Blood in poop? Acting strange, really concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniw13

My beardie is 3 years old and has always been so healthy until recently.
He was treated for a small amount of a parasite (can't remember what it was called) and cleared last month.
I explained to the vet back then that he wasn't wanting to bask and sleeping alot and he said it's probably from the parasite and meds.
I thought maybe he is just wanting to go into brumation but wanted to keep him up for a while longer to make sure he was healthy, then a couple weeks ago he started twitching in random spots on his body.
I learned that it was probably due to low calcium so I began taking him outside and giving him more calcium and the twitching stopped and he started getting a dark orange color in his urate, then they started getting really mushy and nasty with almost no urate, then started having alot of brown liquid surrounding his poop, now his poop looks fine but it looks like there's blood in the urate. It's like one thing after another.
He never wants to get up, bask or eat his salad anymore (and he LOVESSSSS his salads, he would even eat 2 a day sometimes!)
And then there will be one or two days of the week that he seems like he is doing better, basking and running around, and then back to being lazy. He still ALWAYS jumps up real quick for any bugs, and will take some bites of his salad especially if i hand feed him.

I have done SO much research to try to do everything right and this is stressing me out so bad right now.
I would like to upload some pics but not sure how yet.

***also he does have an apt. For Thursday at the vet, just looking for any opinions or help, it's hard to find an exotic vet around here and was not very happy with the last place I took him to so I had to find someone else.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Jenniw13":3tqfwlaz said:
My beardie is 3 years old and has always been so healthy until recently.
He was treated for a small amount of a parasite (can't remember what it was called) and cleared last month.
I explained to the vet back then that he wasn't wanting to bask and sleeping alot and he said it's probably from the parasite and meds.
I thought maybe he is just wanting to go into brumation but wanted to keep him up for a while longer to make sure he was healthy, then a couple weeks ago he started twitching in random spots on his body.
I learned that it was probably due to low calcium so I began taking him outside and giving him more calcium and the twitching stopped and he started getting a dark orange color in his urate, then they started getting really mushy and nasty with almost no urate, then started having alot of brown liquid surrounding his poop, now his poop looks fine but it looks like there's blood in the urate. It's like one thing after another.
He never wants to get up, bask or eat his salad anymore (and he LOVESSSSS his salads, he would even eat 2 a day sometimes!)
And then there will be one or two days of the week that he seems like he is doing better, basking and running around, and then back to being lazy. He still ALWAYS jumps up real quick for any bugs, and will take some bites of his salad especially if i hand feed him.

I have done SO much research to try to do everything right and this is stressing me out so bad right now.
I would like to upload some pics but not sure how yet.

***also he does have an apt. For Thursday at the vet, just looking for any opinions or help, it's hard to find an exotic vet around here and was not very happy with the last place I took him to so I had to find someone else.
Can you post pictures?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Use this link to post pics of your tank and lighting- we can better see what is going on and give some help--https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and then post pics- please give us a run down on set up w/basking temps and how your taking them - stick ons? infrared heat gun? digital probe? Its possible he is going into brumation but we want to be sure that is what it is --- do you have a weight on him? Is he losing weight? The twitching doesnt sound good - and its possible related to the UVB --- but we wont know til we see what is going on w/ the tank
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Jenniw13":1dvk9z1u said:
so I began taking him outside and giving him more calcium and the twitching stopped and he started getting a dark orange color in his urate
This is very common when you are giving more calcium than necessarily needed. The body excretes the excess through the urates, and it often tints them brown or orange. Calcium isn't technically water soluble in the sense of other minerals that are, but it's what we see when supplementation is a bit high.
What was your supplement regimen like?

The meds could have messed up his stomach a bit, which would lead to the weird poo's for a bit while the good gut bacteria builds back up. Do you know what meds he was on?

A lot of times what looks like blood isn't actually blood in the poos. So if you could post a picture that would be helpful.

Great that the twitching stopped. I would definitely keep up with the outside time then and stick to a good supplement schedule. And you'll most likely want to verify with us your lighting so we can make sure it's suitable for him while he's in his enclosure.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That would be helpful, posting some pictures of him, along with his tank setup so we can
be sure it's all correct.
If you have a picture of the urates, that would be good too. A lot of dragons develop some
discoloration on their urates.
I am glad to hear his twitching has stopped though, that's very good. Hopefully you will be
able to get him outside for more sunshine for awhile longer before it gets too cold outside.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Jenniw13

Original Poster
Sorry it took so long to reply, and thank you for the link I got some pics up. For some info, his light is an Arcadia 12% h.o at 12 inches away w/reflector, put in right after he started twitching so fairly new
Before this one I had the reptisun 10.0 t8 at 6 inches away.

Basking is usually 100, taken with zoomed temp gauge with probe. (I test the accuracy on it occasionally)
Humidity is usually around 30 (gauge tested aswell)
Cool side is around 83-85
Not sure of his weight but when he got weighed at the vet recently he said he was a good weight.
For his r.i I took him in once a week for an injection so I'm not sure of the name of the medicine used
For his parasite, I'm pretty sure it was fenbendazole that I was told to give him, and a probiotic aswell.
He didn't give me an information on paper or anything unfortunately.
I recently switched to calcium plus for his insects
Before it was calcium 3x a week and vitamins 2×

Here are some pics, this was one of the first ones, he had a similar one with alot of brown liquid everywhere
106310-6784203811.jpg

This was a couple days ago (when I made the apt.)
106310-3722368605.jpg

And yesterday
106310-8375763185.jpg
His cage, and him chilling on his dinosaur (which he loves to death) wondering what the heck I'm doing.
I know the towels are lame, life happend and I never got to putting tile in it, then decided I want to just build him a new one -_-
106310-2707601688.jpg
106310-9405496143.jpg
*he usually has a little hide,I took it out when he was twitching because he just kept sleeping in it and needed uvb.
Thank you guys so much for helping!!

Jenniw13

Original Poster
Oh I forgot to mention today he has been doing good, running around like crazy, running up and eating some of his salad, and actually going back up to bask. He even pooped and the urate looked the most normal its looked in weeks, no red at all in it, but his actual poop was SO tiny, like just a tiny little nugget...
So weird I'm guessing bloodwork maybe just to see if something going on because it's just so weird, I just miss seeing him all happy and healthy everyday. Days like today when he is good bring me so much relief it's crazy:/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That all looks _+ sounds normal, seems like he's doing better . :) The discolored poos were most likely brought on like Brandon said, there was excess supplements being excreted. I wouldn't worry too much now. Sounds like he's doing fine. :)

Jenniw13

Original Poster
AHBD":jfh1u97e said:
That all looks _+ sounds normal, seems like he's doing better . :) The discolored poos were most likely brought on like Brandon said, there was excess supplements being excreted. I wouldn't worry too much now. Sounds like he's doing fine. :)

Okay thank you! Does it sometimes take awhile for it to get back to normal? Because I had cut back on the calcium when I first noticed it and there was still red in his following few urates.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He does look quite alert there, in good condition. :D
I'm glad to hear he is active & starting to bask also, too. It sometimes does take time for
their systems to get back to normal. Especially after medication rounds, it will throw off their
system for weeks on end but it sounds like he is on the right track now.
I don't see any black bearding going on either.

Tracie

Jenniw13

Original Poster
Okay thank you so much! He's been lazy again for the past couple days -_- hopefully the vet visit will clear him, so that if he wants to burmate he can, and hopefully that's all it is. Thank you guys again!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Do let us know how the vet exam turns out. Poor boy, he is wanting to sleep....it is that
time of year for a lot of them now. I hope that is all it is also!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom