can someone help me identify it and find a treatment for it
thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That definitely looks odd!
How long has he had that?

It kind of looks like melted plastic dripped on him. Is that a possibility?
Or could he have burned himself?

Can you post a picture of his tank so we can see it?

-Brandon

PinkLion

Original Poster
It has been like that for a few months
Has'nt really changed in size
I will send pics in a few hours or so
He had shed and the mark hadnt changed
If it is a burn mark
What can i do?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The pictures aren't showing up. If you right click on the picture and click copy image address, and then paste that here inbetween the brackets, it should work.

If not, you can upload them here, and paste the XIMG code you're given.

[url=https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/]https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/[/url]

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, the pictures help a lot.

There are a couple major husbandry issues you have that need to be addressed.

Firstly, the lights are much too close. Or at least they look too close in the pictures. The coil bulb next to the red bulb, how far away from his head is that bulb in the picture? it looks to be only 1 or 2 inches.

Secondly, you shouldn't really be using that red bulb.

I will give you a quick rundown on a proper lighting setup so you can get a better understanding of what is needed, and from there, you can do a bit more research or ask specific questions if you need to.

You really only need 2 bulbs. A bulb that produces UVB, and a heat bulb.

The heat bulb really only has to fit 2 criteria. It produces the temperatures you need, and it gives off a bright non-colored light. A normal household bulb will work for this as long as it gives you the temperatures you need.

For UVB you want a good quality tube bulb that spans 1/2 - 3/4 of the tanks length. The reptisun 10.0 tube, and the arcadia tubes are great bulbs, and what we'd recommend.

You need no additional heat at night unless you house drops below 60 degrees at night. If it does, you want a ceramic heat emitter as these produces heat but no light. Dragons need darkness at night to sleep properly.

I will wait to comment more on your setup until you can clarify the distances of the bulbs you have right now. But I have a theory as to what could have potentially caused this.
I assume the coil bulb is your uvb bulb right? How old is it? Do you remember the type and brand it is?

We are here to help. I know this can all be a little overwhelming at times, but we all here will try our best to get your buddy back on the right track :)

-Brandon

PinkLion

Original Poster
the coil bulb is new
I fixed the distance issue
should I remove the red bulb?
full

this is the light bulb
do you know yet what is the mark on my beardie?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The mark looks to me like a burn. Has he been in contact with the lights or close to the lights?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, that does look like a burn but not a shed.
How is he doing, any updates for us?

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I agree w/ everyone on here -- it looks like a burn --- Please get rid of the coil UVB and get this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 12-15 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 6-8 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
You need to replace the red bulb w/ a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-105 for a adult dragon---- the red bulb is hurting his eyes and can cause long term eye damage---
Please if you need more help please ask--- temps need to be taking w/ a infrared heat gun or a digital probe ---- they are the most accurate way of getting them
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom