Humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the red bulb--- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term eye damage-- dragons need darkness to sleep-- as long as the temp in tank does not drop below 60-65 at nite your good-- that red bulb is disturbing his sleep-- if you need extra heat invest in a ceramic heat emitter or che they are called- they produce heat only no light--
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":23esi9so said:
Please get rid of the red bulb--- it hurts their eyes and can cause long term eye damage-- dragons need darkness to sleep-- as long as the temp in tank does not drop below 60-65 at nite your good-- that red bulb is disturbing his sleep-- if you need extra heat invest in a ceramic heat emitter or che they are called- they produce heat only no light--
Karrie
Ok thank you and should I move the basking lamp because I noticed when I put the metal below so it’s not so close to her but the temperature was at the 90’s so I put it back on mesh screen to bring it up.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the basking temp should be 95-105 --- if your in that range your good - make sure your getting an accurate temp w/ a probe or infrared heat gun- and its nice to offer a gradient of temps for them to pick as to where they want to sit and bask -
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":10p5tp36 said:
the basking temp should be 95-105 --- if your in that range your good - make sure your getting an accurate temp w/ a probe or infrared heat gun- and its nice to offer a gradient of temps for them to pick as to where they want to sit and bask -
Karrie
Ok my thermometer is a probe that measures humidity and temperature and it’s coming in two days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok well keep an eye on him watch what hes doing for his behavior -- he will tell you w/ that if things are off -- the humidity is fine w/ the hygrometer you have on tank now - its the temp on it thats only giving ambient temps -- you want actual temp of where he is sitting to bask -- your probe will give you those - I would invest in a infrared heat gun down the road - they are around $10-12 at Home Depot or Lowes and you will use it -- its a good investment
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":xbsedbc2 said:
Ok well keep an eye on him watch what hes doing for his behavior -- he will tell you w/ that if things are off -- the humidity is fine w/ the hygrometer you have on tank now - its the temp on it thats only giving ambient temps -- you want actual temp of where he is sitting to bask -- your probe will give you those - I would invest in a infrared heat gun down the road - they are around $10-12 at Home Depot or Lowes and you will use it -- its a good investment
Karrie
I just got the thermometer a hour ago and I forgot it wasn’t a combo meter but I’m going to get one soon. Is it good idea to have the combo meter on the basking side and have the regular thermometer probe in the cool side. So far I put the probe in the tank and the temperature is 95 and rising a bit. I’ll give it a day for accurate measurement and I’ll surely invest in the temperature gun, could you perhaps send a link to good affordable temperature gun. Would be gladly appreciated.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can let the probe sit on the basking area where he sits for 10 minutes -- then check it- his basking spot should be 95-105 or so for an adult and 105-110 for a baby--- you can check Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement store for the infrared heat gun -- I ordered mine from Walmart but it came from a different vendor --- it looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-Non-Contact/dp/B07PVZ4WH4/ref=sr_1_7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1-DDr_GF5QIVjIbACh3oKwn9EAAYASAAEgJnqvD_BwE&hvadid=241884699540&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9020114&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8824780915108411895&hvtargid=kwd-1396287691&hydadcr=24633_10399728&keywords=laser+temperature+gun&qid=1570304840&sr=8-7-it doesnt need to be fancy --- I think I paid like $10 or so for it -- I just use it to get temps for basking are around the tank as well ---
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20rb0c8t said:
You can let the probe sit on the basking area where he sits for 10 minutes -- then check it- his basking spot should be 95-105 or so for an adult and 105-110 for a baby--- you can check Home Depot or Lowes or any home improvement store for the infrared heat gun -- I ordered mine from Walmart but it came from a different vendor --- it looks like this https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Infrared-Thermometer-Temperature-Non-Contact/dp/B07PVZ4WH4/ref=sr_1_7?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1-DDr_GF5QIVjIbACh3oKwn9EAAYASAAEgJnqvD_BwE&hvadid=241884699540&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9020114&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8824780915108411895&hvtargid=kwd-1396287691&hydadcr=24633_10399728&keywords=laser+temperature+gun&qid=1570304840&sr=8-7-it doesnt need to be fancy --- I think I paid like $10 or so for it -- I just use it to get temps for basking are around the tank as well ---
Karrie
Thank you and everyone that has helped me with this

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2bt5qboi said:
Karrie
I have a question so for a uvb light i need a 10.0 because she’s a desert reptile right? Also I’m getting the t8 because I might as well take the screen cover off.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes she is a desert reptile -- but the 10.0 T 8 is the one you can get and yes you can take the screen off but just make sure the basking spot is 6-8 inches--- so your choice if you want the screen off or on -- any more questions please ask
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1o9ap2zg said:
Yes she is a desert reptile -- but the 10.0 T 8 is the one you can get and yes you can take the screen off but just make sure the basking spot is 6-8 inches--- so your choice if you want the screen off or on -- any more questions please ask
Karrie
Ok I just wanted to know if I’m getting the correct bulb and which is better the 24 inch or 18 inch for a twenty gallon. The tank is 30"L x 12"W x 12"H. I also wanted to know if a 55 gallon tank is big enough for her in the next couple of months.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would go w/ the 24" since your getting a 55 gallon-- I dont think you want to buy two fixtures -- you can take the 24" and put it width wise instead of length wise on the 20 gallon - I had used a 18" for the 20 gallon but was upgrading to a 120 gallon and so I ordered another 24" for the 120 gallon -- I have 2 beardies and have basically the same set up for each tank --- have your decor under the UVB approx 6-8 inches from the basking area
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1tttf4j0 said:
I would go w/ the 24" since your getting a 55 gallon-- I dont think you want to buy two fixtures -- you can take the 24" and put it width wise instead of length wise on the 20 gallon - I had used a 18" for the 20 gallon but was upgrading to a 120 gallon and so I ordered another 24" for the 120 gallon -- I have 2 beardies and have basically the same set up for each tank --- have your decor under the UVB approx 6-8 inches from the basking area
Karrie
So I should get the lamp from zoo med and the Zoo Med Labs Reptisun T8 Terrarium Hood, 24" right

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So if you get the 24" fixture from Zoo Med that is a good fixture its what I have but I have the T 5 bulb meaning its a stronger bulb but you can use the T 8 as well --- you will need to change the bulb out in 6 months --- but since its going to be used for the 20 gallon yes use the T 8 for now later you can change it to the T 5 when you get him into the 55 gallon - the T 5 will be too strong for the 20 gallon tank --so you have that option later --
Karrie

Mishathedragon

Original Poster
KarrieRee":tmyyss4u said:
So if you get the 24" fixture from Zoo Med that is a good fixture its what I have but I have the T 5 bulb meaning its a stronger bulb but you can use the T 8 as well --- you will need to change the bulb out in 6 months --- but since its going to be used for the 20 gallon yes use the T 8 for now later you can change it to the T 5 when you get him into the 55 gallon - the T 5 will be too strong for the 20 gallon tank --so you have that option later --
Karrie
Is 36x18x18 a 50 or 40 gallon tank because the 55 gallon tank I was supposed to get was taken before I even had a chance. If you could send a link to a terrarium of 50 or 55 that’s able to open from the front with a locking system it’s appreciated. The one I was looking at was the Exo-Terra® Natural Terrarium Reptile Habitat 36x18x18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom