Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visserion

Original Poster
They never told which antibiotic he was on all I know was they were giving him injections under his armpits and would alternate every week it helped him a little bit but never got rid of the problem if he is ever stressed he starts to take very deep breaths if you have ever heard someone with a stuffy nose and it sounds like it’s a whistle it’s sort of like that but the vets checked his nose there was nothing lodged or stuck in there he also struggles to breath while pooping sometimes when I pick him up he will struggle to breathe I don’t know if that’s from putting pressure on his lungs from my hand

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No the ties wont have any effect UVB gives off no heat--- you need to put some sort of decor under the UVB so he can be at least 6-8 inches from basking if its a T 8--- I am assuming its a T 8-- as far as breathing did the vet listen to lungs to see if there was a RI going??? If so I would of thought the antibiotic would of cleared it up but if she gave the wrong antibiotic then it wouldnt have any effect on it-- I am not a vet Tracie would haft to weigh in on this - I would call the vet and ask what they were giving him and let Tracie know-- the next time hes at the vet get a copy of office visit so you know what was done and how much it cost---- a office visit summary --- I am surprised they didnt give you one --
Karrie

Visserion

Original Poster
106089-2387465588.jpg
I moved the hammock to be sort of under the uvb that was the best I could get it but they did listen to his lungs and said nothing seemed wrong but then he pooped at the vet and they heard the noise he was making and decided to give him antibiotics it was 150 or somewhere around there for a couple shots of antibiotics and the visit

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is good that you moved to where he can be now under the UVB but as far as those breathing issues Tracie will haft to weigh in on that ---- see if you can get the info about what antibiotic so she can better help you
Karrie

TipsyTraveler

Hatchling Member
Visserion, I think you might be misunderstanding something crucial if I'm reading correctly. The white/long-tube UVB bulb produces no heat, it provides radiation. The basking spot people are talking about is under the OTHER bulb, that one that produces the heat. (EDIT: he also need's to be within 6-8inches of the UVB tube bulb as well. Didn't make that clear.)

You need to give him something he can climb onto so he is 6-8 inches from that hot basking bulb (the hammock should work). He should be spending most of his time chilling on a hammock/rock/log 6-8inches under that hot bulb. Then, you need to measure the temperature there, with a $10 temperature gun from Walmart/HomeDepot/Lowes. The dial thermometers are highly inaccurate.
Bearded Dragons use high heat to digest food, they are from the austrailian outback. He is not getting hot enough, which is why he isn't digesting the worms properly.

He also probably isn't hydrated enough unless he's eating ALL those misted greens, but it sounds like he probably isn't eating them all because he isn't feeling too good. Until he is better, I recommend putting him in the bathtub or sink with a couple inches of LUKEWARM (not hot) water for 10-15min daily. At a minimum right now be doing that every other day. This will aid digestion. Just let him sit there in it. Remember more hydration does NOT equal more humidity, which I'll get to next:

Stop misting the greens. The humidity in that glass tank is probably way too high if you're misting inside the tank. Beardies need it very dry (30-40% humidity). Let him get all his water from the bathtub/sink, from the worm's guts, and the insides of his veggies, you really don't need to mist them. The humidity probably gave him an upper respiratory infection (URI) which is why the vet gave him antibiotics, think of it like beardie bronchitis. EDIT: I recommend removing the water dish as well, or getting a much smaller one. If that's a hygrometer (humidity dial) on the back, it looks to me in the picture that your humidity is above 60%, which is way too high. I can't see it clearly.

For the mealworms that are causing impaction, I understand meal worms are easier for you because you can't have roaches, crickets, etc. Superworms and phoenix worms are just as easy to have, just as clean and way more nutritious. Your beardie is old enough to eat them. They are pretty inexpensive too, and stupid easy to breed if you want to. There are numerous guides on this site as well as others online on breeding them. I bred them myself, and you don't really have to do much. Once it gets going, you also won't have to buy worms ever again. My main point is you should get off mealworms in any way possible, the chitin shell they have screws up your beardies stomach.

If you change the basking spot, the hydration, and the worms to a different worm how I've laid out here, I'm sure he'll make a full recovery. If he doesn't, it could be something more serious, but I think it's unlikely considering he saw a veterinarian and got antibiotics. Could also be that the veterinarian wasn't aware of the stuff that was wrong with his tank and food, or just didn't care.

Visserion

Original Poster
I’m aware the uvb provides radiation not heat I was just worried if the zip ties would be limiting the radiation that was being emitted from the uvb tube and the gauge on the back glass is a thermometer

TipsyTraveler

Hatchling Member
Visserion":21vsqjgt said:
I’m aware the uvb provides radiation not heat I was just worried if the zip ties would be limiting the radiation that was being emitted from the uvb tube and the gauge on the back glass is a thermometer

No, the zip ties won't hurt. I highly recommend you also address the other problems I mentioned (food type, humidity, basking temp, and hydration). The basking spot where he will be spending a lot if not most of his time needs to be closer to the bulb, and the temperature properly measured. Unless you have some massive halogen bulb on there, I doubt his basking spot temps are within the 100-105 range at that distance from the bulb. The dial will not be accurate, temperature guns are around $10.

Even if it's not a hygrometer, I think the humidity in there is probably sky high with the water bowl and misting. I still recommend you remove the bowl.

Visserion

Original Poster
Ok i will switch him to Phoenix worms or super worms and get the temp gun but how do you suggest getting him closer to the build just getting him a new log that sits higher or a rock that sits higher?

TipsyTraveler

Hatchling Member
Visserion":32mkh681 said:
Ok i will switch him to Phoenix worms or super worms and get the temp gun but how do you suggest getting him closer to the build just getting him a new log that sits higher or a rock that sits higher?

Yeah a log or rock will do or the hammock you aready have. You can get one from outside if you want, just make sure you know the type of wood and check if its toxic (I think only redwood and cedar are but I'm not sure, I'd google it). Also, wash the wood or rock with soap and water, then bake it in the oven for a while to make sure you kill anything that could be on it as well as remove potential pest/instecticides.

Don't forget lowering the humidity and giving frequent baths to help the likely partial-impaction move along in his digestive tract.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Before you do anything get a temp gun and or use a digital probe - let it sit there for 10 minutes to get a temp -- find out what that basking temp is ---- it should be 95-105 or so - I think your using a log / hide correct? digital probes are $5 from Petsmart-- temp guns are $10-12 from Home Depot or Lowes etc it does not haft to be an expensive one- humidity ranges can be as high as 60% or 65- no more than 70 % is what is recommended on the forum- your heat lamps on during the day should be dropping that humidity- they will go up at night so if you want remove the water dish at nite -- I do w/ mine - I would wash your vegies before serving they can get moisture from them that way as well --- the vegies will dry out as they sit in the tank because of the heat so I would put them on the cooler side of the tank and remove them at nite ----- the UVB is going to take care of the digestion process as well so w/ basking temps the way they should be and the UVB he should start digesting better -- as far as the breathing issues Tracie will haft to weigh in on that - humidity should be addressed so if you want PM her and ask or have her look at this post -- if you need to change the decor for basking I recommend this piece from Petsmart its $20 but will give different gradient temps to bask - https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/all-living-things-gnarled-wood-reptile-ornament-14947.html?cgid=500116
I have this in my two tanks my dragons love them
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing tonight?
Oh they didn't tell you which antibiotic it is? Does he have anymore shots they are going to
give him?
I hope you have been able to get the temperatures in his tank more regulated.
What has his appetite been like lately? We are all pulling for him, so keep us posted
on how he is doing.
Definitely be sure that the humidity levels are not too high for him, especially if he's having
some trouble breathing right now.
The zip ties are fine, they definitely wont affect the UVB output in the least. Let us know how
he likes his new lighting arrangement.

Tracie

Visserion

Original Poster
He has been off the shots for a month now he used to eat all of his greens and sit on his hammock but this week he has just been sitting under that small green plant in the picture above and hasn’t been moving at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom