Chedder under the weather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
AHBD":3makfkei said:
I agree, she's a good size. I only mentioned it because the vet wants force feeding done but she does not need it. She will eventually poo. She looks great, she is a big teen-ager. :)
Completely agree. And sorry if you thought I was directing my comment at you. I was just answering ops question at the bottom of the post above mine. :)

And I totally agree in regards to avoiding the force feeding. Not needed at all.

360g is definitely a good size. Cheddar looks great though :)
She should definitely be able to pass whatever is in her.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
No, not at all Brandon. :) I think we were both commenting that she's hefty enough to not need to be concerned if she's not eating at the moment.

possumpeg

Original Poster
Got a call from the vet and

Her white cell count is elevated. She said that Cheddar may have a virus she is fighting off. There are no parasites or bacteria present in x-ray or blood smear, and nothing to indicate other metabolic issues - kidney and other functions are normal.

She said that although her calcium is in the normal range, she didn't like the look of her x-ray and wanted me to give her the liquid calcium supplement every day and continue that until we see a poop, then every other day for 6 weeks. She also wants me to get a new calcium supplement. She said that these supplements do expire :shock: and need to be thrown out and replaced every six months. Any suggestions on the best calcium?

She wants me to continue to bathe her daily to keep her as hydrated as possible, since she is not eating her veggies. I am trying acorn squash today. She at least tasted it. Should I try BSFL, due to their higher calcium?

There is a lady up the road who has a prickly pear in her yard that I know doesn't get sprayed or treated. I'm going to see if she would let me have a pear and a leaf. Maybe Cheddar needs some soul food. Thoughts?

I still have her temp turned up and she is moving around her enclosure more. So far her temperature hasn't dropped below about 90f during the day.

Recheck in 2-3 weeks or immediately if something changes. As soon as we have poop, it will be tested. So far the vet bill is well over $400 U.S. :eek:

possumpeg

Original Poster
Got a call from the vet and

Her white cell count is elevated. She said that Cheddar may have a virus she is fighting off. There are no parasites or bacteria present in x-ray or blood smear, and nothing to indicate other metabolic issues - kidney and other functions are normal.

She said that although her calcium is in the normal range, she didn't like the look of her x-ray and wanted me to give her the liquid calcium supplement every day and continue that until we see a poop, then every other day for 6 weeks. She also wants me to get a new calcium supplement. She said that these supplements do expire :shock: and need to be thrown out and replaced every six months. Any suggestions on the best calcium?

She wants me to continue to bathe her daily to keep her as hydrated as possible, since she is not eating her veggies. I am trying acorn squash today. She at least tasted it. Should I try BSFL, due to their higher calcium?

There is a lady up the road who has a prickly pear in her yard that I know doesn't get sprayed or treated. I'm going to see if she would let me have a pear and a leaf. Maybe Cheddar needs some soul food. Thoughts?

I still have her temp turned up and she is moving around her enclosure more. So far her temperature hasn't dropped below about 90f during the day.

Recheck in 2-3 weeks or immediately if something changes. As soon as we have poop, it will be tested. So far the vet bill is well over $400 U.S. :eek:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a pic of the blood tests ? It's worth remembering that the w.b.c can get elevated simply from the stress of a vet visit. I still don't think anything serious is going on, small chance of it though I will admit but I don't think so. I would not force feed her at all, a little more time and she'll eventually poo. Baths maybe twice a week, not daily unless she actually likes them. And for natural laxatives try any of these things I mention until you see what she likes : [ and yes, try the cactus ! :)
canned pumpkin , baby food squash, green beans, peas, prunes mixed with water, a bit of honey + olive oil mixed with any of those. She will eventually go, just be patient . :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was gonna ask the same thing. I tend to agree with AHBD on this, there is a chance something is going on, but there is also a chance of not.

I think we tend to freak out a lot when things go slightly wrong because dragons are hard to understand at times. We forget that they do have an immune system too and are perfectly capable of getting sick, and getting better all under their own power.
Not to be mistaken for taking the health of your dragon lax, but they do have the capability to fight off things without intervention just like we do.

But if you can post all the blood results it might be more telling.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Possumpeg if I understood right I just caught in your last post that the lowest temp. in the tank is 90 F ? If so that's a bit too hot. Try for 82-84 on the cool side with the hot end around 100, that should keep her active + her metabolism up elevated.

possumpeg

Original Poster
I will get a copy of the test results when I see the vet so I can show them.

What does the honey do :?:

I agree with not force feeding her. It just stresses her I think, and I know it is stressing me! I told the vet that she is taking her meds willingly and will eat a few roaches if I put them in front of her. She did nibble at the squash and her usual greens this morning. The vet seemed satisfied with that.

I think she is learning to relax in the bath. As long as she can touch the floor of the tub or I have my hand in there for her to grip. I think it's the slick floor of the tub and the sound of the running water that freaks her out. She actually seemed to relax today. I ran the tub before I put her in and then I just lowered her in the water while she sat on my arm. She closed her eyes and just sat there. Either she's tired of fighting it or she's learning to enjoy it. Maybe both. This time she stayed in there for about 20 minutes.

I had a thought - doesn't happen often, but it does happen :wink: After school let out in May, I didn't go in and turn her lights on at 6 am because my son didn't need to get off to school. She did have less light over the last few months, because he didn't turn on the lights until he got up (9am to noon some days), so do you think she may actually be confused?

Any thoughts on trying the BSFL?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes a change in light schedule can affect behavior but since it's getting close to the time when some beardies start a slow down [ like a short brumation ] that can also factor in. Bsfl would be fine, hornworms are especially good for helping them to poo. Honey can have a laxative effect and tastes good to most beardies . And I still would avoid a daily 20 minute bath, she will not get more hydrated but may get more stressed.

possumpeg

Original Poster
We have poop!!!

Of course it would happen on a holiday weekend, when I have to save the poop for the vet, but we do have it finally.

Now if she wants to hide under a rock, I'll let her.

possumpeg

Original Poster
Cheddar is doing well, I think. I turned a shoe box upside down in her enclosure as a hide and added a stone instead of a hammock for her to bask on. The temp on the stone is between 95-105* depending on where she is laying. She ate well for a few days, and pooped. Then she went into her hide for a few days. She has continued with this behavior since I rearranged the enclosure. I check on her in the hide if I haven't seen her for a couple days, and she is cool but still breathing and opens her eyes. So, I guess you guys are right. She appears to be doing her version of brumating. I took her out once and put her in a warm bath, where she proceeded to poop again, and I put her back in her hide. I'm just kind of watching over her, and feeding her when she comes out. Lights and heat remain the same everyday. I haven't taken her back to the vet simply because it seems to stress her more than help her. :dontknow:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Everything sounds normal. Go with what you feel comfortable with but I would skip the vet + let her rest. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom