This is just sad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caldera328

Hello all...I'm new and just looking for a place to share or get advice.

I have a neighbor who has a beardie. It looks closer to adult than baby size, but that's all I know for sure. These people are just awful. My daughter sometimes plays with their little girl, but I don't know them well enough to get involved. The parents just don't care. The dad's abrasive and mean. Worst part is their son. I know he must be this way because of his awful home life, but he's awful. I've been to their house a couple of times with my daughter because I refuse to let her go over there alone (and the little girl has no other friends.) This kid has a beardie, and I was shocked by what I saw. He keeps it in a dirty tank with a red bulb, but that's the best part of this poor thing's life. I've seen him toss it around like a ball or a toy. He carries it by the tail. I walked by once and he had it tied outside to his porch railing and it was freaking out. I tried to approach but he came back out and when I asked what he was doing he cursed at me. The sister says he lays it on its back and laughs while it struggles. She said he gets angry and throws it into the tank and once taped it to the wall. I asked the mom once and she just said she "hates that thing." This animal is suffering. Those kids have an awful home. I just feel powerless to help...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Its called animal cruelty and I would be turning them in--- others on here would probably disagree w/ me but the animal needs to be taken away from them and they have no business owning a animal - its Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No I agree it shouldn't be in that environment.
But you'll have to be smart about it to rescue him.

Maybe next time the conversation comes up and the mom says she hates it, tell them youd love to take him in. Make up a story perhaps about how your daughter really wants one and that her daughter or son can come over still and see him. That way it seems like it's their pet but you take care of it. Of course once hes in your possession you dont have to let them see the dragon.

But this might be a way of getting your hands on him.

I doubt a humane society would do anything about it.

-Brandon

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
This always breaks my heart when I hear things like this. I would engage the mom and just lay it out for her. Start out nice. Say that you would love to take the beardie in and since her son hates it... etc. If that approach doesn't work, lead into the fact that you've seen things with its care that upset you and really think it'd be best for the animal to have another home. If the mom has any heart, that could possibly work. If that fails, you could appeal to a baser instinct. Offer to pay her (or maybe go directly to the kid). If you can appeal to some trait of his (good or bad), you could get the beardie out of there. Bribe him with money, a video game, something? If all else fails, I would get on the phone to the local animal welfare folks. That's all you can do, sadly.

Caldera328

Original Poster
I wonder if an animal rescue could do anything? I know if my vet has animals that come in that are being abused or neglected, she does a forced surrender by presenting the person with a very large vet bill for the animal's rehabilitation and gives them the choice of surrendering or paying the bill. I doubt these people would go to a vet, though. I might just try offering money. They seem motivated by money. They have a dog, but it appears to be cared for by the dad.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Caldera328":1ohqch07 said:
I might just try offering money.

Honestly, I think that's probably your best bet here. It may take a little human psychology to figure out the best button(s) to push & with whom, and you may only get 1 chance with this route. The mom might be the best shot since she hates it & would probably be glad to get it out of the house. If it fails, I'd call animal welfare. It sounds like child protective services could use a call too, but that's a whole other matter. Wishing you the best of luck with this mess. Please let us know if you do manage to rescue the little guy.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
IMO, to paraphrase The Riddler (Batman Forever), "If ya [pay 'im off], he won't learn nuthin.'"

I agree--animal neglect/abuse is a criminal offense. Where I live, the humane society does do something, and works closely with area veterinarians and county sheriff's depts. They may not be as responsive in other locations, but I wouldn't not report it because they might not do anything.

The problem is, you could be earning an enemy for life, and a sticky neighbor situation.

Is anyone else aware of the situation that--if reported--wouldn't necessarily come back on you?
A personal chat with your local humane society or animal control officer (without necessarily revealing your identity) might present other options.

One thing I've learned in my time on this rock; I've got to be able to sleep at night, and look myself in the mirror, but not necessarily at the expense of putting my self/family in harm's way.

YMMV.

Best Wishes.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Yeah, these are the tough ones. The rogue/compassionate part of me says just abscond with the poor thing on a play date to save its life, but in the real world that isn't going to fly, and sadly the OP may end up continuing to suffer along with the beardie for lack of a good way to rescue it. That's why I offered my suggestion of "progressions" to try to work things out within the framework of the law and civil society. Unfortunately, like we see in child welfare cases especially, the system sometimes doesn't work and bad things happen to the good & innocent. This could be that, though I'm praying it turns out otherwise for all involved.

HemiLeo

Caldera328":12nt7b80 said:
Hello all...I'm new and just looking for a place to share or get advice.

I have a neighbor who has a beardie. It looks closer to adult than baby size, but that's all I know for sure. These people are just awful. My daughter sometimes plays with their little girl, but I don't know them well enough to get involved. The parents just don't care. The dad's abrasive and mean. Worst part is their son. I know he must be this way because of his awful home life, but he's awful. I've been to their house a couple of times with my daughter because I refuse to let her go over there alone (and the little girl has no other friends.) This kid has a beardie, and I was shocked by what I saw. He keeps it in a dirty tank with a red bulb, but that's the best part of this poor thing's life. I've seen him toss it around like a ball or a toy. He carries it by the tail. I walked by once and he had it tied outside to his porch railing and it was freaking out. I tried to approach but he came back out and when I asked what he was doing he cursed at me. The sister says he lays it on its back and laughs while it struggles. She said he gets angry and throws it into the tank and once taped it to the wall. I asked the mom once and she just said she "hates that thing." This animal is suffering. Those kids have an awful home. I just feel powerless to help...

I would ask if you could buy it for your little girl if it comes up some time in a conversation and I would try to just let it be the wife there. And that is flat out animal abuse :puke: :puke:

Caldera328

Original Poster
Hey guys...
I have avoided posting this...but it really bothers me and no one else really understands. A few weeks ago I made a deal with the kids mom to buy the dragon. She hates it and wanted $50. Well, she unfortunately told the kid she was selling his pet and he got mad. I walked over there to pay jhis mom and he had the dragon outside. I was a few yards away. This kid looks me in the eyes, picks up this animal and throws it down on the concrete as hard as he could. I was shocked. I ran over and the kid ran into the house. I picked up the animal and realized he must have thrown it down several times. It was bleeding from its nose, mouth open, limp. I kknjust took it home. I put it on a towel and started to make a temporary home. Unfortunately, it was dead in a couple hours. It threw its head back and acted like it was gagging a couple times, then it panicked and tried to run but it couldn’t even stand up. It just paid down and died. I was so angry and the mom didn’t care. She was like, “Just throw it out. I hate it.”

Worst part...a few days ago I saw the kid playing with a toy...it’s a baby dragon. I asked the mom and she said the dad keeps buying them. I called animal control and they can’t do anything.l

Terry15

Sub-Adult Member
So sad. I would not socialize with these people at all & would not let my daughter any where near them. It’s almost scary to think of what the parents are doing to their own kids. Please be careful.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That is absolutely horrible. I hate reading something like that.

In an unemotional way of looking at it, I'd probably make a police report based solely on how this all went down. You paid 50 dollars for something, and as it was being given to you it was rendered useless and unusable. File the report as a claim to get your money back, but mainly as a way to get a magnifying glass over this family. And hopefully convince them that a pet isnt a good idea for their child.

Maybe you can reach out to an animal shelter. They might have some more means or connections for dealing with these things.

Have you talked at all to the parents. I completely dont blame you if you haven't, as I'm sure it's extremely frustrating and infuriating.

So is this a new baby beardie he has or just a toy?

Absolutely one of the worst stories I've seen here.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I first read this post this morning I was so angry I couldnt even post as to what was coming out of my mouth--- I know who ever reads this its gonna piss alot of people off ------
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
claudiusx":3avbwshi said:
Hi there,

That is absolutely horrible. I hate reading something like that.

In an unemotional way of looking at it, I'd probably make a police report based solely on how this all went down. You paid 50 dollars for something, and as it was being given to you it was rendered useless and unusable. File the report as a claim to get your money back, but mainly as a way to get a magnifying glass over this family. And hopefully convince them that a pet isnt a good idea for their child.

Maybe you can reach out to an animal shelter. They might have some more means or connections for dealing with these things.

Have you talked at all to the parents. I completely dont blame you if you haven't, as I'm sure it's extremely frustrating and infuriating.

So is this a new baby beardie he has or just a toy?

Absolutely one of the worst stories I've seen here.

-Brandon
I agree with Brandon what their doing is so inhumane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom