Why are UVB bulbs such as reptiglo so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhaegaldrogo

Hatchling Member
I'm looking for UVB bulbs near for a bearded dragon. The only ones pet stores near me carry are Reptiglo and some Exo Terra (I'm talking about the fluorescent tubes, not the compact bulbs). It's quite expensive to get reptisun abroad, with shipping and all, and arcadia is the same, and I'm on somewhat of a tight budget. I could probably get one, but why are the other brands not recommended? Thanks in advance! :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays--
The Reptiglo brand is also not recommended, tube, coil or compact, as it has been associated with causing eye problems, lethargy and not eating. These fluorescent bulbs should stretch the length of your Beardies enclosure and your B.D. should be able to come within 6-8 inches of the light. The UVB should be mounted inside the tank to allow your dragon 100% of the UVB. On top of the tank can filter out up to 50% of the UVB rays your dragon needs. Mercury vapour bulbs are also a good heat & UVB source, but to allow your dragon full use of the UVB it is best to not use the mesh tank tops. Mounting them on a lampstand with a dome without using a top will allow full use of the UVB. Having the correct type of UVB light is also important to help their bones develop strong and healthy. The bold I do not recommend full length -- the need to be able to escape the rays and w/ it running full length they cant do that ----- 2/3 of the tank is good -------------
I hope this helps in answering your question --- Amazon is where you were talking about pricing I am assuming ??
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Where ( what country ) are you in ?

Yes, outside USA , UV globes (MVBs, High Quality Compacts ( like Arcadia and Exo Terra ) do exist ) and T8 and T5ho UVB globes are NOT CHEAP.

In Australia we pay a huge margin for the privilege of buying from local sellers. (But this applies to other stuff too ie cameras .)

You pay peanuts , expect a rubbish product , it's simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom