Why is my bearded dragons leg(s) swollen?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Re: Why is my bearded dragons leg(s) swollen?

Postby Kiley » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:48 pm

I will definitely make arrangements to get the light inside. She has not been limping but even before her legs swelled, she would have a twitchy back leg(s). I first noticed it about a 10 months to a year ago. During the summer I also had 3-4 weeks total vacation which she was not fed calcium because she was being babysat. Other than that she has received calcium. Her name is Kaiju btw. Thanks:)
Kiley
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:07 pm

If you do that and get her onto better feeders ie silkworms or BSFL , these are both naturally very rich in nutrients including having a near perfect Ca:P ratio.

I am not convinced the issue is low calcium (Ca) , I suspect something else is going on with her metabolism / health ==> swollen legs.

If you tell us what state you are in ( and perhaps your town ) , there are lists of RECOMMENDED / EXPERIENCED REPTILE VETS available and we very likely be able to point you at a vet who actually knows his stuff and can do a proper diagnosis of your dragon's health so you can develop a treatment plan to cure her.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy rescued injured by lawnwacker14Nov17, Gutzy 27Sep19.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - injured rescued, boss lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby AHBD » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Swollen legs and leg twitches are both signs of calcium deficiency so I do think the vet was right about that. Here is a little more about it, a short article written by a vet.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... ed-dragons
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby Kiley » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:36 pm

Update: bad news, her legs are even more swollen and the swelling is slowly spreading to her other legs. I can’t even bend her back leg all the way out like her other back leg. I have been giving her 10 mealworms with calcium (no d3) and 10 with calcium with d3 every other day, and on the other days I give her 10 with d3 calcium and 10 with vitamin powder. This week I have offered her kale and the last couple of weeks I have offered her a mix of turnip, collard, and mustard greens. Obviously something is still wrong. Another thing to add, she is not very active.
[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]
Kiley
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:48 pm

So since no blood work was done they did not test for gout-- I am wondering if its not gout- if it is gout then she could be put on Allopurinol--- but blood work would need to be done to establish that
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster

Postby Drache613 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:06 am

Hello,

He really does need a blood test done to try & diagnose what's going on. Gout has a certain
look to it & this looks more like gout than metabolic bone disease to me.
The swelling shouldn't be getting worse though but if it's gout, it wont get better unless you get
him started on gout medication.
Are you giving black or tart cherry extract right now?
How many insects do you give him, daily?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie
Drache613

Postby Kiley » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:59 am

Totally forgot to add this picture of her poop! I have noticed it has had the orange-ish end on the urate the past couple of weeks. I can stop at a store later and get some cherry extract but how much should I give her? Oh and I give her about 15-20 regular meal worms daily.
[Click image to enlarge]
Kiley
Hatchling Poster

Postby Drache613 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:57 pm

Hello,

How is your little one doing?
That stool looks normal to me. They can get discolored urates from time to time. It can be
caused by foods eaten, supplementation, etc.
Since she is doing pretty well right now, you can give .5ml daily or every other day of the
cherry extract.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Health