Is this gout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
Hello , so we finally are out of brumation (because I took away the hide), but he still doesn’t move much so I started reading online about gout. Could this be it based on the picture ?
83478-3664748673.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
This is the time of year they start to brumate unless your in another country and winter is ending--- if it is jut beginning winter or fall there please give him back his hide-- are the legs swollen ? I cant tell from the picture --- is he sore to touch where you think its gout--? If you can post some pics of where you think its gout that would be good-
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They go into brumation at all times of the year. It doesn't seem to have much to do with outdoor weather or seasons (I don't know why, but this is what I've observed). I don't see any joint swelling based on the photo. Do you see any swollen spots around fingers/toes or hands/feet? A blood test would help reveal signs of gout aside from visual indicators.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
I don’t see individual swellings , had the blood test done and all they said was that liver enzymes were abnormal but it’s a second year in a row like that

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Gout often shows high uric acid levels so if you didn't find that in the blood test and you don't see signs of swelling joints then I think gout is less likely.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you able to post the blood test results here for me to look at?
Is there some swelling on the right knee joint there, or not?
I would be happy to look over the blood test though, to be sure there isn't anything that the
vet may have missed.
How long has he been lethargic & does he seem to have any trouble walking, running or
climbing?

Tracie

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
83478-8335660007.jpg
83478-1080292217.jpg
83478-849070447.jpg

I’m not sure I see swelling, seems to be very far legs?
I will call the vet today to get a copy of the blood work - thank you !!

He has been like that since he started brumation, he was brumating from early April and in September I was worried so I took away his hide and now he just sits there - doesn’t want to run around or climb. If I offer him live food he gets excited and could chase it - otherwise most of the time he might move a foot and sit again for like 5 minutes.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks for posting the blood test results, that does help out.
The Uric acid levels are low, so it shouldn't be renal issues right now, anyway.
The AST or liver enzymes are a bit off but not too much out of the ranges. Their levels
can sometimes be off during brumation phases as their bodies tend to shift metabolism.
It doesn't look like he has an infection though.
You could give some milk thistle for him to help out the liver for awhile. How is his weight
doing, is he maintaining his weight?
Which UVB are you using right now?

Tracie

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
He actually gained about 10 grams since spring
He has a 10.0 reptisun t5 - I bought a whole bunch of them so I have about 3 more bulbs to go through

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, if he's been in brumation since April then it's a good move to take out his hide. Very few beardies brumate for more than 5 months and it's very hard to keep tabs on a possible health problem if they are sleeping that long. How old is he ? Did he wake up + drink during that time, was he active at all ? It's great that he didn't lose weight though + his bloods seem good. Post a few pics of his set up to show the lights , etc.

vmanilova

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Fima is 7
83478-1568606664.jpg

He woke up a few times during that time but wasn’t active.
He drinks water when I bath him
He is about 4.5 years old

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The enclosure is very nice , it's large + has a good amount of climbing areas. :) It might be good to have a very low watt bulb to lighten up the other end of the viv though, bright enclosures may keep dragons more active. What are the temps. throughout the tank ? Sorry if I missed that. Did he drink during brumation when he was awake ? BTW, I don't think it LOOKS like he has gout. His lethargy may be contributed to such a long brumation , of course there can always be other hidden problems but nothing showing on the blood tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom