Check out my new enclosure!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
full

It's a Zen Habitat that I found preowned for an amazing price! $150 total for the enclosure, the homemade stand, the main basking fixture & bulb, the Zoo Med t5 terrarium hood & Reptisun 10.0 bulb that's only a few months old, 2 feeding dishes, and 2 of the hides! I can't even believe my luck. Pancake is so happy :)

I'm not finished decorating it yet. I'm going to add my hammocks and make a bridge that goes all the way across. Before anyone asks, the little doohickey in the left corner is a digital thermometer/hygrometer. I only use it to measure humidity and ambient temp; I use a temp gun to measure her basking temps.

EDIT: That's the 24" hood. Is that ok for a 4x2x2 enclosure or should I look into buying the 36" hood? I have another identical 24" hood + bulb but when I tried putting both in, it looked like overkill and took up the space I use for her CHE. I had one hood toward the back and one toward the front but the one in the front was in the way of the CHE if that makes sense? The enclosure has 2 rods inside on the ceiling for hanging lights and whatnot so if I wanted to put the second UVB somewhere else in there, I'd have to cut holes in the screen to mount it. I don't want to do that. The CHE is non-negotiable because, without it, her temps drop too low at night. My apartment is basically a refrigerator lol.

Here's a pic of the rods I'm talking about with the hood inside mounted using them and the CHE on top and in front of the hood. Should make it easier for y'all to see what I mean about there not being enough room to put one hood in the back and one toward the front. Should I put the hood at more of an angle or is it ok the way it is?
full

Sorry for rambling. I have adult ADHD that only responds to Adderall and I don't like taking the medication unless I have to because it jacks my BP up and makes me feel weird in an unpleasant way. I have a tendency to ramble when I don't take it and I haven't taken it today....obviously.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would only use the one 24" UVB you dont need two --- I have a CHE on mine for winter -- here is pic of Blazes tank -- and the 24" is good -- the reason its to the screen is because I am using a Arcadia 14% bulb --- stronger than the T 5's - I plan to down grade that bulb to a 12% next change
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

reereejugs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ykmn912 said:
Very nice --- Pancake will love his new home!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Karrie

Oh, believe me, she absolutely does love it! She's always been active but since moving her into the new enclosure, she's been running around and having a great time :) She's like a child who has been let loose in a toy store lol.

reereejugs

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15wrih2t said:
I would only use the one 24" UVB you dont need two --- I have a CHE on mine for winter -- here is pic of Blazes tank -- and the 24" is good -- the reason its to the screen is because I am using a Arcadia 14% bulb --- stronger than the T 5's - I plan to down grade that bulb to a 12% next change
97951-7863920475.jpg
Karrie

Looks great! So the Arcadia is better than the t5 Reptisun 10.0? Would the Arcadia bulb work in my current hood? I can't really afford a new hood right now but the bulb is doable.

Do you have basking lights on each end or is one just for added light? I'm having to use a 150 watt halogen + a 60 watt halogen on one side in order to keep her main basking spot ~105°. The ambient temp on the other side is staying in the mid-70s during the day and I'm not sure what to that wouldn't raise her basking temp too high. If I move the 60 watt closer to the cool side, her basking temp drops to the mid-90s; if I use a third heat lamp and put it on the cool side, her basking temp gets too high. For reference on why I even need 2 basking lights during the day and a CHE at night with a Zen Habitat, "my apartment is basically a refrigerator" = I keep my apartment at 64° at night and 66°-68° year round.

I love your (tile?) substrate! Did you have to get it cut or did you find pieces that fit as-is? I had tile in my 40 gallon breeder and would love to use it the new enclosure but that isn't currently an option so I'm using non-stick shelf liner. My local Lowes got rid of their tile cutting machine and the nearest Home Depot is about an hour away ?. Linoleum without the sticky back also isnt an option; they refuse to cut the size I need.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tile was cut by my husband - we have a tile cutter - I got it from Home Depot for $1.99 / tile-- the light on the far right is a household bulb 60 watt keeps cool side of tank 80's during the day-- the heat emitter is sitting behind the small roach container in the middle of the tank - I use it during the winter months its a 100 watt and keeps tank 70 at nite --- the basking light is a 150 watt Exo Terra bulb -- as you can see hes got a gradient of heat - top of log is around 105 and different places ranges from 94-105 depending on where he sits on that log-- I have both my tanks in my computer room - it is warmer in that room and if I need it even warmer I close the door - as far as the UVB bulb it is up to you the 12% Arcadia is like your T 5 bulb just as good - I didnt realize when I got the 14% bulb it was so much stronger so I looked at distance on this chart www.https://www.arcadiareptile.com/lighting/full-sun-baskers/-- since it is so strong I moved the fixture to top of screen for the 24" it said - when I go to the 12% it will be set up like the T 5 distance - and yes the Arcadia fits the Zoo Med 24" fixture that I am using --- so you really dont need to change your brand of bulb if you dont want to -- also since I am using the 14% bulb I have cut down on Blazes D3 -- I am only going to give it him 2 x per week and regular calcium 3 x per week w/ the Vitamins filling the other 2 days-- I do not want to over calcium him w / the strong bulb I have going --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom