MBD beardie diagnosed with a heart murmur. What do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itio

I took Stubbs, my four year old rescue with MBD, to the vet a couple weeks ago because he was black bearding, acting a little weird. I assumed a URI.
When the vet listened to his lungs, he found something he had never heard before in a bearded dragon; a 'significant heart murmur.' His lungs were clear, but his breathing was abnormal and forced.
He was put on clindamycin for two weeks and I was told to call back a few days after the meds end (so monday) to tell the vet how Stubbs his doing. If his breathing doesn't get better on the meds, he is to start heart medication to see if we can get him acting a bit more like a normal beardie.

His breathing has always been sort of forced and labored. He doesnt really breathe like any other beardie I have seen before. He is also over a year in recovery from his MBD and he still isn't any more active than he was when I first saw him. So, I am thinking of starting him on heart medication. I am also on heart meds and I know first hand how much the side effects suck.

Have any of you had a beardie on heart medication? Or with a heart murmur? I'm just really worried of doing something to him that will make him worse....

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I haven't heard of this with a dragon. I wish I could be of more help. Did the vet discuss possible side effects of the meds with you?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I have heard of a few bearded dragons who have had heart murmors & or heart issues. There
have been some who have been placed on heart medication, with success.
Did the vet do an ultrasound or just listen to his breathing & heart?
Can you review his setup a little bit?
If he has come from inbred stock, these types of health problems or genetic problems unfortunately.
Has his weight been pretty stable?
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Itio

Original Poster
When I took him to the vet, he listened to his breathing and his heart. He said that xrays and ultrasounds wont do a whole heck of a lot on a beardie because of where their heart is and the proximity to other organs.

I know where the previous people got him from and, yes, he is most likely inbred as the shop breeds a lot of their own animals (and hasnt been the best for animal care in general).

We went over his set up, diet, husbandry, etc, and Vet said everything sounded perfect. The vet doesn't know the cause of the murmur, if its genetic or if it is from his MBD, and we didn't talk a lot about specific medications and side effects because we were hopeful the antibiotics would clear up the newer symptoms and help him over all. But... his breathing hasnt gotten any better (it has never been what I would call normal) so... we are going to give hesrt meds a shot to see if we can get his heart and lungs working better.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
Did the vet discuss changing up his diet any at all, or not? You could try giving some
L-carnitine which helps with blood pressure & vessels. Are you giving him a B vitamin
complex or maybe bee pollen?
Be sure to keep him eating greens & veggies that are heart healthy, like the collards &
mustard greens, at least a few days per week for him.

Please keep us posted on him!
Tracie

Itio

Original Poster
I went to call my vet this morning to talk about getting him on medication and my vet had to go on a business trip and is going to be gone for a week. So, no meds for him yet.

Stubbs' favorite salad is collard and mustard greens with yellow squash, so we are good on the heart healthy diet. His salads are dusted with beardie buffet, Calcium Plus, and Reptaboost. I talked to my vet about the supplements and his overall diet and he said that it sounded fine and to keep up with it.

He's never had bee pollen before and I'm not sure where to find it, but I've heard that beardies in general love it.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Posting to wish you good luck with his treatment. I will definitely be following along. Will be a learning experience for me too.

You might want to be a bit conservative on all the supplementation.
How do his urates look? Nice and white, or an off-white color to them?

It's great that he loves collards and mustards and squash. That's always been all of my dragons favorite staples too.

-Brando

Itio

Original Poster
My vet has returned from the convention he went to and lucky us, he found another vet that has dealt with murmurs in beardies.

He starts today on Folurosemide and Pimobendan with hopes that his breathing will get more even and more effective, and he will get more active.

Here is to hoping!!

Itio

Original Poster
Its been almost two weeks since I started him on his meds. We increased the dose yesterday in hopes of seeing more improvement. He is starting to walk a little more confidently and for longer periods of time and we're both very happy with the results so far. He takes his meds pretty easily also, which I am thankful for. Always syringe train your dragons, you never know what you'll have to medicate them with LOL

More updates when I see more with him!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Well that's good news that progress is being made! Thanks for giving us an update.
Hopefully you and your vet can work out the proper dose to get him back on track to being normal :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is really good news! It sounds like he is improving on the medications right now.
Is he eating pretty well?
At least he is moving around better & roaming around for longer periods of time now,
too! Definitely keep us posted on his progress.

Tracie

Itio

Original Poster
I have seen even more improvement since increasing his dose on friday. I had him at work with me at work most of the day saturday for an event and he was always so alert and even walking almost like a normal beardie!!!
This morning after drugging him, I placed him back in his home and he didn't melt into a pancake. My vet and I am amazed with the results. My vet said to keep a low protein diet because of the medications' ability to cause kidney damage over time and Stubbs certainly doesn't mind it. He loves his salads.

He also gets to meet some famous herp vets in december when they are near where I live because my vet wants them to meet Stubbs. He's becoming famous ?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great news!
I'm glad things are improving and that you're getting a little celebrity on your hands :D

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom