Why is my bearded dragons leg(s) swollen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiley

Original Poster
I will definitely make arrangements to get the light inside. She has not been limping but even before her legs swelled, she would have a twitchy back leg(s). I first noticed it about a 10 months to a year ago. During the summer I also had 3-4 weeks total vacation which she was not fed calcium because she was being babysat. Other than that she has received calcium. Her name is Kaiju btw. Thanks:)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you do that and get her onto better feeders ie silkworms or BSFL , these are both naturally very rich in nutrients including having a near perfect Ca:p ratio.

I am not convinced the issue is low calcium (Ca) , I suspect something else is going on with her metabolism / health ==> swollen legs.

If you tell us what state you are in ( and perhaps your town ) , there are lists of RECOMMENDED / EXPERIENCED REPTILE VETS available and we very likely be able to point you at a vet who actually knows his stuff and can do a proper diagnosis of your dragon's health so you can develop a treatment plan to cure her.

Kiley

Original Poster
Update: bad news, her legs are even more swollen and the swelling is slowly spreading to her other legs. I can’t even bend her back leg all the way out like her other back leg. I have been giving her 10 mealworms with calcium (no d3) and 10 with calcium with d3 every other day, and on the other days I give her 10 with d3 calcium and 10 with vitamin powder. This week I have offered her kale and the last couple of weeks I have offered her a mix of turnip, collard, and mustard greens. Obviously something is still wrong. Another thing to add, she is not very active.
95676-5223096660.jpg
95676-2862144928.jpg
95676-4305230039.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
So since no blood work was done they did not test for gout-- I am wondering if its not gout- if it is gout then she could be put on Allopurinol--- but blood work would need to be done to establish that
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

He really does need a blood test done to try & diagnose what's going on. Gout has a certain
look to it & this looks more like gout than metabolic bone disease to me.
The swelling shouldn't be getting worse though but if it's gout, it wont get better unless you get
him started on gout medication.
Are you giving black or tart cherry extract right now?
How many insects do you give him, daily?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Kiley

Original Poster
Totally forgot to add this picture of her poop! I have noticed it has had the orange-ish end on the urate the past couple of weeks. I can stop at a store later and get some cherry extract but how much should I give her? Oh and I give her about 15-20 regular meal worms daily.
95676-4533479395.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your little one doing?
That stool looks normal to me. They can get discolored urates from time to time. It can be
caused by foods eaten, supplementation, etc.
Since she is doing pretty well right now, you can give .5ml daily or every other day of the
cherry extract.
Keep us posted on her!

Tracie

Kiley

Original Poster
Update:
I took Kaiju to the vet about a week ago, and this vet definitely seemed more experienced. She gave credentials, and explained everything. She believes it’s a calcium deficiency too. She said that powder calcium might not be giving her enough calcium, and she also said she was dehydrated. I got some liquid calcium and the vet showed me how to use give it to Kaiju. She also said to bring her back for a check up in a month. I have been giving Kaiju a bath daily, and she has been taking calcium well. However, there has not been much change in swelling and other negative side effects, again, it’s only been a week.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hopefully the calcium starts to help.

You will want to make sure your UVB is sufficient though with all that calcium, otherwise it won't be getting utilized well.
Did you end up getting your UVB bulb mounted under the mesh? I couldn't recall if you had the t5 or the t8 version? That would determine what distance you want it at.

Hoping for good news soon! :D

-Brandon

Kiley

Original Poster
Update:

Kaiju continued to worsen, even with treatment. When I took her back to the vet l, the vet said it had turned into gout and treatment was daily needles, and even that might not work. The vet also said she was in pain, and I made the ultimate decision to end her suffering. She was way more swollen then the pictures I added awhile ago, her mobility was basically gone. RIP Kaiju:(.

Kiley

Original Poster
95676-6325032688.jpg
95676-5949364924.jpg
This was her during her last week. It was spreading to her less swollen legs, and it was gaining acceleration. I helped make sure the rest of her life was amazing. :’(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Im so sorry for your loss. I'm sure you made the right decision. Her leg looks awful :( poor thing. I know how hard it is.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry that you lost your girl, it is horrible to lose one. :cry: I know how difficult it is to
lose a beloved dragon.
I have to ask, was she given antibiotics? Just wondering because if so, that is what caused her
to decline so quickly. She had gout when you first posted was what I had thought. I'm sorry they
didn't treat for that, initially she may have made some recovery.

My condolences,
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom