Darwin

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Stink eyes are the worst. It's like, "Hey! What did I do to deserve such a look?!" Haha I don't think they know that we have feelings and they hurt them with the stink eyes :lol: :lol: :lol: So the big guys is getting ready to go into full brumation it seems? I'm sure you will miss him dearly then :( Hope he's still active for you a bit longer though!

Vanessa

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Yeah he is getting ready for brumation for sure. It's right on pattern for him. He tried earlier this year but I kept interacting with him to hold off a bit. Now I'll just let him do his thing. He should be back up around Christmas and be hyper again by January if it's like past years.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Well then, I feel like if he wakes up around Christmas/New Year's then it's a wonderful present for you! Haha :blob8: :blob5: :lol: :lol:

I'm wondering if I should just turn the lights off for my little girl (she's been hiding more and more and will sleep allll day if I let her) and just let her sleep in hopes she wakes up around Christmas time. Last year was my first year with her, so when she started slowing down in September, I thought something was wrong with her, until I realized it was brumation, then I finally let her sleep for a month. I think I tortured the poor thing. Lol

Vanessa

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
I just leave the lights on their normal cycle and he sleeps through them in his hide. I figure it's more natural for the "sunlight" to stay on a relatively consistent schedule than for it to be dark all the time. I'm not sure if that has much effect either way though. Leaving the lights on doesn't seem to pose a problem.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Ahh I see. Last year I turned her lights off and had the CHE on to keep her warm. I've noticed that she tends to wake up when the lights on and I'm not sure if it's the lights or the commotion in the house with the dogs. Do you leave all lights on or just the basking and not the UVB? I was thinking of maybe leaving her basking on this year and see how she likes it. Last year I had a blanket over her while she slept on her hammock. She looked so damn peaceful. I was jealous. Haha

How old is Darwin, btw? And how long have you had him? Sorry, I can't recall if they were mentioned in the waaaay earlier postings and I think they were before my time on here. Haha

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Try out a few different things and see what works best. I can't say that one option is best for all dragons. I leave the UVB and basking light and CHE on. The basking light and CHE are on a programmable thermostat so they just kick on as programmed and react to temps in the enclosure. The UVB light kicks on and off with a mechanical outlet timer. If commotion is bothersome, it may help to put down something to burrow in. I have a bunch of the little fleece blankets from PamperedBeardies (Sarah's Dragon Rescue) and they are great for piling on the floor of the tank. Darwin will bury his face or sometimes completely burrow into them. Darwin is 4. I got him in Jan 2016 and was told that he was about a year old then. The first page of the thread has some photos of him the day I picked him up.

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
That's awesome that you have a programmable thermostat! I like the idea of the fleece blankets too. She's has a couple that were made for her and she loves them. Haha I will definitely try that! And now I wanna she pictures of Darwin all buried in blankets...I'm sure he looks darling. :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
After a VERY long trip I finally made it to Darwin’s namesake city! This place is really far away. Nice town with a hot Miami-like climate. Was walking around and saw this little guy hanging out on a footpath near the waterfront.
76248-6890695412.jpg
note the stinkeye for the disruption. He was basking in full shade at 1.0 UVI. As of 1pm the UVI is at 10.3. I will continue to take more measurements even though this is outside of central dragon territory. Data is still useful.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom