Appropriate decor and accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":3o6ah520 said:
Hi, I recently posted in general discussion about a bearded dragon from Santa for my 8 year old twins. We have officially decided to take the plunge into the world of the dragons and now I'm starting to look at the small things I can start purchasing for the habitat. We decided on a Repti-Zoo 48x18x18 terrarium, and I plan on decorating it almost like an area 51/roswell desert for the dragon. I want to know what kind of things I should avoid putting in the enclosure? I'm debating between ceramic tile or the sand looking reptile carpet. Also, can I paint some accessories? Acrylic paint will be used, if not I can leave it alone. I really like the desert looking landscaped habitats with faux plants and stuff. Is that safe? Anything else I should think about?

Here's some decor I found in a quick search online... it's for aquariums, but I can't see why it wouldn't be useful for a terrarium; they only issue is size. All of these are rather small. If you're going to be getting a subadult or adult beardie, you're going to need a BIG hide and a good sized basking area. I can already tell that what I've gotten for my Figment will need to be replaced as he grows But here are some fun decorations.

And definitely avoid that mat. It would be a nightmare to keep clean and sanitized. IMHO, tile is the best way to go. You could get a sandy color like a desert floor.

Area 51 sign: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...ocphy=9003409&hvtargid=pla-367752648862&psc=1

Light-up UFO: https://www.petsmart.com/fish/decor...ialty - Fish&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=google

Crashed UFO: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-...ocphy=9003409&hvtargid=pla-348509428486&psc=1

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
For heat guns, can I get a kitchen one? Or does it matter? Making a list on Amazon of everything that's necessary currently.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":yji5hyb7 said:

Thanks! I plan on getting a plug in under cabinet fluorescent fixture so I can mount it inside the habitat. Amazon seems to want to only show me hardwired ones. Which one did you get? Lighting is probably my first purchase next week lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Those undercounter fixtures do not have reflectors--- you need a fixture w/ reflector+- mine was a spendy one from pangeareptiles-- it's a Zoomed T 5 fixture-- 24"
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3gk34i5j said:
Those undercounter fixtures do not have reflectors--- you need a fixture w/ reflector+- mine was a spendy one from pangeareptiles-- it's a Zoomed T 5 fixture-- 24"
Karrie
Ohh ok. Does it matter if it mounts above or below the screen? Was reading the lighting page under care sheets and it said the undermount cabinet ones are good, but I want to make sure I get the correct one.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
As long as they have a reflector -- if you buy a T 8 bulb it will need to go inside tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot-- if you buy a T 5 bulb it can go on top of screen depending on how tall tank is-- basking spot needs to be 10-12 inches-- T 8 fixtures only go to 20" I think-- I have a 4x2x2 tank and use a 24" fixture
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3cyonv15 said:
As long as they have a reflector -- if you buy a T 8 bulb it will need to go inside tank approx 6-8 inches from basking spot-- if you buy a T 5 bulb it can go on top of screen depending on how tall tank is-- basking spot needs to be 10-12 inches-- T 8 fixtures only go to 20" I think-- I have a 4x2x2 tank and use a 24" fixture
Karrie

The enclosure will be 18 inches high. So on top should be fine I guess. I plan on having spots at different heights for the BD to get on. And I know the basking light should go right near the UVB so that when the BD is warming up it's getting itself some nice UVB rays as well. Do the ZooMed fixtures hold one bulb or two? And if two should I use two reptisun tubes? Or one reptisun tube and a traditional fluorescent tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom