Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IzzyLou24":1uoj8a4i said:
kingofnobbys":1uoj8a4i said:
IzzyLou24":1uoj8a4i said:
kingofnobbys":1uoj8a4i said:
Another point, what's the gravelly stuff I can see in the picture.

Not a good or safe substrate for bearded dragons , high impaction risk. I'd get rid of that stuff and replace with nonparticulate substate.

It's corn cob, very soft, foam like substrate. Not caused any problems with my partner's 6yo beardie who's been on it for 5 years but I'm planning on swapping out half the vivarium for tiles (the side with the food). Saphira loves to hide under her log and dig out the substrate to create a wall for hiding so I don't want to take that away from her :)

Corn cob bedding is highly absorbant = a perfect media for bacteria, viruses and mold, and will be also make it harder to control the relative humidity in the tank. For those reasons alone I'd be ditching it , might be for rodents and mammals and birds , but not for arid zone reptiles to live on.

So what loose substrate would you recommend? NONE . , I've never used particulate substrates for my dragons , closest they get is a few layers of kitchen grade paper toweling spread over their rearing tubs' bases or over the tiles in the big timber tanks.

Thank you for the advice and diagrams ?

IzzyLou24

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1zr9grtb said:
IzzyLou24":1zr9grtb said:
IzzyLou24":1zr9grtb said:
Another point, what's the gravelly stuff I can see in the picture.

Not a good or safe substrate for bearded dragons , high impaction risk. I'd get rid of that stuff and replace with nonparticulate substate.

It's corn cob, very soft, foam like substrate. Not caused any problems with my partner's 6yo beardie who's been on it for 5 years but I'm planning on swapping out half the vivarium for tiles (the side with the food). Saphira loves to hide under her log and dig out the substrate to create a wall for hiding so I don't want to take that away from her :)

Corn cob bedding is highly absorbant = a perfect media for bacteria, viruses and mold, and will be also make it harder to control the relative humidity in the tank. For those reasons alone I'd be ditching it , might be for rodents and mammals and birds , but not for arid zone reptiles to live on.

So what loose substrate would you recommend? NONE . , I've never used particulate substrates for my dragons , closest they get is a few layers of kitchen grade paper toweling spread over their rearing tubs' bases or over the tiles in the big timber tanks.

Thank you for the advice and diagrams ?

Okay, so what do you recommend I do to encourage Saphira's digging? Clearly she enjoys it and I won't take away one of the activities that helps her feels safe. She's a very anxious beardie who was raised corn cob, so she's been digging up a wall to keep her safe as long as she can remember. I'm not taking that away from her

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Okay, so what do you recommend I do to encourage Saphira's digging? Clearly she enjoys it and I won't take away one of the activities that helps her feels safe. She's a very anxious beardie who was raised corn cob, so she's been digging up a wall to keep her safe as long as she can remember. I'm not taking that away from her
Give a proper dig box .

Lot's of info on this board on how to set up a dig box .

None of my dragons have one and they get by just fine and get by moving their paper towel bedding about , sometimes they drag them about with a corner in their mouth to take a piece with them .

My dragons ( and skinks too ) sometime push the paper towel into a "wall" at the ends of their hides to give themselves' a darker place / more private place .
Your young dragon will grow out of their as it become larger and more secure and more laid back.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
IzzyLou24":2aehnpwa said:
Clearly she enjoys it and I won't take away one of the activities that helps her feels safe. She's a very anxious beardie who was raised corn cob, so she's been digging up a wall to keep her safe as long as she can remember. I'm not taking that away from her

She is your dragon. You know her and you are who is solely in charge of her care. Of course loose substrates are more of a risk than solid substrates, but that's not to say they are in fact risky. I personally dont use loose substrate with my dragons, but I also respect the fact that some do. I did in the past and had no issues with it. I like solid now for ease of cleaning and the lack of dust.

Continue to use the loose substrate if you want, just pay attention to your dragon :) it's as simple as that. If issues start arising from it you can always change it out. I know a lot of breeders who use a type of alfalfa pellet of sorts for their dragons. And I know some who only use solid surface substrates like I do.

I have no experience with the corn cob substrate so cant speak much for that. I used to use playsand.

-Brandon

IzzyLou24

Original Poster
claudiusx":2o2n36iy said:
IzzyLou24":2o2n36iy said:
Clearly she enjoys it and I won't take away one of the activities that helps her feels safe. She's a very anxious beardie who was raised corn cob, so she's been digging up a wall to keep her safe as long as she can remember. I'm not taking that away from her

She is your dragon. You know her and you are who is solely in charge of her care. Of course loose substrates are more of a risk than solid substrates, but that's not to say they are in fact risky. I personally dont use loose substrate with my dragons, but I also respect the fact that some do. I did in the past and had no issues with it. I like solid now for ease of cleaning and the lack of dust.

Continue to use the loose substrate if you want, just pay attention to your dragon :) it's as simple as that. If issues start arising from it you can always change it out. I know a lot of breeders who use a type of alfalfa pellet of sorts for their dragons. And I know some who only use solid surface substrates like I do.

I have no experience with the corn cob substrate so cant speak much for that. I used to use playsand.

-Brandon

Thank you :)

I appreciate that there is risk of impaction and bacteria, hence my wanting to swap out the cooler end of the vivarium for tiles, as that's where the food and water, go to minimise the risk. However, if I notice any problems it will be addressed immediately; they're my absolute world already and the last thing I want is for them to become unwell, especially at my own fault, but I also want them to be comfortable?

Again, thank you for your acceptance!

Izzy

P.S. Aurora is now officially Arturo ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lillyjane
Top Bottom