Poop issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlyT90

So Fluffy was a rescue about 6 weeks ago. It's safe to assume he had poor diet before, as he was abandoned for over 8 months. Now I have him eating a proper diet and things were going great until a few days ago when I noticed his poo was getting little bit more.... liquid-ish. I figured it was just an upset tummy from the major changes he's had this past month and it would get better in a few days. Today, however, it looked like there was undigested food in his poop and good Lord did it reek! Aside from the part that looked undigested, it was more liquid-ish than poop. Like, not quite diarrhea, but not solid either. I was advised by the vet to feed him smaller than usual portions, but add an extra feeding in during the day, because he wants to gorge himself after getting used to not having reliable food source. So he'll get a total of 12 crickets throughout the day and a total of about a cup of greens (collard, mustard, and turnip mix). I'm kind of concerned about it as having solid matter in poop isn't a good thing, regardless of species.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
If he has poop that makes you leave the room its possible he has parasites/ pinworms- the only way to find out is to take a sample in and have the vet test for it --- you also need correct basking temps for digestion - what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun digital probe or stick ons? Also the UVB needs to be good as well ---- what kind of UVB are you using ? This all plays together for good and bad poops and if they are actually digesting their food like they should --- its great that you rescued him --- hopefully he will get back to good health --- we can help w/ that - I would recommend you get info on a reptile vet about testing the fecal - I would work on your husbandry first and get it sorted out and if the poops are still making you leave the room I then would suggest you take a sample in ----
But we need to find out what the issue first or at least narrow it down
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

1-off odd poos aren't really too concerning. Lots of things can cause poo issues. It doesnt really raise any red flags unless it has been constant and consistent for awhile.

He could just have had an off day just like we can :)
I wouldnt worry.

However if it continues on and becomes something common, then getting a fecal test done would be the next step.

We can go over your husbandry with you if youd like, like karrie suggested.

-Brandon

AlyT90

Original Poster
claudiusx":2fc4utds said:
We can go over your husbandry with you if youd like, like karrie suggested.
That would be awesome since I was totally unprepared for dragon care. What all do you need to know?

KarrieRee":2fc4utds said:
...you also need correct basking temps for digestion - what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun digital probe or stick ons? Also the UVB needs to be good as well ---- what kind of UVB are you using ?
Karrie

His basking is about 95°f but it's by a stick on dial gauge. I can bust out my tools and use my temp gun. As for the uv bulb... I have no idea. My sister in law donated her late beardie's hab (she passed away from age, I already asked and did a massive disinfection clean before using it). Honestly, the UV could be the issue as it was pre-used.

Fluffy is also shedding pretty heavy for what has to be the first time in ages and was about the same time he started having the loosening of poo. Since it's mainly his tail by the poop chute, could there be a connection to the loose parts?

Also, he barely munches the crickets before they go down the hatch. Could that be a problem? His life depended on an over active hunt drive for so long he may not be taking the time to properly eat.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please post pics of tank and lighting -- I am concerned about the UVB ----
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box---
You need accurate temps for basking --- yes if you have a infrared heat gun use it and I would recommend a digital probe thermom as well -- $5 from Petco or Petsmart --
The loose stools might be cause of the shedding but I am not sure -- my guess is tho the temp in the tank for basking it needs to be checked to see what it actually is -- 95 is ok but I am thinking more on the lines of 95-105 so warmer would be better -- Barely munches the crickets ??? What do you mean by that? Is he having trouble eating ?
Karrie

AlyT90

Original Poster
His appetite is fine but it seems like he gets in a hurry when crickets are involved. I've even started feeding them one at a time, but he still bites maybe twice before he hoorks them down. I was thinking a less active prey, like worms, may be better, as the regular prey food, than crickets.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Try dubia roaches-- they are better nutritional value anyway-- you can them online from different suppliers- I get mine from www.dubiaroaches.com-- they sell other things like worms check them out--- I would feed roaches in a smooth side bowl
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom