Eye problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
is that the coil shining outward so its directly in his eyes? like I said I would shut it off take him outside till you can get it replaced--- I am thinking this is causing the eye issues but later on down the road its gonna cause more
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thanks for the picture.

The red bulb should go also. You want a white light for a basking bulb. That should help a lot too.

-Brandon

Sydney00720

Original Poster
claudiusx":vpxh8w34 said:
Thanks for the picture.

The red bulb should go also. You want a white light for a basking bulb. That should help a lot too.

-Brandon
I had a white bulb but it would never keep his tank warm. He was cold. Ive been struggling with a bulb to keep it warm since I switched to the 40 gallon. What's your recommendations for bulbs. I have one for night what about a basking? He's my first beardie. ( his name is Draco btw) and everything was going good till now.

Sydney00720

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ekrjwak said:
is that the coil shining outward so its directly in his eyes? like I said I would shut it off take him outside till you can get it replaced--- I am thinking this is causing the eye issues but later on down the road its gonna cause more
Karrie
The one shining isn't the coil. The coil is on but for a split second to see the setup. I have been struggling for bulbs to keep his tank warm. That one has kept it warm. I didn't know it could affect him. I'm sorry I feel bad. I tried to learn alot before I got him and till now.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the red bulb--- you need a bright white basking bulb for basking- it's gonna be trial and error for bulb--- next you can get a ceramic heat emitter or che they have 75 watt bulbs and 100 watt bulbs- you will need a dome w/ a socket- they produce heat NO LIGHT-- make sure you have a infrared heat gun or / and digital probe to get actual basking temps- probe you can get for $5 at pet smart or petco- infrared gun from your local home improvement stores for around $10-12--- you can shop at Amazon for heat emitter bulbs- I am thinking between the red bulb and coil he was getting double whammy for eye issues-- please get rid of both of those bulbs
Karrie

Sydney00720

Original Poster
KarrieRee said:
Please get rid of the red bulb--- you need a bright white basking bulb for basking- it's gonna be trial and error for bulb--- next you can get a ceramic heat emitter or che they have 75 watt bulbs and 100 watt bulbs- you will need a dome w/ a socket- they produce heat NO LIGHT-- make sure you have a infrared heat gun or / and digital probe to get actual basking temps- probe you can get for $5 at pet smart or petco- infrared gun from your local home improvement stores for around $10-12--- you can shop at Amazon for heat emitter bulbs- I am thinking between the red bulb and coil he was getting double whammy for eye issues-- please get rid of both of those bulbs
Karrie[/quote
Got rid of both. I have extra bulbs, I'll have to see what they are. ( have another lizard so I have a couple extra bulbs ) I have the ceramic bulb for him tho.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I was gonna say if your tank is not dropping below 60-65 at nite your good - anything below that I would use the CHE-- if you need anymore help just ask
Karrie

Sydney00720

Original Poster
KarrieRee":x4n9behe said:
Ok so I was gonna say if your tank is not dropping below 60-65 at nite your good - anything below that I would use the CHE-- if you need anymore help just ask
Karrie

I will. Thank you and everyone who helped me!!!! Draco says thank you as well!!

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
Sydney00720":16bjzeq1 said:
Sydney00720":16bjzeq1 said:
claudiusx":16bjzeq1 said:
Ok great! Was just trying to rule out any possible substrate or sand in the eyes :)

I know you already gave us details on your lighting, but could you perhaps post a picture of the setup so we could see it? The coils did tend to cause eye issues a few years back but that issue was remedied more or less. Now they would only theoretically cause eye issues if they were too close or the dragon was making direct line of sight with it.
Still, they aren't sufficient for dragons so changing it out is still the best idea :)

-Brandon
Idk how to add a picture of his tank. Sorry I'm new ? im trying to figure it out

I figured it out!! Here you go. Sorry it took so long
106262-2550462624.jpg

Is that a red light? I think colored lights can hurt their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom