Bearded dragon Mad Constipated Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred567

Hey, my girl is constipated to the max. Going on two weeks, she’s always had a problem with passing her stool even since I got her . It’s just genetics I think, she isn’t fed a lot of protein and mostly collards . She doesn’t like pooping in her terrarium, and only poos in the bath. I’ve been giving her daily baths for some time and she just can’t do it. I’ve given her olive oil for a laxative and still nothing . Starting to get worried . Any remedies to help her pass her stool? Anything would help thanks . Temps sit around 90-100 cool side 70.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

While it can be slightly concerning, 2 weeks isn't out of the realm of normal for adult dragons. They really can seemingly go weeks in between poos.

But, just to make sure everything is ok, can you go over a few things with us?

What are you measuring the temperatures with?
Thanks kind of a large range. What is the basking surface temp where she typically basks?

I know you mentioned mainly salads, but does she get any proteins at all? If so which and how much?

As long as she isn't visibly distressed from the build up, I wouldn't worry too much. She can still move around well right?
You can try dripping some squash baby food on her nose and let her lick it up. Or put it on her salad leaves if she eats them well. The baby food tends to help loosen things up better than the olive oil IMO.

-Brandon

Fred567

Original Poster
Really? I read that they should poo daily or at least every other day. I used a infrared heat temp gun a few months ago, and it was pretty accurate. Right now my battery’s in my temp gage are out so I have to get some new ones by I’m guessing the temps are very much the same. I feed her super worms once a week usually , and I have started a Dubai colony and I’m slowly transitioning to them as they grow and reproduce. She doesn’t seem to stressed and she still eats well. I’ve avoided feeding her any more worms or roaches for the time being tho. She hasn’t had protein for a week and a half which adds to my worries, as I am scared to impact her any more.

Fred567

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I live in the prairies and there isn’t a lot of baby food available that doesn’t have preservatives and artificial flavouring. I’ve checked my local grocery store and I can’t find squash baby food.

Fred567

Original Poster
And she can still move around well, although she is quite lazy lol when she does decide to move she is still pretty agile .

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
For babies and growing dragons, daily or every other day poos are more common as they are eating much more and their metabolisms are much quicker as they are still growing.
Adults tend to slow down, in more ways than one. Pooing is usually one of them. Sometimes they will poo often, other times they will go a few weeks. But it's pretty common and definitely not unheard of for an adult to go 3 weeks without pooing.

However, it definitely makes us feel better when they do go. So I would continue with her baths if she doesn't detest them.
You can make your own "babyfood" if you have a blender or food processor. Just add the squash or pumpkin or what-have-you in with a bit of water to make a puree. You could even add your olive oil to the mix instead of the water if you'd like.

I would go ahead and feed her some protein at this point. Sometimes it does take a bit more solids in the diet to move things along. 2 or 3 supers should be just fine. Is she a good chewer? :D

It's good that shes moving around well. It most likely is a sign that you're worried about it more than she is :mrgreen:

-Brandon

Fred567

Original Poster
Alright thanks! I will try that tommorow and see how it goes , she is also in brumation so that might be contributing to it. I’ll post tommorow to see if she does . ??

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh, well if she's in brumation then that's perfectly normal! I wouldn't worry about it at all. Just let her finish up her brumation, I wouldn't even do the slurry unless she's up for it.

They REALLY slow down during brumation. I wouldn't be concerned if my dragon didn't poo at all, or only once or twice during brumation. :D
It's all very natural, their bodies slow, metabolism slows, eating slows, so of course, pooing will slow too :)

-Brandon

Fred567

Original Poster
Yea haha thanks ! Another thing that’s happening that has been odd is she is shedding and I’ve been finding these flakes they are white. It’s almsot like it’s shed but it’s flakes , have you ever heard of this?

Fred567

Original Poster
I don’t know if it’s from the shed or not. She only shed some of her beard and the side of her mouth. It just showed up yesterday and today.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How long has she been down, brumating to an extent?
If she is down for the most part, if she isn't eating much, her metabolism will be very slown
down & not much of anything will pass through.
I agree, they can go for long periods of time without going to the bathroom, in a true brumation
phase.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom