Bearded Dragon having bowel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghacket

Sorry in advance for gross picture. My bearded dragon Bert has been pooping super infrequently since we got him. We've had him for about 2 months and hes only gone maybe 4 times that I have seen, twice in the bath tub, once on the carpet, and once while at the park. I try to bathe him at least once a week and mist him once or twice daily to try to keep his hydration up. He was actually pooping about every week when we first got him and then he stopped for the past month. Tonight he finally went, and he of course had a lot come out, in the bath tub. For one, I'm confused on what I could do to try to make him go more. And secondly, his poop looked like it had two worms in it at first, so I tried to take a picture of one of them. I have no idea what this is and can't find anything about it elsewhere. Please help

Here are the pictures, both of the "worms" that came out looked very similar. I posted both link types in case it didn't work:
106128-5462664398.jpg
full

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hes not getting his food digested which would be lighting issues --- please post pic of your tank and lighting ---- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box-- please give us a run down of basking temps and how your taking them--- the UVB brand and bulb a pic would really help -- the lighting in the tank is key to over all health of the dragon along w/ temps-- also diet what are you feeding Bert
Karrie

ghacket

Original Poster
I apologised but cannot post pictures of tank right now but I can give some information on the lighting and eating. He was roughly 6 months old at first, and is roughly 8 now. When we first got him he had about a 60 gallon tank with two of the mercury vapor type fixtures, one heat and one uv light. We then got him a super large tank, something like 150 gal (it's like 6ft by 2ft by 3ft roughly, maybe the width and height are a little bigger). Hes had the large tank about half the time we had him and we have kept his basking area right under 100F and I would try to point the UVB at him when we left because he wouldnt move much in the tank. I can't give info on the bulbs because we bought everything from people online and met them to get him. We have a heat bulb and night bulb that are currently unopened from the store. There is also a long floruesent fixture that we recently got from a friend that had no bulb until we bought one a few days ago. However girlfriend says that the florescent tube light was too dark and so doesnt want to use, which I disagree with (hopefully someone can end this argument). His eating habits were pretty bad when we first got him. He would eat maybe every 5 days, eating collard greens or blueberries mostly for his herbivore diet and freeze dried crickets for the carnivore. We also gave him some mushroom bits and tomatoes once or twice. We would alternate giving him vegetables and crickets every time we tried to feed him. We would give him calcium every two meals, then multivitamins the next. So 1 calcium veggies, then 1 calcium meat, then multis. Now we use crickets once maybe every few days, and slowly have been using more herbivore foods. He gets a lot of collared greens and some kind of vegetable mix, while sometimes getting berries. Being perfectly honest though we havent used multivitamins that much and might not use as much calcium as we used to. He has been eating a lot more also, the longer we've had him. He eats probably twice as much as he did. We just got a Russian turtle yesterday of the opposite gender, but I dont think it has affected him much because we havent let them interact much yet. They currently live in the large tank together and are separated by cardboard. Bert usually stayed to one half of the tank so we let him keep that half. I will try to post pictures of everything in the morning and anything else anyone needs to help I will try to add. This is our first so we have tried researching as much as possible but will probably have made some mistakes. Thanks for any help again

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The 150 gallon tank sounds good -- please keep the turtle and dragon apart-- you have two reptiles w/ different husbandry --here is some info on the correct UVB -- this is what is recommended on the forum
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- do you plan to leave Bert in 1/2 of the tank ? That would be a 75 gallon-- if you replace the UVB please do not go the full length of the tank -- only 2/3 of tank is recommended - he needs to be able to get out of the UVB if he wants -- I would be getting rid of whatever bulbs you bought on line used you dont know how old they are ---- he needs calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week - I would feed him live bugs like crickets or dubia roaches I recommend dubias - fresh greens need to be fed every day here is website for nutrition -http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
how are you taking temps in the tank w/ stick ons digital probe ?
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom