Does red tint night heat bulbs interfere with sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Ok so the temperatures just dropped to 66 degrees Fahrenheit and I'm hopefully going to get a night bulb today but I have heard the red tint night heat bulbs interfere with the sleep of bearded dragon please give me an answer soon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Short answer: yes they do.

Long answer:

Dragons have an extra cone in their eyes that allows them to see much more of the lighting spectrum than humans can. The world to them likely looks much more vivid and different. If you can see the light being produced, they can see it, and most likely in a much more vivid and bright fashion.

So you definitely only want to use a CHE or a true IR bulb such as one Arcadia and megaray make.

66 isnt too bad really. I dont start worrying about supplemental heat unless temps drop below 60 (which they never do in my house) or if I have a sick dragon who would benefit from the immune boost that warmer night temps provide.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Do not use a colored bulb -- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- for heat get a CHE -- ceramic heat emitter- there is NO LIGHT- you can get 75 watt I believe and 100 watt which is what I use in the winter - keeps my tank around 70 and its a 120 gallon or a 4x2x2 tank-
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":dl9w6zur said:
Do not use a colored bulb -- they are harmful to the eyes and can cause long term eye damage -- for heat get a CHE -- ceramic heat emitter- there is NO LIGHT- you can get 75 watt I believe and 100 watt which is what I use in the winter - keeps my tank around 70 and its a 120 gallon or a 4x2x2 tank-
Karrie
Also is the zoo med dual fixture a ceramic fixture

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would get a separate dome- you dont want the heat emitter running all the time - it may be too much heat --- I would get a mini dome fixture -- I paid $13 for mine -- the bulb is more -- around $30 I believe -- Remember it doesnt need to be used if the tank is above 65---
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":4y9k6j9n said:
I would get a separate dome- you dont want the heat emitter running all the time - it may be too much heat --- I would get a mini dome fixture -- I paid $13 for mine -- the bulb is more -- around $30 I believe -- Remember it doesnt need to be used if the tank is above 65---
Karrie
I'm not planning to get a 100 watt I'm planning to get the zoo med nano cause i only have a 40 gallon tank for my baby

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What ever you get dont get a colored bulb -- I dont know if you can do that w/ that type of dome--- I just looked at them on line and they show a colored bulb--- those are NO GOOD -- they disturb sleep and can cause eye damage --- like we have said if the tank is not below 65 you dont need it
Karrie

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":1px8jl9j said:
What ever you get dont get a colored bulb -- I dont know if you can do that w/ that type of dome--- I just looked at them on line and they show a colored bulb--- those are NO GOOD -- they disturb sleep and can cause eye damage --- like we have said if the tank is not below 65 you dont need it
Karrie
its the zoo med nano heat emitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom