Hello, me again...picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
So i got a beardy about 3 weeks ago. He is about 6 or 7 inches long. When i first got him he ate great even his greens and pooped daily. Now he poops every couple days it seems, and he hardly eats any bugs! He wont touch silk worms, maybe eats 5 or so Dubia roaches, and today wouldn’t even touch phoenix worms! Yesterday I gave him some mealworms and he ate 15. So obviously he is hungry, and he likes those, but i cannot feed him those every day. This morning i didn't have time to baby him to eat, so i threw some phoenix worms in a salad and left it in his tank (i had to go to work). Chances are i will come home to all the salad gone and the worms still hanging out (that’s what happened with the silk worms). The lighting and temps in the tank are fine. He is shedding, however i don’t think that’s the issue. HELP!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Shedding definitely makes them a bit upset and picky. It will usually decrease their appetite.

As long as he is eating something, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let him finish his shed and things should be a bit better. They are good about picking which foods they like though, and holding out until they get them.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
15 meal worms for a baby is not good -- meal worms are too hard on the stomach--- just to make sure you think its not the shedding what is the lighting in the tank ???? brand and bulb please--- please lay off the meal worms ----
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2tr32at0 said:
15 meal worms for a baby is not good -- meal worms are too hard on the stomach--- just to make sure you think its not the shedding what is the lighting in the tank ???? brand and bulb please--- please lay off the meal worms ----
Karrie

I have told you the lighting and temps in other posts and you have said they are fine. Reptisun 5.0 T5 and basking temp is 107, cool side is 80. That was the only time he’s had mealworms since the first week i had him. I know meal worms aren’t good that’s why I mentioned it on here cus its the only worm he is willing to eat and i know he can’t have them daily...and am asking for help. That was one time so No need to tell me to lay off of them like i give them to him daily thanks. Unless you want to answer my question, move on.

So for those who want to ACTUALLY help me with what i asked about on here....would it be possible that he holds out and starves himself? I am really worried and can’t afford to keep buying all these bugs that he is refusing to eat...or will he eventually be okay with the dubia roaches and phoenix worms?

hellabombskies

Original Poster
claudiusx":23oyufll said:
Hi there,

Shedding definitely makes them a bit upset and picky. It will usually decrease their appetite.

As long as he is eating something, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Let him finish his shed and things should be a bit better. They are good about picking which foods they like though, and holding out until they get them.

-Brandon

So if mealworms is what he’s holding out for, and I don’t give them to him, then what can happen? I don’t want to starve him and he is obviously hungry, just not for what’s good for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have some tips on how to get him to eat vegies- I will post when I get home
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as he is healthy, he won't let himself starve as long as food is available.

I feed all my dragons mealworms, but it's part of a varied diet. The problem becomes when they don't want to eat anything else.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Feed his vegies FIRST thing in the morning w/ 3 super worms on top and get some BSFL and use those as well around 6-8 or so -- put them on top of salad in bowl he can climb into --- do this so he sees you doing this -- the movement will draw him to bowl --- then after about 45 minutes or so feed him his insects---- I would recommend dubia roaches and put those in the bowl you fed vegies in --- you can take some of the vegies out so he can see the bugs but leave some in so he still has to eat those too --- no more meal worms they are too hard on his tummy ---
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2c81morf said:
Feed his vegies FIRST thing in the morning w/ 3 super worms on top and get some BSFL and use those as well around 6-8 or so -- put them on top of salad in bowl he can climb into --- do this so he sees you doing this -- the movement will draw him to bowl --- then after about 45 minutes or so feed him his insects---- I would recommend dubia roaches and put those in the bowl you fed vegies in --- you can take some of the vegies out so he can see the bugs but leave some in so he still has to eat those too --- no more meal worms they are too hard on his tummy ---
Karrie

Please re read my post. HE WONT EAT ANY OTHER INSECT BUT MEALWORMS! I have tried dubia roaches and other insects and he eats one or 2. I have put them in the salad, I have done it in front of him. He will literally eat all the greens and leave the worms. So i basically need to know if he will eventually eat other insects because he obviously only likes mealworms and i cannot feed him those regularly. Please re read my post.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I did and you need to quit feeding him the meal worms --- you can try BFSL -- they are a staple feeder and do not require dusting -- they are small and full of calcium-- hes got you trained --- he wont starve him self -- at least hes eating the salad thats good --- have you tried crickets?
Karrie

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":23rq1w0s said:
I did and you need to quit feeding him the meal worms --- you can try BFSL -- they are a staple feeder and do not require dusting -- they are small and full of calcium-- hes got you trained --- he wont starve him self -- at least hes eating the salad thats good --- have you tried crickets?
Karrie

Lady...i fed him meal worms ONE TIME. You keep saying quit feeding him mealworms like he gets them daily. I made it clear that i know he must be eating staple feeders. Please stop responding to my thread you are not helping. Take a reading comprehension course.

hellabombskies

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2kmy73ur said:
Karrie

Also if you ACTUALLY read and understand my post, you will see i have been giving him phoenix worms which are bsfl and he won't eat them. Reading comprehension helps. Please go away so i can get real help on here. Thanks

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
hellabombskies":gtx0pwa8 said:
KarrieRee":gtx0pwa8 said:
Karrie

Also if you ACTUALLY read and understand my post, you will see i have been giving him phoenix worms which are bsfl and he won't eat them. Reading comprehension helps. Please go away so i can get real help on here. Thanks
You need to be a bit more polite. How far away is the uvb bulb from the basking site. 6-7 dubia roaches are good because of how nutritious they are as long as their gut loaded. What is in the salad, what substrate is he on, has he been pooping?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Did he finish up his shedding?
How is his eating doing now?

Hopefully he's doing better!

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom