Do All Females Lay Eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry if that sounds like a dunderhead of a question... I'm just curious. If all females lay eggs, how often do they do so? I've got no idea if my Figment is male or female yet, and am waiting until s/he's a bit more settled and easy to handle before trying to figure it out, but figure it's never too early to ask.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Post pics of Figments butt in the air w/ tail up and see if we can help sex
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi,

Nope not all females will lay infertile eggs. Seems to just be the luck of the draw sometimes. :D

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So far , none of my adult female have been mated or ever laid slugs ( infertile eggs ).

I don't brumate my skinks or dragons either.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I cant but some others might be able to --- my breeder that I got Blaze from said he was a male and he was only 7 weeks old- dont know how they do it or what they look for but guess we will see --
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":3swvggc5 said:
I cant but some others might be able to --- my breeder that I got Blaze from said he was a male and he was only 7 weeks old- dont know how they do it or what they look for but guess we will see --
Karrie

It involves a very bright torch , I've not tried this with skinks or dragons , but if it works for hatchling monitors , it should work for hatchling dragons , refer to http://varanidae.org/Vol3_No1_Brown.pdf
and
Candlelighting Vigilis: A noninvasive method for sexing small, sexually monomorphic lizards.
Davis, A.R. and Leavitt, D. H., 2007.
Herpetological Review 38(4): 402-404.

The process in a nutshell :
Browns-HTI-method-to-sex-male-hatchling-monitors-and-perhaps-dr.png

Browns-HTI-method-to-sex-female-hatchling-monitors-and-perhaps.png

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
kingofnobbys":3pwcnw4l said:
ComicBookMama":3pwcnw4l said:
KarrieRee":3pwcnw4l said:
Post pics of Figments butt in the air w/ tail up and see if we can help sex
Karrie

Will give it a go - can you tell at three months old?
YES ! definitely.

Tried to get a good, clear pic tonight, but little Squirmy McSquirmikins would NOT hold still. I will try again tomorrow and enlist my husband's help. On the upside, I feel pretty certain that I saw two little lumps on the tail region rather than one, so I'm now thinking male - but will try to get a picture for the expert folks to confirm for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom