Appropriate decor and accessories

Status
Not open for further replies.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Hi, I recently posted in general discussion about a bearded dragon from Santa for my 8 year old twins. We have officially decided to take the plunge into the world of the dragons and now I'm starting to look at the small things I can start purchasing for the habitat. We decided on a Repti-Zoo 48x18x18 terrarium, and I plan on decorating it almost like an area 51/roswell desert for the dragon. I want to know what kind of things I should avoid putting in the enclosure? I'm debating between ceramic tile or the sand looking reptile carpet. Also, can I paint some accessories? Acrylic paint will be used, if not I can leave it alone. I really like the desert looking landscaped habitats with faux plants and stuff. Is that safe? Anything else I should think about?

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":cgpn8fp5 said:
Sand , gravel that can be ingested needs to excluded.

96527_PT2._AC_SL1500_V1518195101_.jpg

Even this stuff? I did feel it and I'm worried about particles coming loose so I'm asking.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

You can paint some items if you wish. If you are unaware of the paints being non toxic you can always spray a sealer over the items after painting.

I've not use those sand mats but I know some have. I believe they are just glued/epoxied particles to the mat. So there is a chance that the particles and pebbles could come off, but youd really just have to watch it and see. I cant speak from experience on it.

Your theme sounds cool! Looking forward to seeing it

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I recommend slated ceramic tile or textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes- the sand mats are expensive to keep replacing I have used them before - they are hard to keep clean along w/ the reptile carpet- the tile and shelf liner are a snap to clean w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle 50/50- insects cannot get underneath - the tile would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter--- I have purchased most of my decor from Petsmart they are spendy tho --- think big - do not buy small stuff or you will end up buying more --- I like Petsmarts decor it is nice stuff--- and easy to clean - its made of resin material ---
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":vpeuv6k2 said:
I recommend slated ceramic tile or textured non adhesive shelf liner from Home Depot or Lowes- the sand mats are expensive to keep replacing I have used them before - they are hard to keep clean along w/ the reptile carpet- the tile and shelf liner are a snap to clean w/ vinegar/ water in a spray bottle 50/50- insects cannot get underneath - the tile would need to be cut w/ a tile cutter--- I have purchased most of my decor from Petsmart they are spendy tho --- think big - do not buy small stuff or you will end up buying more --- I like Petsmarts decor it is nice stuff--- and easy to clean - its made of resin material ---
Karrie

Hrmmm...slate tile it is. We’re actually remodeling our bathrooms currently so it should be easy enough to get them cut lol. I want some kind of large look rock platform with steps, and maybe a UFO looking perch. I found a website that shows how to make the stuff with foam board, white sand grout and mod podge because it is nontoxic. I’m looking forward to showing this thing off. This is my kids big Santa Claus present although we’re waiting until after Santa passes to have the lizard shipped to us. I plan on filling the terrarium with the decor and some fun things for my kids that are bearded dragon related like a member on here suggested! Such a great idea because I was wondering how to hide a live animal from then while simultaneously keeping it alive lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please do not make things permanent for basking -- you want to be able to move the decor he sits on if temps are not right - there have been many people that have made tanks and basking areas that they cannot change and temps are not correct- it is easier to move basking platforms etc if your temp is not correct - making it higher or lower or the whole thing all together --- just a heads up-- the tile needs to be textured not course -- it will be too hard on tummys also not smooth for them slipping
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":s4gqpfyz said:
Please do not make things permanent for basking -- you want to be able to move the decor he sits on if temps are not right - there have been many people that have made tanks and basking areas that they cannot change and temps are not correct- it is easier to move basking platforms etc if your temp is not correct - making it higher or lower or the whole thing all together --- just a heads up-- the tile needs to be textured not course -- it will be too hard on tummys also not smooth for them slipping
Karrie

Ah k good to know. So not too rough but not smooth either. Good to know about the basking spot. I'll definitely make something movable. Honestly I want everything to be able to be moved/removed for cleaning and such anyway. There's a natural slate tile I was looking at for my bathroom floors that I'm sure will be perfect for the enclosure. And I can just buy a few sample tiles and choose the ones I want.

EDIT: I saw many posts on a CHE. Is that the the best thing? Or can heated rocks do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you need extra heat yes a CHE is the best way to go --- NO heat rocks- dragons heat from the top not the tummies----wattage will depend on size of tank - I have a Zen Habitat and its made of bamboo sides and back not glass - its 120 gallon and I have a 100 watt for winter which keeps tank around 70 at nite -- if your tank will stay above 65 you wont need one anything below you will need it --
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2srga94k said:
If you need extra heat yes a CHE is the best way to go --- NO heat rocks- dragons heat from the top not the tummies----wattage will depend on size of tank - I have a Zen Habitat and its made of bamboo sides and back not glass - its 120 gallon and I have a 100 watt for winter which keeps tank around 70 at nite -- if your tank will stay above 65 you wont need one anything below you will need it --
Karrie

Oh ok. Yea I won’t need that then I live in the southern United States. We have central air and heat and house is never above or below 67. That’s a relief at least once less thing to buy lol. We’re planning on the repti zoo enclosure that’s 48 inches wide by 18 inches deep and 18 inches high. Supposed to be a good one. Still thoroughly researching.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ddfk6lq said:
I would suggest you look at Zen Habitats -- they are light weight and hold heat better than glass
http://www.zenhabitats.com
Karrie

I’ve looked at then but the extra 6 inches jutting out into the living room won’t work. I do like them though and I know they’re great, they were my first choice. Considering I live in a pretty warm area I’m not concerned now. I figured the CHE was to keep everything at a constant temperature. My husband and I used to keep a reef tank and had few issues keeping the tank at a constant 78 degrees with an LED light. With the high heat bulbs for dragons I don’t think I should have any problems, but I will be purchasing a heat ray gun to keep things in check.

Edit: what fixtures and bulbs do you recommend?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB I would recommend a 24-36" fixture --- your tank is a roughly 67 gallon tank --- do not go the full length of tank -- he needs to be able to escape those UVB rays w/ out having to hide from them--- I would recommend the Reptisun 10.0 T 5--- depending on how high basking spot is would depend on it either going into tank or on top of screen- the T 5 is strong enough for that but basking spot needs to be 10-12 inches from where he sits to bask --- the basking bulb needs to be a bright white bulb that can hold basking temps to 105-110 for a baby and 95-105 for an adult -- those are trial and error - depends on room if its a cold room or a warm room --- and what the tank is made of --- glass are harder to keep temps unless you have a warm room then they arent too bad--- You can find the T '5 fixtures at various places on line- I just ordered one from http://www.pangeareptiles.com--- very nice people and they are fast-- I am using the Arcadia 14% bulb in my tank --- it will fit the T 5 fixture -- I might add since they are a 14% bulb they are stronger so I have my UVB in the tank but it is roughly 13" from basking spot --- Hiccup doesnt mind it so it must not be too strong for him -- if they are too strong they will hide or not bask under it for long periods of time -- i know the box said 13" from basking so I followed what the box said
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":pjajd3rh said:
UVB I would recommend a 24-36" fixture --- your tank is a roughly 67 gallon tank --- do not go the full length of tank -- he needs to be able to escape those UVB rays w/ out having to hide from them--- I would recommend the Reptisun 10.0 T 5--- depending on how high basking spot is would depend on it either going into tank or on top of screen- the T 5 is strong enough for that but basking spot needs to be 10-12 inches from where he sits to bask --- the basking bulb needs to be a bright white bulb that can hold basking temps to 105-110 for a baby and 95-105 for an adult -- those are trial and error - depends on room if its a cold room or a warm room --- and what the tank is made of --- glass are harder to keep temps unless you have a warm room then they arent too bad--- You can find the T '5 fixtures at various places on line- I just ordered one from http://www.pangeareptiles.com--- very nice people and they are fast-- I am using the Arcadia 14% bulb in my tank --- it will fit the T 5 fixture -- I might add since they are a 14% bulb they are stronger so I have my UVB in the tank but it is roughly 13" from basking spot --- Hiccup doesnt mind it so it must not be too strong for him -- if they are too strong they will hide or not bask under it for long periods of time -- i know the box said 13" from basking so I followed what the box said
Karrie
Ok those are the lights I’ve been hearing are the best. I’m trying to make a list of what I need to get those first, then optional things later. Habitat and dragon will come last.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
yes get your lighting in order first -- that is crucial -- decor can be added later
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom