First Time Posting - Need ADVICE. Possibly sick??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allegra

Original Poster
AHBD":2b5vey7o said:
She does look like quite a big girl, looks hefty, healthy + alert. :) BTW, are you positive on the gender ? I ask because of the black beard + big blocky head. Females CAN have those traits but not very often. If your'e not positive can you post a pic with the tail arched up high like in this pic ? Scroll down the article :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/articles/sexing/

Oh- she is absolutely biologically a male. My roommate and I did the “flashlight” test and “she” has developed femoral pores. I named her Sierra when she was a tiny tiny baby and convinced myself she was a girl, though it was too early to tell. It is so hard for me to switch pronouns so I apologize for that!! It was confusing figuring out her sex because she was displaying stereotypical female behaviors (digging) but is also a bit “hot headed” (tried to attack her reflection in a floor length mirror once- the ref [me] broke the fight up very very quickly). I PROBABLY should have mentioned that part....

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
O.K., ya silly sod, I thought he looked like a male. :) Anyway , it's important to list everything you know about your pet so that's a pretty big deal. Good thing he will never have to worry about laying eggs. :) Sierra is fine for a male beardie too ! Oh, one more thing, do you have old pics when he had tail rot ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So, Sierra is male? I agree, the head is pretty large & blocky. Most females are not quite
that way, but there are always exceptions. LOL That is a great name, too & can go either
way.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

Allegra

Original Poster
AHBD":2nw6jahv said:
O.K., ya silly sod, I thought he looked like a male. :) Anyway , it's important to list everything you know about your pet so that's a pretty big deal. Good thing he will never have to worry about laying eggs. :) Sierra is fine for a male beardie too ! Oh, one more thing, do you have old pics when he had tail rot ?

I don’t have any old pictures unfortunately (as I have gotten a new phone since), but it was the tip of the tail was jet black and almost looked like it had been sandpapered around the edges (if that makes sense)- the very, very end ended up breaking off but the “new tip” was still a bit black so I look her to the vet. I was informed that she had a potentially fatal infection (tail rot) but that they would try antibiotics before resorting to surgery (in retrospect, probably should have just gone for the surgery to begin with). She showed NO signs activity-wise of anything being wrong whatsoever. She was very young at the time so ridiculously active and seemed super happy all the time- I would have never known how sick she was!

Allegra

Original Poster
Drache613":w4z18xxz said:
Hello,

So, Sierra is male? I agree, the head is pretty large & blocky. Most females are not quite
that way, but there are always exceptions. LOL That is a great name, too & can go either
way.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

She’s (I mean HE’S) doing okay! I took out the old substrate which she has been very confused by (currently using a towel for the time being until I find something she’ll like better) as she is very sensitive to changes in environment. The gaping persists but it’s mostly in-tank now (and probably actually a good thing because she’s been under the “sun” a lot!).

She’s in the process of shedding so she’s not particularly happy- especially since she loathes soaks/baths despite them being helpful for the shedding process. Oddly enough, she has been shedding for quite a while- it’s very strange- she’s been doing it in segments. I guess this is her first “full shed” in a whiiiilleeee. She is definitely an odd ball. I caught her trying to scratch her head with her back leg (like a dog) earlier to peel herself- VERY strange.

The Petco I went to (naturally) did not have the UVB bulb so I’m checking out another store on Friday when I have the time. I perused Amazon but it seems like a lot of the bulbs on there have terrible reviews (and seems like a lot of people have received fake products). Hopefully we’ll get it resolved soon. She’s definitely sleeping better without the obnoxious red light lol

Allegra

Original Poster
UPDATE: The gaping seems to be stopping!! Super grateful for the suggestions re: removing the substrate. Using paper towels for the time being as she decided to poop all over the towel towel (multiple times) I was using before (a shame because she loves soft things).

Her poop was a bit strange the other day- no discoloration but very watery and soft. Sort of diarrhea-ish. It hasn’t happened since, though- perhaps I had been giving her too much watery lettuce (going food shopping today so I’ll take the nutrition suggestions into mind then). Still not accepting water but hopefully the change in diet will help with that (I’m very vigilant re: the risk of dehydration especially given the aforementioned questionable poops). She drinks her calcium supplement, though.

Still waiting on UVB tube but it’s en route! Thanks, everyone, again! I’m glad to see she’s making progress already and that I saved myself the $175+ on the vet visit. If the poop issue becomes routine, I guess I will have to go because, in pursuing this forum, I learned of the possibility of pin worms (unless I’m just being a hypochondriac and using these boards like a bearded dragon WebMD and am getting sucked down rabbit holes)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great thanks for the update :)

It's not uncommon for them to have the occasional weird poo, just like we do. Its not something to worry about unless it becomes a reoccurring issue.

Definitely try to get some better greens when shopping. Collard greens are a great staple green and they are pretty much available everywhere in the us.

-Brandon

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
Awww...after all the things you two have been through, she looks good there :) I'm so glad everyone was able to give you the advice and help needed. I hope she continues to thrive with you!

Vanessa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom