Worm Staples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find a better worm staple for my big dragon.
Length(From head to tip of tail): 19 1/2inches
Length of head in general: 2-3inches
Weight: I believe 395-400grams
Lights:Are fine hottest side is 100-90 and coolest is 79-85
Veggies:Collard Greens or Mustard Greens. Depends on how he wants his week to go :shock: .
Bug now: Pheonix Worms

My only concern is he is not chewing the bugs he is eating them whole and pooping them out still alive. I just changed his heat bulb because that was obviously bad but I don't want him on these pheonix worms anymore. I want him to chew his food. I can not do roaches or crickets because my apartment complex office is very strict on having those in my home :roll: . I also refuse to get rid of my baby, that is never going to happen. I am wondering what other worms i can give him as a staple that he will have to chew, vs just slurping them up like water. He also prefers his salads over anything and gets mad when it is not to his standards. He is also extremely active, and not acting like anything is wrong with him. He still loves to torment my maine coone and play with his tennis ball.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Lights:Are fine hottest side is 100-90 and coolest is 79-85-----------what is the UVB you have brand and bulb??? in tank or on screen?---- I dont understand why he would not be chewing them up ----------- how long before poops? the digestion process also has to do w/ correct basking temps and VERY important UVB------------ how are you taking basking temps ? infrared heat gun ? digital probe? or stick ons?
Karrie

Hammie2496

Original Poster
His tank is a 2ft x 4 ft. The setup was approved by our Serpentarium out by us. On the left is an exo terra 150 watt bulb for his hot side and on the right in the middle is the long 48inch t5 uvb light reflector with an 14% arcadia bulb. That bulb is due for a new change as well in a month in half. If i need to i can change it now. Im using a digital probe and last month my friend brought in his infrared gun to make sure his bulbs were good. He is not chewing his bugs because the bug is so small he is just kind of swallowing them whole or eating some and not all.

Forgot to add the bulbs are 12inches from his area

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well I am not sure what kind of staple feeder to feed him w/ your apt out lawing crickets and dubias and w/ him swallowing the phoenix worms whole --- I guess you could feed him super worms not meal worms but supers those you can get bigger like medium size but I am skeptical on feeding those as a staple since hes only 9 months old - he still needs the protein-- I would see if some others on here can give you some ideas on what else to feed him--- his UVB is a good one - the 14% bulb is strong - does he bask like he should under it - I have mine an inch higher than yours --
Karrie

Hammie2496

Original Poster
i was worried that there might not be anything else, and yes he uses his basking light most of the day. He has a large rock that he loves to lay on under the basking light.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've had that issue with black soldier fly larvae. I wound up offering them (and other worms) one at a time. That is a bit more time consuming but it helps pace them so they'll chew each worm a bit more.

Hammie2496

Original Poster
I will try that because he can eat almost 4 at a time, but maybe forcing him to slow down will help. Thank you both, for taking the time to help.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
CooperDragon":3rmgjn62 said:
I've had that issue with black soldier fly larvae. I wound up offering them (and other worms) one at a time. That is a bit more time consuming but it helps pace them so they'll chew each worm a bit more.

I second that.
Try hand feeding the BSFL to the dragon one at a time , this ensure they are crunched and chewed some before disappearing.

Try silkworms , very soft and irresistible to most bearded dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom