Possibly Sick? (Long Story)

Status
Not open for further replies.

laceyridley

Original Poster
I worried about the lighting too. But he has became much more active since getting his new bulbs. So it just doesn't make sense to me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You might try to get a different screen like this one :

https://www.amazon.com/Zilla-Reptile-Terrarium-Covers-36x18-inch/dp/B000QFQ30K/ref=sr_1_1?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgd-2xaXd5AIViJ-fCh3Y7wqTEAAYASAAEgK18vD_BwE&hvadid=178329216851&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9006313&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t1&hvqmt=b&hvrand=8511355778688621830&hvtargid=kwd-173553543604&hydadcr=10663_9894869&keywords=40+gallon+breeder+screen+lid&qid=1568910377&sr=8-1

For handling, you definitely can accomplish it. Put on a pair of gloves and firmly but gently + slowly pick him right up. Neither of you will die or pass out or anything. He may struggle but just hold him firmly against your chest. He will settle down as he realizes he can't go anywhere and you hold him for 10-15 minutes like that. Start out like that + increase the holding time to 20 minutes and walk around slowly with him. He will get used to it. After a while sit in a different room + allow him on your lap . This method will work but you have to do it. I know you got discouraged but now he knows he gets what he wants this way and you can't enjoy him as you intended. Just a little work and you and he will both benefit and he will be a lap dragon.

laceyridley

Original Poster
I do like that cover a lot more! Especially with having a cat. She likes to climb on top of his tank and I'm afraid with the hinges that it may cave in one day. I'll add it to my wishlist.

As far as handling him, soon I will be home 24/7 on maternity leave. That's my plan to make him love me lol. When the new baby sleeps, it's beardie time lol.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K, good deal ! Congrats. on the new baby, when is he/she due ! You'll want to make sure to never wear the same clothes if you handle the beardie + later handle the baby. Wash hands scrupulously and of course never put the dragon in anything that the baby would be in or on.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need to do something w/ the cat-- I am guessing the cat is stressing the dragon out especially if he's on top of that tank--- this could be another reason for the aggressive- behavior
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Those are great ideas to get him to enjoy being handled again. It can happen but it will most
definitely take time.
I don't think he is sick, but possibly just over stressed for some reason. Changing the top of the
tank might help things to be a little easier though. Lighting is very crucial, but might not be the
issue right now but it's hard to know for sure.
You could consider trying the T5 tube bulb for a stronger UVB exposure for him, that might help
him out some. At this point, anything is worth a shot!

Tracie

laceyridley

Original Poster
The cat has been around for almost 2 years now. We got them just a couple of months apart. He actually acts like he wants to play with her sometimes. It still scares me though. But, I'm determined to make it work.

Also, We moved the uvb last night. It is now on the underside of the screen so he will get more uvb. Also added a second basking bulb with his current one. The stick on thermometer wasn't reading last night when I got home, so I checked how it felt when I fed him dinner. It felt too cold to me. I will be getting a new digital thermometer tomorrow when I run my errands.

Just adding the second light made him wake up immediately this morning. He was sitting at his bowl begging for breakfast. I will post new pictures of his setup once I get my thermometer. If all of this doesn't improve his health, then I will be trying to find a way to make him less stressed. I just feel stress would be odd since he has been in the same spot for over a year now, with the same home dynamics as he has always had. It's not impossible, but it's also not that likely. He just got sickly recently so I'm not sure. We are working on it though! He is LOVING his diet change too. Even ate all of his squash this morning, which he never has before.

Fingers crossed he continues to improves.

laceyridley

Original Poster
*UPDATE*

Came home today to find him chilling in a pile of poo. So I removed him from the tank for bath time. While he had a good soak, I cleaned everything else up. After putting it all back together, I got a couple of pictures. Also, the extra basking bulb over his spot seemed to help over that last 24 hours. The stick on thermometer reads 95°F. I have a digital one ordered with our groceries that I will pick up tomorrow morning.
106059-7378761973.jpg
New UVB placement and extra basking bulb since one seemed too cold.
106059-7021756880.jpg
Still grumpy from his bath, but he looks better!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Did you get something to take basking temps w/? And can he sit under his UVB? It looks like he can w / the rock sitting under it---- never mind I just read the rest of the post --- that stick on is basically for ambient temp-- I have one in my tank as well but it gives me a ball park figure of what the hot side is running I take basking temps w/ a infrared heat gun --- once you get your probe take it and set it on that basking log hes on -- leave it sit there for 10 minutes and it will tell you what its at --- he needs temp to be around 95-105 or so ---- so glad hes doing much better
Karrie

laceyridley

Original Poster
Yes ma'am. I am getting the digital thermometer tomorrow. It will go in his basking area and the stick on will be for ambient temperature. I think the one basking bulb by itself just wasn't enough for him. Once we added the second and moved the uvb, huge difference. Fingers crossed he continues to improve!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Excellent, the increased temp. + better uvb exposure should do the trick. He looks to be a good weight + body size there so no worries that he's too thin. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I hope he continues to improve! He should really benefit from the better temperature
gradient & stronger UVB also. Keep us posted on how he is doing. :D

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom