Heating Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey. I have a 120 gallon zen habitats enclosure for my beardie. However, the tank isn’t getting nearly hot enough. The basking area for example can barely reach 85 degrees. Any ideas on how to fix this? And or any light fixture recommendations?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

What type of bulb and wattage are you using right now?

And what are you measuring your temps with?

-Brandon

Beardielover223

Original Poster
I’m using the 2-in-1 exo terra 150 watt light bulb. Wasn’t the ideal choice but my sister insisted that one because she didn’t want to pay any more money than that. (I forgot my card at home). Planning on switching it out for a better one just want to know the best one.
I use a temp gun for temperature measurements.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Do you have a digital with probe end that you can verify temps from the ir gun with? Sometimes it guns dont read certain surfaces correctly.
Or if you could tell us what material your basking site is made of?

So is it the exo terrain solar glo? Uvb and heat?

Those tend to get pretty hot, usually. How far away is it?

Would you be able to post a picture?

I'm using 50w bulbs in my 4x2x2s and its keeping my temps almost too warm! Lol. But that's why I typically like uvb and heat to be separate bulbs, that way I can adjust temps like that.

-Brandon

Beardielover223

Original Poster
The basking spot is a log. I don’t remember what kind of light it is. The light is on an arm stand because I have had issues in the past w the light burning the screen lid. When I measure the temp of the bulb itself at some places it is well over 200 degrees. But the temperature greatly decreases once it actually reaches the cage. The light is about a foot or so from the basking spot but I can’t really lower it any more than that. And I did have a probe but it broke. And the only other one I have is being used in my other beardies cage.
106247-7575818272.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I have the same tank and am using the Exo Terra 150 watt - it keeps my tank different temps on the basking area - it sits on the screen w/ no issues-- here is a pic of the tank
97951-6618921375.jpg
the log at the top is the hottest of course around 105 or 104 -- then there are different temps at different spots on that log- Hiccup can pic and choose where he wants to sit
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
Beardielover223":2f4cec8r said:
Any ideas on how to fix this?
One word: Insulation.

You can use rigid insulation (pink, blue, or white) or multiple layers of corrugated cardboard. You can also insulate the top where the lights aren't. This should allow you to use lower wattage and save on electricity. How much? Pull out your most recent electric bill, go here, and plug in the numbers. The difference between a 75 watt bulb and a 150 watt bulb may surprise you, especially over the average 10 yr. lifespan of a bearded dragon. :wink:

Beardielover223

Original Poster
[/quote] especially over the average 10 yr. lifespan of a bearded dragon. :wink:[/quote]

Well my beardie is already 11 so...

It’s hard to say how long a beardie lives cause different people give u different answers. I say my magic answer is around 12-15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom