Bearded Dragon not growing-Parasite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ever since my young beardie died of MBD from improper care from his previous owner (Waffles) I'm not letting this happen again. I've had Houdini for a year, he is a male bearded dragon, purchased from a local pet store. After the death of Waffles, my parents wanted me to purchase from a local store, in case anything happened. Feel free to ask questions about the setup, as I'm not sure what information I should be giving. I'm currently trying to set up a vet appointment because I don't see any new growth in Houdini. He is 10 inches long. Concerned it is a parasite!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at top of message -- post pics -- I am guessing it has something to do w/ the lighting -- and basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun?? digital probe? or stick ons? We can better help w/ pics
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Is the measurement nose to vent or nose to tail tip? Does he have his full tail?
10 inches is really small for a year old dragon.

We need lots of details to try to pinpoint what could be the cause.

Like karrie asked,

What are you using for uvb?
What is your basking surface temp?
What does his daily diet look like? Types of food and amounts please.

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
How are you monitoring his growth ?
How often are you measuring his growth ( body weight ? , total length ? or vent to snout length ? )

WafflesLover

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3c8841fk said:
Please post pics of tank and lighting https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click XIMG at top of message -- post pics -- I am guessing it has something to do w/ the lighting -- and basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? Infrared heat gun?? digital probe? or stick ons? We can better help w/ pics
Karrie
Since I'm currently at school, I cannot provide pictures, but I can provide information.
I can check when I get home, but I believe it is a 10.0 Reptisun UVB strip. He also has an Exo Terra heat lamp that I believe is 75 watts. His tank is a custom built wooden tank, so maybe it doesn't keep the heat in? I check my heat with the stick ons, or the small digital probe. Basking Temps are high 90's.
Adding on, he is 10 inches from nose tip to tail tip. He has his full tall. I wasn't monitoring his growth at all, to be honest until recently. I do not have a scale for him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Stick ons are way off-- use the probe-- the UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? Where on tank? On top of screen or inside tank--- ? When you get home post pics please- basking temps are crucial for the health of the dragon along w/ that UVB--
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your setup sounds ok, but can you be more specific on your basking surface temp?

Also, you didnt answer the diet questions.
If hes not eating enough, he wont be growing.

-Brandon

WafflesLover

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1vrytygp said:
Stick ons are way off-- use the probe-- the UVB is it a T 8 or a T 5? Where on tank? On top of screen or inside tank--- ? When you get home post pics please- basking temps are crucial for the health of the dragon along w/ that UVB--
Karrie
Thank you for getting back so quickly. I will have to check when I get home whether or not it is T8 or T5. To be completely honest, I had no idea there was a difference. How do I tell what is which?

In response to the other question, he is being fed 3/4 inch crickets, and small super worms. He is being fed every day, to every other day. He eats like a PIG.

WafflesLover

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3ql3ayjm said:
He needs to be fed salad everyday --- here is a nutrition website for you
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
take a pic of the bulb --- do you still have the box it came in? Post the pic of the bulb if you dont have the box still ---
Karrie
I completley forgot to mention- I feed him kale collard greens every other day. But good to know that I should be feeding them every day. Houdini is very picky when it comes to vegetables, but he really enjoys kale.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
How many crickets is he eating every day? Or worms. That is the most important part really.

Are you allowing him to eat as much as he can or are you limiting him.

Since you've had him for a year, he should have been getting fed 2 times a day, and as many feeders as he will eat at each of those feedings. Along with a daily salad.

You most likely have the t8 bulb. Which is fine.

It's most likely going to come down to his diet, and making sure your basking surface is hot enough for him to properly digest and absorb the food he eats.

Is he pooing often?
Is it well formed or loose and runny?

-Brandon

WafflesLover

Original Poster
claudiusx":22wfzf51 said:
How many crickets is he eating every day? Or worms. That is the most important part really.

Are you allowing him to eat as much as he can or are you limiting him.

Since you've had him for a year, he should have been getting fed 2 times a day, and as many feeders as he will eat at each of those feedings. Along with a daily salad.

You most likely have the t8 bulb. Which is fine.

It's most likely going to come down to his diet, and making sure your basking surface is hot enough for him to properly digest and absorb the food he eats.

Is he pooing often?
Is it well formed or loose and runny?

-Brandon

Houdini is allowed to eat as much as he wants in 10 minutes, for the majority of the time his food is little super worms, and they are dunked in water before feeding. He poops almost every day, if not every other day. Some times it is well formed, while sometimes it can be a little watery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom