My bearded dragon will not eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tweber56

My bearded dragon is 2 months old and it has been 3 days since he/she ate anything. On Friday I gave him/her some small mealworms and they got thrown up. So I waited to feed him/her until the next day and he/she wasn’t interested. So I took him/her out to soak in some Luke warm water so I could rehydrate him/her to see if he/she will eat after but nothing. This morning he/she ate 3 crickets and only ate a couple greens (turnip, mustard and collard greens) the past couple of days. His/her activity is normal, lays in the hammock basking and on the log I have that’s also apart of the basking spot. Also he/she runs around every once and awhile. I was just wondering if someone could help me out because I’m worried that since he/she threw up those meal worms that my bearded dragons sick. Thanks

Husbandry
20 gallon long
Paper towel as substrate
105 degree basking spot
Reptisun 10.0 24inch t8 bulb mounted inside the tank
100 watt basking bulb on top of the screen

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You got a good UVB but I think your over powering him w/ the UVB --- I have a 20 gallon long tank and used a T 8 but it was on top of tank and no screen - basking spot was around 6- 8 inches ---- what does he do when hes in that tank w/ the UVB does he sit under it or is he hiding ? Please NO more meal worms --- they are too hard on his stomach --- you can give 2-3 small super worms / day on top of his vegies in the morning --- FIRST--- then feed him his bugs around an hr or so later --- but you want him eating vegies now -- if you feed bugs first he will only eat bugs later when he needs his vegies so its best to train him now eating them--- is there other parts of basking spot where they are not 105 ? If he has a basking area w/ a gradient as to where he can pick to sit and bask would be good --- you will need to upgrade that tank soon he wont be in that 20 gallon long --- I just moved my baby out yesterday to a 120 gallon --- he is doing good - he is eating like a champ and basking -- didnt seem to phase him too bad---- relocation stress happens but hes doing good -- can you take the screen off the tank and leave it off ??? Meaning no cats or dogs can get to him --- here is a pic of the 20 gallon I was using
97951-9562450009.jpg
the light hanging was a heat emitter I was using for the first few days
Karrie

tweber56

Original Poster
He sits in front of it. It’s mounted on the back of the tank with Velcro facing the front of the tank. Also I cannot leave the lid off because I have a cat. Yes there is a basking gradient he has a log leaning on the hammock that he basks on and he can move up and down the log and onto the hammock as he pleases

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the distance for the UVB? If its too close its going to effect his behavior--- I am thinking the UVB takes the whole length of the tank ? Its too much UVB for such a small tank --- I just used a 18" and it was good --- the one you have now will be good for the next tank ---- just dont get a tank that the UVB runs the whole length of tank --- 2/3 of tank is what is recommended -- other wise you will have issues again --- he will be hiding from it --- so do what you can w/ the UVB and distance but you need to get it fixed soon other wise he will continue not to eat --- that UVB should not be closer than 6-8 inches and your not working w/ very much height--- I would move him to a room where you can close the door get the screen off and keep the cat out---- I have 5 cats and my tank had the lid off but I had the tank sitting to where the cats could not get to him---- but I have never had a issue w/ the cats getting on top of my tanks anyway so---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is too close --- put it on top of tank w/ screen off measure distance of where he sits for UVB --- if you haft to use different decor to get distance down --- you dont want him that close
Karrie

tweber56

Original Poster
Okay thank you appreciate your input. Also another thing do you suggest me upgrading to a 38x18x18 now or wait a little more longer till he gets a little bigger

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I would put him in it as soon as you can --- that is a 55 gallon? I just moved mine into a 120 gallon- your UVB will need to go into the tank approx 6-8 inches from his basking area -- I used the T 8 18" for my 55 gallon and it worked fine--- if you cant get the basking area and UVB on the same side of tank dont worry about it they will go between lights as to what they need -- hopefully your 55 gallon has front doors???? mine did and they are hard to find --- I managed to get it from Petsmart when they had them on sale for $150 but that was years ago --- here is a pic of my little dude now in his tank -- Blaze
97951-9384030201.jpg
97951-1333180797.jpg
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom