STOP POOPING EVERYWHERE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

So my little Diego is almost 3 months old. From the first few days I got him, he has always love to held. He never fought me, and usually was able to stay on my shoulder or arm, without running.
However, recently, there's a problem.
Every SINGLE time I take him out of his tank now, he poops! Even though he always makes a huge bowel movement before I take him out!
It started two days ago, I took him out in the kitchen, and he pooped on the floor!
The second time, I was holding him, and he pooped on my hand!
And the third time, was just now, on the couch!
I am so frustrated, and extremely upset, because this is a new bad habit of his. He never used to do this!!
I'm upset because I literally can't even take him out anymore, or spend time with him, because he just poops everywhere! Even if he literally barely has any poop coming out!

Please help!! What do I do??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well just count your blessings.
Some people at this very moment are stressed that their dragons dont poo enough! :lol:

There really isnt much you can do besides try to change up your handling schedule if it seems that he poos constantly around the same time.

-Brandon

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
There are a lot of people on YT who claim you can "potty train" a BD with morning baths, and that once this is established, they won't poop anywhere else.

In their natural habitats, most animals won't defecate where they eat/sleep. This is why dogs & cats are so easy to train. It's possible (though I have no proof) that this also applies to BDs. If it does, it could mean that he'd like to defecate outside his enclosure, but sometimes can't wait, so he does what he needs to, then when he is outside his enclosure (and more at ease about it) let's go with whatever's left.

Proposed Experiment: Try taking him out of his enclosure first thing until he evacuates (where you'd like him to go), then see how he does from then on. If he empties himself first thing, he may be good for the day or the rest of his outing (depending on his natural rhythm/schedule).

Best Wishes

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
An advantage to the above experiment (if it works) that I forgot to mention, is that you (ostensibly) won't need to clean his enclosure as often. :D

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's so nice if you can potty train them lol.
I had one that would only poo in the bath. And it was like clockwork. Almost 30 seconds after being in the bath, she would butt wiggle and let loose :D

-Brandon

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
After my beardy got a more consistent feeding schedule, she got a more consistent pooping schedule. Fed greens at 7:00ish AM (iirc? I'm not the one up at that time), and crix at 6:00PM. Either feeding used to fluctuate by a little in either direction (i know i know, no bueno :roll: )

Anyway, she started pooping in the same spot same time expecting food to be coming soon in the morning. Started putting a paper towel there for easy cleaning, 9 times outta 10 it's that spot that time since solidifying schedule.

I had the same problem early on, she would always poop on ME... didn't last long though. I didn't really do anything to correct it other than she was immediately placed back in tank if she did so.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes it's just the excitement that makes it happen. When you take him out keep a wadded paper towel or folded newspaper in your hand, actually both. You should be able to see the little tail + hip movement right when the deed is about to happen. Tuck the paper under him + when he's done give him a little wipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom