Beardie Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mmcgrauth

Hi everyone. Our female beardie just laid a clutch of 19 eggs... noticed a lot of them starting to cave in.. added more water which brought the humidity up to 70% and temp is at a steady 83 F .
106162-6689916737.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

They are fertile, correct?
Those temperatures & humidity are pretty good. Are they in an incubator then?

Tracie

Mmcgrauth

Original Poster
Drache613":ytinh9x1 said:
Hello,

They are fertile, correct?
Those temperatures & humidity are pretty good. Are they in an incubator then?

Tracie
Yes I put a pen light behind them and I see red veins, some more prominent than the others. The yellow ones
I took out. I actually have them in a container with moistened substrate with the gauge I bought and I put a hole in the lid and then put that in an even bigger container with a small bowl of water on the opposite end, moistened the inside of the big container and covered it with press n seal because I don’t have a lid. I have the light on it enough to keep the temp and humidity steady. I definitely was not expecting eggs... and apparently she could have more!?? Is that right away?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How exciting.

How old are the eggs?

Vermiculite or perlite might have been a better substrate to use. Is that playsand? The sand looks pretty dry to me.

She could lay another clutch, but it would typically be in a few weeks.
Mmcgrauth":2fi5fwiq said:
I definitely was not expecting eggs...
Why not LOL? Or is she housed with another dragon?

-Brandon

Mmcgrauth

Original Poster
claudiusx":2jdhvpw6 said:
How exciting.

How old are the eggs?

Vermiculite or perlite might have been a better substrate to use. Is that playsand? The sand looks pretty dry to me.

She could lay another clutch, but it would typically be in a few weeks.
Mmcgrauth":2jdhvpw6 said:
I definitely was not expecting eggs...
Why not LOL? Or is she housed with another dragon?

-Brandon

She laid them either Thursday or Friday morning, so 24-48 hours ago. I had to run out and find the first thing I could for her lay bed and just used the same calcium sand for the eggs. Im new the the beardie thing so I’ve been learning as I go. I was hoping the denting wasn’t permanent but they still don’t seem to be coming back up. I’ve been misting the container edges and around each egg a few times per day. So fingers crossed that my inexperience didn’t hurt them. She is has been housed with our male for almost a month in a huge tank at our office but I wasn’t familiar with female bearded dragons so when she started acting weird I did my research and just threw together what I could.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, can you post a few pics of the incubator ? Were the eggs fully plump when they were first laid and did you add water to the calci sand right away before you put the eggs in ? Is the light/heat source shining down from above ? That can cause then to dry out quickly. I'm not sure how good the eggs will do in that substrate. I have used play sand 1-2 times at least but it's harder to keep the eggs evenly moist. I mostly used vermiculite or a verm./sand mix and it has to have enough water to get it to the consistency of sand-castle building [ thoroughly moist but not wet ] to keep the eggs in good shape. I would make a divot with my finger to lay each egg in, about 1/2 way in to the substrate. When they get near hatching time the have absorbed a lot of water + are quite plump. Here's a couple pictures :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29937/full

https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/30025/full

This one had more sand :
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/29884/full

Mmcgrauth

Original Poster
Update on my beardie eggs... laid 9/26 and still going strong in my homemade incubator. I put the eggs in the container with coconut bedding substrate and moss to cover the eggs to keep the moisture up. The eggs have started to pink and plump up and I’m super stoked... just hoping I can keep this going til they hatch ?.
106162-4075589865.jpg
106162-5793366572.jpg

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Aaradimian":1zfl4yrs said:
Very cool! Assuming all goes to plan, what are your plans for 19 little bundles of lizardy joy?
Its amazing compared to lots of warm blooded babies that reptile and amphibians are able to take care of them selves right as they hatch.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
BeardedDragonSteve":35x449f5 said:
Aaradimian":35x449f5 said:
Very cool! Assuming all goes to plan, what are your plans for 19 little bundles of lizardy joy?
Its amazing compared to lots of warm blooded babies that reptile and amphibians are able to take care of them selves right as they hatch.

Yes, we humans need to get on the stick! My 2 young nieces still haven't learned to forage for themselves and it's been several years of free-range in my brother's back yard! :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How exciting. It's been awhile since we've had some babies here :D
Looking forward to it.

-Brandon

Mmcgrauth

Original Poster
Aaradimian":2mt2930y said:
Well unfortunately only 5 of the 19 made it... most of them
were pretty yellow on the inside and only a couple veins that slowly diminished... BUT the 5 that are left are super healthy.. I will post of a pic of me candling them. I haven’t found pics of the process from start to finish, so hopefully mine will help someone else. ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's too bad. How do you know for sure they went bad, even if they only have a few veins that would not determine conclusively whether they are viable. Did they get too wet ? That will kill them + cause the to turn colors. Be sure the moss around them is not too wet.

Mmcgrauth

Original Poster
AHBD":1yy3rbse said:
That's too bad. How do you know for sure they went bad, even if they only have a few veins that would not determine conclusively whether they are viable. Did they get too wet ? That will kill them + cause the to turn colors. Be sure the moss around them is not too wet.

They started to really sink in and a few of them started to turn green so I took them out. The moss I mist every few days and the substrate I mist with water around the eggs. I check on the temp and humidity everyday to make sure they aren’t too hot/cold or to dry/wet. The 5 left seem to be really healthy. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom