Found blood on paper towel substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

npfd532

Good afternoon,

A week ago, my beardie has some wet running poop (and EXTREMELY smelly), I said lets give him a week and see if it changes. He didn't poop for a whole week, but now it seems back to how he normally poops, except the smell is pretty bad again. Of course the first think I think of, is parasites. But then my wife sends me a picture and there appears to be a few blood spots on the paper towel substrate. I am a bit worried and wondering if anyone has any advice. I know its not super abnormal, especially with the weather changing here in new york, for the Beardie not to poop for a week, but the blood is making me nervous. Any help would be greatly appreciate (Picture Attached, He just ate some greens so don't mind the greens thrown around the tank, he gets very excited LOL). THANKS IN ADVANCE !

103950-1176188291.jpg

Background:
Almost 10 months old, I have had him since the pet store at 2-3 months. 16-18 inches long.
Exo Terra Large Tall tank
MVB bulb - less than 2 months old, on top of tank, but the basking area is around 100-102 measured with temperature gun
Cool side is in the 80's
Always has Collared and yellow squash, Gets dandellion and fruits and other veggies as special snacks
Small mealies at 11:30 am every day (I know not the best, but the reptile store said he seemed to really like them, so just make sure its not his only meal)
large crickets 10-12 6:30pm every day (gutloaded with orange cube)
Bath every 2 weeks or so,
Tank cleaned once per week.
He has a large drift wood and a plant that my wife removed to take the picture, so his home has plenty of things for him to do, or to cut himself on (I hope that's the case and nothing serious).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Save up the poo for a few days or week or longer , let it fester and putrify and I guarantee when it's finally deposited it's going to be really stinky.

As to blood - are you sure it's blood ?

npfd532

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":r7uqy76r said:
Save up the poo for a few days or week or longer , let it fester and putrify and I guarantee when it's finally deposited it's going to be really stinky.

Thanks kingofnobbys:

We just figured out the blood, It looks like he lost a nail, not a toe, just the nail, at some point overnight or this morning, and thats what the blood came from.

As far as the poo goes, your saying the terrible smell, consistency of the poo, and the time between defecations is not abnormal ? Just want to be sure he's healthy, he seems very healthy, likes to be pet and taken out, runs all over the tank still chases crickets etc.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
npfd532":2uv9nvx1 said:
kingofnobbys":2uv9nvx1 said:

Thanks kingofnobbys:

We just figured out the blood, It looks like he lost a nail, not a toe, just the nail, at some point overnight or this morning, and thats what the blood came from.

<<<< You don't happen to have a mesh hammock in the tank somewhere ?

As far as the poo goes, your saying the terrible smell, consistency of the poo, and the time between defecations is not abnormal ? Just want to be sure he's healthy, he seems very healthy, likes to be pet and taken out, runs all over the tank still chases crickets etc.

Well "stinkyness" is a subjective thing , some people are more "sensitive" and have more easily "offended" noses.
If worried , collect a sample of a fresh poo in a sample bottle and get a local vet to check it for parasites , there will be some , but if the count is high enough to be an issue the vet will prescribe meds suitable to treat for these and you'll have to become very fastidious about sterilizing everything the dragon has contact with ( everytime he poos until the vet say's the infestation is "cured").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom