Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby WafflesLover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:51 am

Ever since my young beardie died of MBD from improper care from his previous owner (Waffles) I'm not letting this happen again. I've had Houdini for a year, he is a male bearded dragon, purchased from a local pet store. After the death of Waffles, my parents wanted me to purchase from a local store, in case anything happened. Feel free to ask questions about the setup, as I'm not sure what information I should be giving. I'm currently trying to set up a vet appointment because I don't see any new growth in Houdini. He is 10 inches long. Concerned it is a parasite!
WafflesLover
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 am

Please post pics of tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at top of message -- post pics -- I am guessing it has something to do w/ the lighting -- and basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun?? digital probe? or stick ons? We can better help w/ pics
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby claudiusx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:20 am

Hi there,

Is the measurement nose to vent or nose to tail tip? Does he have his full tail?
10 inches is really small for a year old dragon.

We need lots of details to try to pinpoint what could be the cause.

Like karrie asked,

What are you using for uvb?
What is your basking surface temp?
What does his daily diet look like? Types of food and amounts please.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15720
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:26 am

How are you monitoring his growth ?
How often are you measuring his growth ( body weight ? , total length ? or vent to snout length ? )
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Fluffy rescued injured by lawnwacker14Nov17, Gutzy 27Sep19.
Lucky - cat attack rescue, SI RIP 21Jul2010.
Wriggles - injured rescued, boss lizard, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16. .
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko
 
Posts: 10769
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 10:56 pm

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby WafflesLover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:26 am

KarrieRee wrote:Please post pics of tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at top of message -- post pics -- I am guessing it has something to do w/ the lighting -- and basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun?? digital probe? or stick ons? We can better help w/ pics
Karrie

Since I'm currently at school, I cannot provide pictures, but I can provide information.
I can check when I get home, but I believe it is a 10.0 Reptisun UVB strip. He also has an Exo Terra heat lamp that I believe is 75 watts. His tank is a custom built wooden tank, so maybe it doesn't keep the heat in? I check my heat with the stick ons, or the small digital probe. Basking Temps are high 90's.
Adding on, he is 10 inches from nose tip to tail tip. He has his full tall. I wasn't monitoring his growth at all, to be honest until recently. I do not have a scale for him.
WafflesLover
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:34 am

Stick ons are way off-- use the probe-- the UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? Where on tank? On top of screen or inside tank--- ? When you get home post pics please- basking temps are crucial for the health of the dragon along w/ that UVB--
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby claudiusx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:37 am

Your setup sounds ok, but can you be more specific on your basking surface temp?

Also, you didnt answer the diet questions.
If hes not eating enough, he wont be growing.

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15720
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby WafflesLover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:39 am

KarrieRee wrote:Stick ons are way off-- use the probe-- the UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? Where on tank? On top of screen or inside tank--- ? When you get home post pics please- basking temps are crucial for the health of the dragon along w/ that UVB--
Karrie

Thank you for getting back so quickly. I will have to check when I get home whether or not it is T8 or T5. To be completely honest, I had no idea there was a difference. How do I tell what is which?

In response to the other question, he is being fed 3/4 inch crickets, and small super worms. He is being fed every day, to every other day. He eats like a PIG.
WafflesLover
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby KarrieRee » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:45 am

He needs to be fed salad everyday --- here is a nutrition website for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
take a pic of the bulb --- do you still have the box it came in? Post the pic of the bulb if you dont have the box still ---
Karrie
KarrieRee
Extreme Poster
 
Posts: 3881
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:24 am

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby WafflesLover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:50 am

KarrieRee wrote:He needs to be fed salad everyday --- here is a nutrition website for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
take a pic of the bulb --- do you still have the box it came in? Post the pic of the bulb if you dont have the box still ---
Karrie

I completley forgot to mention- I feed him kale collard greens every other day. But good to know that I should be feeding them every day. Houdini is very picky when it comes to vegetables, but he really enjoys kale.
WafflesLover
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby claudiusx » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:53 am

How many crickets is he eating every day? Or worms. That is the most important part really.

Are you allowing him to eat as much as he can or are you limiting him.

Since you've had him for a year, he should have been getting fed 2 times a day, and as many feeders as he will eat at each of those feedings. Along with a daily salad.

You most likely have the t8 bulb. Which is fine.

It's most likely going to come down to his diet, and making sure your basking surface is hot enough for him to properly digest and absorb the food he eats.

Is he pooing often?
Is it well formed or loose and runny?

-Brandon
User avatar
claudiusx
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 15720
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:44 pm
Location: California

Re: Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Postby WafflesLover » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:54 am

claudiusx wrote:How many crickets is he eating every day? Or worms. That is the most important part really.

Are you allowing him to eat as much as he can or are you limiting him.

Since you've had him for a year, he should have been getting fed 2 times a day, and as many feeders as he will eat at each of those feedings. Along with a daily salad.

You most likely have the t8 bulb. Which is fine.

It's most likely going to come down to his diet, and making sure your basking surface is hot enough for him to properly digest and absorb the food he eats.

Is he pooing often?
Is it well formed or loose and runny?

-Brandon


Houdini is allowed to eat as much as he wants in 10 minutes, for the majority of the time his food is little super worms, and they are dunked in water before feeding. He poops almost every day, if not every other day. Some times it is well formed, while sometimes it can be a little watery.
WafflesLover
Newbie Poster
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:38 pm
- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -


Return to Beardie ER

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot]