Times of day of feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
So my baby or juvie bearded dragon is about 4 to 5 months old but I dont really know. He does not want to eat in the morning but he eats at lunchtime and dinner why is that. Also how can you tell the age of the beardie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can go by growth chart of ages -- try this one --
https://www.google.com/search?q=growth+and+age+chart+for+bearded+dragons&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS763US763&oq=growth+and+age+chart+for+beard&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33l3.12814j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8-- these are not exact but can give you an idea --- where did you get your dragon from? Also if he is eating in the evening make sure those lights are on for 2 hrs after his eaten -- they need time to start digesting food
they usually will bask and warm up before eating - so it could just be he needs to warm longer --- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? infrared heat gun- digital probe or stick ons?
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2zpcjl8b said:
You can go by growth chart of ages -- try this one --
https://www.google.com/search?q=growth+and+age+chart+for+bearded+dragons&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS763US763&oq=growth+and+age+chart+for+beard&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j33l3.12814j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8-- these are not exact but can give you an idea --- where did you get your dragon from? Also if he is eating in the evening make sure those lights are on for 2 hrs after his eaten -- they need time to start digesting food
they usually will bask and warm up before eating - so it could just be he needs to warm longer --- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? infrared heat gun- digital probe or stick ons?
Karrie
I knew about the needing to keep the heat lamp on for a period of time after feeding and the temperatures in the basking spot is 108 degrees Fahrenheit and I use a digital probe. He also eats alot of crickets at the time of the feeding about 6-7 crickets

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He should be eating as many as he can in 10-15 minutes-- 6-7 crickets is not very many for a baby-- how big are they ? They should not be any bigger than the size between his eyes--- he should be eating like 20 or so -- if he was eating dubias and that many I would not be concerned but crickets there is a issue - how have the poops been? Is he eating a lot of vegies before bugs? Is he loading up on worms before bugs?
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":31furdy1 said:
He should be eating as many as he can in 10-15 minutes-- 6-7 crickets is not very many for a baby-- how big are they ? They should not be any bigger than the size between his eyes--- he should be eating like 20 or so -- if he was eating dubias and that many I would not be concerned but crickets there is a issue - how have the poops been? Is he eating a lot of vegies before bugs? Is he loading up on worms before bugs?
Karrie
So he eats 6-7 and than loses interest but than some times when I let a cricket roam in his cage he chases after it and eats eat. I think the movement peaks his interest. I dont feed him worms and the crickets are just the size of the space between his eyes. I normally feed him veggies at lunch and no bugs. He is pooping every day and they're big. They look healthy.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is he eating the vegies at lunch? I start off w/ vegies w/ something like a small super worm on top or BSFL to get his attention to the bowl - when you feed the crickets first off its going to be harder to get him to eat vegies as an adult --- believe me I know first hand on this one--- the crickets are they not moving or how are you feeding them ? I fed Hiccup one at a time when he was little but not crickets I did dubias and he would chase them when he was little - I now use a bowl that they cant get out of or have a harder time now getting out since the roaches are good size but the worms and little dubias I am feeding Blaze they cant get out of--- I would keep a chart on weight and see if hes gaining---- once a week I would be weighing him ----
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":30l36y2i said:
Is he eating the vegies at lunch? I start off w/ vegies w/ something like a small super worm on top or BSFL to get his attention to the bowl - when you feed the crickets first off its going to be harder to get him to eat vegies as an adult --- believe me I know first hand on this one--- the crickets are they not moving or how are you feeding them ? I fed Hiccup one at a time when he was little but not crickets I did dubias and he would chase them when he was little - I now use a bowl that they cant get out of or have a harder time now getting out since the roaches are good size but the worms and little dubias I am feeding Blaze they cant get out of--- I would keep a chart on weight and see if hes gaining---- once a week I would be weighing him ----
Karrie
He just eats the veggies out of my hand. It is arugula and sometimes bell pepper. Super Worms even tiny ones would be too big. The space between his head is about 1/2 of an inch. Tomorrow I'm going to experiment putting him in a smaller cage for feeding with no things for the crickets to hide under. I normally feed him one at a time from my hand and sometimes I put them in one at a time and he chases them. He is shedding and has grown at least 1/2 of an inch

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
He should be able to eat small super worms blaze is about 8 " long how long is yours? I would offer a bowl of salad w/ the worms- can you get bsfl? They are tiny-
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardedDragonSteve":1fgnxg9o said:
So my baby or juvie bearded dragon is about 4 to 5 months old but I dont really know. He does not want to eat in the morning but he eats at lunchtime and dinner why is that. Also how can you tell the age of the beardie

What time do you turn on the basking globe and the UV lighting ?

A cold reptile will not be interested in eating . Your dragon is not interested in eating in the morning likely because it's still cold and hasn't fully digested the food it ate "yesterday".

The solution is invest in a domestic inline light timer ( plug in )
https://www.bunnings.com.au/hpm-24-hour-double-pole-compact-timer_p0043491
, set the timer to switch the lights on maybe at 6am , offer food a couple of hours after LIGHTS ON , the dragon will be warm and hungry then.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardedDragonSteve":1gxk03gk said:
KarrieRee":1gxk03gk said:
Karrie
He just eats the veggies out of my hand. It is arugula and sometimes bell pepper. Super Worms even tiny ones would be too big. The space between his head is about 1/2 of an inch. Tomorrow I'm going to experiment putting him in a smaller cage for feeding with no things for the crickets to hide under. I normally feed him one at a time from my hand and sometimes I put them in one at a time and he chases them. He is shedding and has grown at least 1/2 of an inch

Small silkworms up to 1 inch or 1.5 inches long.
2nd and 3rd instar BSFL
blowfly gents
are all very soft and perfect size and perfect as staple feeders for your little juvenile dragon .
These are all slow moving and can be left for the day in a suitable smooth sided feeder dish for the dragon to pick at his leisure.

1/3 size crickets which are gutloaded and dusted are very good too as staple everyday feeder insects.
As are same size roaches or hoppers.
Only drop 2 or 3 crickets in with him at a time, let him eat them, then offer a few more , stop when he looses interest. This way he wont be overwhelmed by the fast moving bugs going in all directions.

I'd reserve superworms and mealworms for use as treats ONLY.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":11gck3qq said:
BeardedDragonSteve":11gck3qq said:

A cold reptile will not be interested in eating . Your dragon is not interested in eating in the morning likely because it's still cold and hasn't fully digested the food it ate "yesterday".

, set the timer to switch the lights on maybe at 6am , offer food a couple of hours after LIGHTS ON , the dragon will be warm and hungry then.
I normally turn on the lights and heat at 7 in the morning when I wake up. And I turn them off at 9:30. I dont feed him before the lights go out. I normally feed him at breakfast, lunch, and dinner

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":26fvoatq said:
He should be able to eat small super worms blaze is about 8 " long how long is yours? I would offer a bowl of salad w/ the worms- can you get bsfl? They are tiny-
Karrie
He is about 7 3/4 inches

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":kkomwj47 said:
Karrie
I'm able to afford getting them from flukers for about $10 with shipping. I can get 250 medium sized

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":glizb8x8 said:
BeardedDragonSteve":glizb8x8 said:

I can't use that because its in Australia and I live in california USA

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
BeardedDragonSteve":ricmceb0 said:
kingofnobbys":ricmceb0 said:
BeardedDragonSteve":ricmceb0 said:

I normally turn on the lights and heat at 7 in the morning when I wake up. And I turn them off at 9:30. I dont feed him before the lights go out. I normally feed him at breakfast, lunch, and dinner

I take it you wake , and have brekky all inside an hour before leaving for the day / morning ( school, work) , so he's not getting enough time to warm up . Needs at least 2 hours , 3 hours is better to warm up and get hungry and ready to eat.

Dragons body temperatures are big determinants for their metabolic rate, activity level and appetite. A cold dragon wont be hungry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom