New Beardie Owner and Need Help!* Added Pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone! We just became new beardie owners last week and I need a little help. Our beardie, Earl (my daughter names him lol) seemed to be adjusted pretty well at first, but now his coloring is dark most of the time. I read that darker coloring is a sign of stress. We have a 20gal tank and he has plenty of things to climb on like a hammock, tree, greenery etc... He was originally in a common area, but I believe there was too much activity going on in there so we moved him to calmer area in my daughter's room away from our other animals. The humidity levels seems to be a little high from what have read... and I cant get my temperature more than 85 or so.The basking and UV light are well within the 6-8 inches recommended. Is it maybe the bulb? He was eating crickets well and some of the freeze dried fruit/veggie mixes some, but since yesterday, he hasn't shown much interest to anything - even the crickets. Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions ? I could use any help and tips! I just wanted to note, that we are not new to reptiles- my son has had a snake for the last 2 years - but this beardie is a whole different experience. ;)

I have let my daughter handle him a little since we have gotten him- just once a day or so for a few minutes.... I have been trying to get him acclimated but i am worried since he is staying the darker coloring a lot more lately.

106281-2251723758.jpg
106281-3890659087.jpg
106281-8482175748.jpg
106281-4138714625.jpg
106281-6303936541.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so first a 20 gallon tank is kind of hard to get temps in order --- what kind of lighting - you said 6-8 inches ? is that just the basking just the UVB or is it a all in one? Yes hes going thru relocation stress and his eating will be slow at first but he should not stop eating all together -- so the darkness is probably stress and maybe trying to absorb heat -- especially if temps are only at 85 for a high -- not good - basking temps should be 105-110 for him and cool side 80's during the day and nite not below 60-65 --- I had a 20 gallon long tank and this is the way I had mine set up - the UVB was a Reptisun T 8 tube -- the basking was a 75 watt set up on a clamp - here is a pic -
97951-9562450009.jpg
the lamp on far right was a heat emitter - used for a few days after I got Blaze cuz he was so little -
diet should consist of live insects crickets or dubia roaches fed as many as he will eat in 5-10 minutes - but you should feed vegies first w/ some BSFL on top and or some small super worms if you can find them --- that movement in salad will get him to the bowl - 3 small supers are good or 6-8 BSFL too - they are a good staple feeder - but you want him eating those vegies - after about 30 minutes or so feed him his bugs dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and Vitamins 2 x per week - I use the Reptitvite as it has beta carotene in it and not the synthetic Vit A--
here is a website for nutrition •
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
here is a website for BSFL
https://symtonbsf.com/ these are a good staple feeder as well and do not need to be dusted - however they are tiny
If you have any more questions please ask--- your little guy will not be in that 20 gallon tank very long -- you might want to start looking at finding another bigger tank - you can look on FB marketplace or craigslist for tanks or you can get new -- but I would try and get one as big as you can afford - 40 gallon is the least but 75 or 120 is recommended --- and one w/ front doors -- also its good you moved him to a quieter area for now - but he will adjust and they do like socialization
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Are you using that dial thermometer or do you have a digital with probe end or an ir thermometer?

The dials are extremely inaccurate.
There is nothing more important to a dragons health than proper temperatures so you must make sure you are measuring them with an accurate device.
For your baby you will want a basking surface temp of around 105-110.
If hes dark all the time it could be because hes too cold. But we wont know until you measure the temps with an accurate device.

In the pictures he doesnt really look dark.

Oh and of course, welcome to the site! :mrgreen:

-Brandon

mrsdevildog2003

Original Poster
Thank you for your reply....

The lightening is a dual dome light - one side is the UV light and the other is a basking light. I am not sure how you have yours in the tank and clamped. Do you have a better picture of that ? I am not sure the wattage- it was whatever came in the bearded dragon kit for the 20 gal tank. We go the kit since it had so much in it already but we did not use the sand since there is so much info against it. We do have the blacked out lights but after reading several posts on here, I will not be using that from now on.

I guess I am now confused on the diet after your reply... We got our beardie from Petsmart and they told us crickets in the morning and using the other supplements as a snack throughout the day. We feed him crickets at least twice a day if he will eat them...since he doesn't really eat the other stuff we leave out for him. I feel like we leave other stuff in there for him to eat and it goes bad before he does anything with it. Maybe I am just not sure of the portions. You stated that I should feed him the veggies and stuff first...but when I have tried give him veggies he just turns his 'nose' up at them. I have only really got excitement concerning foods from the crickets.

mrsdevildog2003

Original Poster
Brandon-

I am using the dial ones that came with the kit, but I have seen several different ones mentioned on this site. What is the best one to use? The ones with the dials keep falling off the sides and they are not my favorite. We have had him for about a week and we are still learning. This is very different from our snake.

The pictures don't show how dark he really is... but he looks like a dark gray versus the egg shell color he usually is .

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep and that is normal about the not eating vegies that is why I said to feed first w/ the small super worms and BSFL-- they are a grub and will get their attention to that food bowl -- I would not listen to the pet smart people most have never owned a dragon and lets just say the outcome of people listening to the pet smart people is not very good --- it is best to feed fresh not stuff out of a jar or can --- most on here feed all fresh vegies - that is why I gave you the nutrition website --- now the UVB I am assuming it is a coil ? In a 20 gallon tank I guess it can be used but for me and others do not recommend it --- the long fixture is a 18" Zilla fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T8 --- I set it width wise cuz its not long enough to go length which is what most do in a reg size tank for a dragon- it is sitting on top w/ no screen -- the basking light is on the end attached to a clamp so its high enough to get those temps you need of 105-110-
You need to feed your dragon 2 times per day possibly 3 - but I recommend vegies first w/ the small super worms like 3 on top along w/ the BSFL-- you can feed him his crickets after he has eaten the other stuff first - believe me you want him started on vegies now because when he gets older towards his year or so older that diet needs to switch to mostly vegies and less bugs -- right now its 80% bugs and 20% vegies -- a year or a little older it will be reversed --- you dont want to give him a shock w/ just the vegies at that age and he will want only bugs -- they are stubborn little guys--
It is trial and error w/ temps and please get a infrared heat gun and or a digital probe thermometer -- the probe for $5 from pet smart and $10-12 heat gun from your local home improvement store does not haft to be expensive-- that will give you an accurate temp of his basking spot--- you will need both and will use both --- they are a good investment -- please ask more questions if you have them -- but the lighting for your tanks the 20 gallon and the one you will be upgrading too is crucial to the health of your baby
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Pretty much any digital thermometer with wired probe end that you can find at any petstore will do :)

They are pretty cheap it should be less than 10 dollars.

Just place the probe end on the spot you want to measure, and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes to get a good reading.

Once you do that we will be able to make suggestions on what to do in regards to heat. For what its it's worth, I've tested some of the dial thermometers and found them in some cases to be off by over 30 degrees. So you really can't trust them at all.

Unfortunately, the uvb bulbs that fit in those double dome fixtures aren't really adequate. They are the compact bulbs and they really dont put out proper amounts of uv for our dragons.

You will definitely want to switch to the long tube versions like karrie showed in her picture. The reptisun 10.0 and the Arcadia bulbs are great choices.

As far as diet goes for a young one, firstly remember that variety is key. If you can manage it, a mixture of different insects is best and the same with salad items.
Young ones need live feeders 2 or 3 times a day, and they should be allowed to eat as many as they want in those feedings.
Dust with your calcium supplement 5x a week
And your multi if you use one 2x a week.

Lots of good info around here that usually is contrary to what petstores advise. I'd recommend spending some free time if you get a chance reading some threads and articles here. Pay extra mind to the enclosures and feeding sections :)

-Brandon

mrsdevildog2003

Original Poster
Thanks Brandon and Karrie! I will definitely be doing some reading and shopping it sounds like for some new items. I am a little overwhelmed... I will admit...

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know it really can be overwhelming at first. Especially when the petstore tells you one thing and we tell you another. Most petstores really dont know much about specific exotics, however here you have the collective knowledge and advice of thousands of dragon owners throughout the years.

Let's just take it 1 step at a time and first get a better thermometer.
Then we can link you to a couple good uvb bulbs and the fixture you will need for them.

I know it seems like a lot at first, but once you get everything setup in the beginning, it really becomes fool proof and quite easy. Then you'll be able to breath and enjoy your little one :)
We are here to help.

-Brandon

mrsdevildog2003

Original Poster
Quick question about the 18" Zilla fixture w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T8 - I am doing some research and there is different watts for the bulbs. What do I need for the 20 gal tank? What is typical?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You will haft to upgrade your tank to a bigger one so I would think for your next tank size- w/ that in mind and so you don't haft to buy another fixture I would recommend a 24" fixture granted it's gonna be bigger than your tank your using now but a better investment- the reason I used the zilla fixture is because I had it already--- you can still set it up the same way width wise- the zilla fixtures come w/ a 50 watt bulb which is a T 8 -- you can use that but like I said recommend the 24"--- you can use the zilla 18"on a 40 gallon tank but I recommend a bigger fixture for a larger tank--- you decide on what you want to do lots of options
Karrie

mrsdevildog2003

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie!

Your dragon is a beauty...and looks huge! but then again, mine is still a baby. How old is yours?

You and Brandon has given me lots of good information. What about humidity? Mine is in the mid 30's I believe...I think that is a little low from what I have read. What do you guys do for that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your humidity is good --- when it gets over 70% then you need to be concerned--- here is a pic of my two Hiccup is 19 months and Blaze is around 11 weeks old--- each have their own set ups-
97951-2006586134.jpg
Hiccup
97951-8330922839.jpg
Blaze
97951-7863920475.jpg
Blazes tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom