Not an RI, Abscess & Jaw Fracture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
daveferns1":3tskzdms said:
Sorry I haven't read everything in this post, but Ive tried to update myself. Im so sorry about your little dragon I hope he is feeling better, did your vet prescribe meloxicam for him at all during this?

No, the vet did not prescribe any pain killers. He thankfully hasn't black bearded or really shown signs of discomfort; I'm not sure if Pancake is truly indifferent to it or just hiding any pain. When I let him have some exercise/exploring time he was running around/moving normally.

Update: I went downstairs to check on him and he was picking out some more Repashy from his bowl.

Blackenedsabbath":wrx10rox said:
No, the vet did not prescribe any pain killers. He thankfully hasn't black bearded or really shown signs of discomfort; I'm not sure if Pancake is truly indifferent to it or just hiding any pain. When I let him have some exercise/exploring time he was running around/moving normally.

Update: I went downstairs to check on him and he was picking out some more Repashy from his bowl.

Amazing, your dragon is a tough little guy. Yea I dont think meloxicam is used frequently for reptiles but it can be used im pretty sure, if he ever seems in pain and you wanna take him back it might be something to ask about. Hope he recovers fully!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It sounds like it is not causing that much pain. His activity level + attempts to feed are all excellent signs. :) It prob. hurts some when he eats but he seems to be enduring it well.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Meloxicam is fairly routinely used with reptiles.
I am happy to hear he is doing better & his appetite is improving. It sounds like he is slowly
improving & doesn't have unbearable pain right now.
Since he is starting to eat voluntarily hopefully he is on the road to recovery, even if it is a slow
one.

Keep us posted on his progress.
Tracie

Ziggy17

I've been following silently and am glad to hear your little guy is doing okay.

In terms of a camera, I just bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-Indoor-Camera-Vision/dp/B07DGR98VQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2MF4OI07XEMST&keywords=wyze+pan+cam&qid=1570125415&s=gateway&sprefix=Wyze+p%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-3) - The Wyze pan cam. I really like it a lot and it's not too expensive. You can access a live stream from your phone and I also have a 64gb microSD so I can go back and review footage, if necessary. I bought it to check on Ziggy while I am out of town (as my sitter only stops by in the AM) and have loved checking in on him while i'm at work.

Hope this helps you and Mr. Pan!

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Ziggy17":llao25hh said:

In terms of a camera, I just bought this one (https://www.amazon.com/Wyze-1080p-Indoor-Camera-Vision/dp/B07DGR98VQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2MF4OI07XEMST&keywords=wyze+pan+cam&qid=1570125415&s=gateway&sprefix=Wyze+p%2Caps%2C166&sr=8-3) - The Wyze pan cam. I really like it a lot and it's not too expensive. You can access a live stream from your phone and I also have a 64gb microSD so I can go back and review footage, if necessary. I bought it to check on Ziggy while I am out of town (as my sitter only stops by in the AM) and have loved checking in on him while i'm at work.

Yes! The Wyze cams are awesome - I have the non-pan ones, which cost less and are smaller, so I have one on each end of Norbert's viv. I do have the pan ones in my bird room. Love the Wyzelabs company!

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
HemiLeo":1a93vcpp said:
Maybe a GoPro for a camera?

My mom suggested that, but I don't think they can live stream to a phone?

Ziggy17":1a93vcpp said:

I saw the Wyze cams on Amazon when I was looking! If I can access the stream on my phone that's exactly what I was looking for.

JumpinJellyfish":1a93vcpp said:
Yes! The Wyze cams are awesome - I have the non-pan ones, which cost less and are smaller, so I have one on each end of Norbert's viv. I do have the pan ones in my bird room. Love the Wyzelabs company!

I'm assuming the videos of Norbert you have an instagram are all from the Wyzelabs camera? It seems pretty good then. I will look into ordering one :D

As for a Pancake update, he has been more energetic and willingly taking water for the past few days. He seems on and off with eating Repashy. BUT, for the past 2 doses of meds (which are also the last 2), he was being super difficult. :cry: He moved his head when I was trying to give him the second last dose, and he didn't get all of it. Then today for the final dose, he was bouncing around way too much for him to sit calmly and let me get the syringe into the good side of his mouth, so I tried to get the meds onto his tongue after he ate the hornworm but of course, there was an air bubble that I didn't notice and once again, he didn't get the full dose .-. I'm really hoping the abscess went down. The vet is back on Monday and then he will be going in for an appointment sometime this week so we will see what happens.

Still no black beards or trouble chewing worms. He has been moving around a lot more in his terrarium recently too.

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
Yes and yes - the clips you see on my Insta are all from the wyze cams mounted on his tank. The app actually only works with phones so far, not computer, but you can stream to your phone and check on him in realtime at any time, and you can get alerts with clips based on the settings you choose, and you can record 24/7 to a micro SD card in the camera (you have to order, it doesn't come with, but it's only $10), and that will roll - it hold about a week of recorded video at standard def, and I think about 3 days at high def. You can playback from that if you need to see something that didn't alert. The 12-second clips will be recorded 5 minutes apart (longer if there's no sound or movement detected). The cams also have special alerts for smoke and CO alarms. (I keep that off, though, because one of my birds makes the sounds - lol). :0)

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
JumpinJellyfish":2jjj77t3 said:
Yes and yes - the clips you see on my Insta are all from the wyze cams mounted on his tank. The app actually only works with phones so far, not computer, but you can stream to your phone and check on him in realtime at any time, and you can get alerts with clips based on the settings you choose, and you can record 24/7 to a micro SD card in the camera (you have to order, it doesn't come with, but it's only $10), and that will roll - it hold about a week of recorded video at standard def, and I think about 3 days at high def. You can playback from that if you need to see something that didn't alert. The 12-second clips will be recorded 5 minutes apart (longer if there's no sound or movement detected). The cams also have special alerts for smoke and CO alarms. (I keep that off, though, because one of my birds makes the sounds - lol). :0)

Thanks JumpinJellyfish, your birds are too cute lol.

I looked more into the Wyze Cam, and the ones on Amazon kept saying it was the US version, the android app also didn't have good reviews so I got a dlink camera from BestBuy to test out just in case the Wyze Cam didn't work in Canada or something odd like that.

I also called the vet since he's back today, his son answered the phone and said they'd call back to see if I could get Pancake in on Wednesday. No call back :| I'm going to call again tomorrow morning and hopefully the vet answers this time.

Pancake hasn't been as energetic today, he looks a little sad. I'll have to try to syringe feed him somehow because he didn't take any of the repashy or butterworms from his bowl. I really hope he recovers from all of this. At least his jaw hasn't gotten worse; the bone actually looks like it isn't sticking up as high at the front? I'm trying to get a picture to post and to show Tracie, but he doesn't open his mouth too often so it's a bit tricky.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Try not to fret too much. It's been amazing he's been acting as good as he has. I'd be expecting him to act a bit lethargic and sad.

That's good about the jaw. Still my heart hurts for pan :(

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? Poor guy, I sure feel bad for him, he has had some horrible luck
lately. Were you able to get any type of food or nutrition into him today?
I hope you can get some type of camera to work. Why can't everything just be compatible....
& just work? LOL

Tracie

Blackenedsabbath

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
When I got home from class yesterday I let Pancake out of his terrarium, he ran around normally so I guess he was just bored and lonely. He was distracted enough with exploring that I managed to sneak 5mL of critical care into his mouth without too much protest (of course, he caught on and that technique didn't work this morning, I'll have to try again when I'm back from class). I have more silkworms and hornworms arriving from the Worm Lady tomorrow, so that will make feeding easier again.

Pan is going in to the vet tomorrow morning to get the abscess rechecked, and then I suppose we will see what's going to happen with the fracture from there. The vet keeps telling me he isn't going to make it :cry: But based on the fact that he is still running around and just looks like he has a lot of life left in his eyes I'm going to keep hoping he will hang in there.

The dlink camera seems to be working well so far!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not too fond of this vet if I'm honest with you... this is still the original one correct?

It sounds like hes wanting you to give up because he doesnt think he can fix the jaw. I dont remember if you ever reached out to the other vet?

Pan is doing amazingly well for what hes gone through. Dont let the vet put doubts in your head. I'd be very iffy about letting him look down pans throat again...
But that's just me being over protective.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom