other like things outside. I am lucky (my dragon Devlyn and my frog Charlie too) that she doesn’t care to attempt murder for little herps.

>What happened -

I was just outside on the porch sunning with Devlyn, getting real UVB and D3 because I want to be a good slave to my master. Greysie was nearby in a bush, looking for rabbits I’m sure. This red tailed squirrel walks onto the far side of the porch. Weird. Starts walking towards Devlyn, NOT GOOD! Devlyn is between me and the red tailed squirrel. Red tailed squirrels can be mean and nasty on a good day, this one was walking straight towards a lizard while a human was also there starting to panic and shout at the thing. While still standing up shouting at the squirrel Greysie suddenly sprints full speed past me and past Devlyn who now black beards and puffs up opening mouth at the cat on squirrel battle that has started. Greysie tries to tackle the squirrel, squirrel runs quick circles around Devlyn and me with a cat biting the squirrel’s tail. I picked up Devlyn, so much happened in a few brief seconds. Greysie chased the red tailed squirrel away and it escaped up a tree.

>Thoughts since the event -

Things could have gone so bad! This is already not a good situation. If the squirrel or Greysie had ran over Devlyn in their struggle Devlyn could have been hurt so badly. If the squirrel had touched Devlyn who knows what would have happened, because I am not sure I could have reached Devlyn in time, she was about 10 feet away from me closer to the edge of the porch where the squirrel appeared. Going outside with Greysie and Devlyn before has never been an issue since they happily ignore each other. I always stay by Devlyn and Greysie walks around maybe going to a neighbor’s yard. I actually like having Greysie outside with Devlyn because the birds stay away, birds fluttering above stress Devlyn out. This wasn’t a baby red squirrel either, as the babies can sometimes be too curious and will approach people. I don’t know what was wrong with that squirrel. Devlyn is back in her enclosure and seems completely fine now. Greysie has walked in line of sight of Devlyn’s enclosure and neither exhibit any reaction to the other. I am going to keep an eye out just in case Devlyn shows signs of stress after seeing the ferocious murder-activated cat. Recently I got a Wyze camera in Devlyn’s enclosure so I know for a fact now that Greysie never bothers Devlyn.

You want to know something? I am absolutely going to keep bringing Greysie outside when I take Devlyn out. Greysie may be a vicious killer but she is terrified of other cats. I know if another cat is nearby because she runs back to me her fur all kinds of poofed and wants back inside immediately, this has not happened since I got Devlyn, I live in a new house this year. If a cat was stalking Devlyn and decided to attack I highly doubt I could stop a cat, cats are too quick, the damage would be done and poor Devlyn would suffer. Greysie is my bird deterrent, other cat alarm, and attacker of rogue red tailed squirrels. My immediate backyard is fenced and I stay on the porch/patio area with Devlyn. It is very unlikely some other cat would come by, but it is not impossible.

Listen, cats are kill machines. Anyone who actually is a cat person should accept that if they were shrunk down to the size of a mouse their precious kitty would maim them to death and the last fleeting thought their kitty would have for them is disappointment that the shrunken human was too dead to play with anymore. I know this and I love cats. If Greysie wasn’t the little weirdo she is because she sees a herp and wants nothing to do it I wouldn’t have a dragon.

103228-688873185.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well it is a good thing she is the way she is. Sounds like she probably saved devlyn this time. It's also a good thing shes afraid of other cats, gives you a warning lol. Just dont take that as a reason to get complacent, which I'm sure you're not. There is always a bit of a risk when outside. My area tends to get a few hawks actually, and 1 or 2 neighborhood cats. But besides that, we actually have a species of wild lizard that lives in my neighborhood. So it's not the worst place for a lizard based on that alone lol.

Its surprising too because we live in a pretty developed neighborhood. The previous owners put a lot of rock formations in the front and backyard, and that's where I've seen the lizards we have the most. I've seen about half a dozen different little babies just this past month. :)

I'm rambling... like usual sorry lol.

But I did read your whole story at least! Unlike the lame redditors ;p

-Brandon

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Took Devlyn to the vet. Over the past month her appetite has been less and some days she seemed to stay in her hide half the day. But she's 13 months old so I know she should be eating less. She is a little young to have eggs. I wasn't sure if she was showing brumation signs.

All this stuff It just had me a tad worried so I took her in. Her diagnosis is overweight. So, she's less hungry and active because I got her overly fat. Less bugs for you miss! Doctor's orders. More crawling on the floor time too. Get your dragon exercise.

I had (already) cut down bugs to 3/4 days a week when she turned 12 months old. However I'm going down to 1/2 times a week per the vet. She gets greens and veggies every day.

103228-34995699.jpg

Spooky skeleton

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Stuff has been happening and not happening since the 7th. It seems pretty clear Devlyn is doing a brumate. But she is doing it wrong, I am but a mere human yet I judge her brumation skills as sub-par at best.

She went from 414 grams to about 394 grams in 3 days (9/07 to 9/11) with just leafy greens and a big poop. I offered bugs and she refused. She stopped eating greens. On 9/18 she ate some crickets again and barely any leafy greens. She also started staying in her cool hide 24/7 now weighing about 400 grams. For a few days I took her out once to see her, left her on her basking hot spot, she would crawl back into her cool hide. Today she is 398 grams, I gave her a bath for a chance to drink (she didn't) and she pooped in the bath! A good looking poop. I did put her in her basking spot, to me it's seems like the safest bet for her to dry off completely.

She is probably going to crawl back into her hide later. Me trying to help her be not a fat dragon must have made her brain think "food shortage" and then "gotta brumate". Maybe even her eating all the food was preparing the brumate? Nah, she just got greedy and is brumating wrong because her weight loss and weight change isn't right for a real brumate. She is 14 months old now. If she wants to try and brumate, she can but I do a little peak once a day. Poke her tail to see her move and proove she is alive. There are greens every day if she wants. Her lights still go on and off. She stays in her rock sleeping

103228-5183925303.jpg

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hey brumating pics! Devlyn is doing better on her weight, not so much loss. Gave her a bath, she didn't drink. Then I showed her her rock hide and this box. She looked at both, thought about for exactly 1 minute then crawled into the big box. Added organic potting soil inside the box and she snuggled on top of the dirt. The box has an opening under the hammock area

103228-9650305612.jpg

My phone is not capable of taking a picture inside the box, I don't want to use the flash or shine a light inside. Devlyn brumates lightly.

08/19/2019 408 grams
09/07/2019 414 grams
09/11/2019 394 grams
09/18/2019 398 grams
09/21/2019 398 grams
09/29/2019 390 grams
10/05/2019 388 grams
10/10/2019 384 grams

It was about 372 grams the vet said I should be concerned if she gets that low on weight. Makes me anxious! If she drank some water in the bath maybe her weight loss would slow down more. But Devlyn be like I am a semi arboreal arid creature and I don't need to drink no water fool.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Shes loosing it pretty slow, I wouldnt be too concerned.

How funny she instantly wanted the dark box haha :)

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom