Best CHE

Status
Not open for further replies.

aroeder1

I am trying to switch over to a che lamp for night time instead of a heat mat because I will be moving my dragon to a wooden enclosure soon. What brands of che are the best and about how long do they last? Also does a regular light dimmer work to control them or do I need something different?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I don't need to use any CHEs in my tanks , tropical coastal location , never gets colder than 20 degC in my house (even on the coldest winter night).

Stick to Exo Terra and Zoo Med brands for the CHE. Some people buy elcheapo "no brand" ones from Ebay and from pet chains, and they typically don't last long , some even fail with dangerous consequences ( Snake Ranch in Gosford had their entire facility destroyed by a fire , a dodgey CHE was eventually blamed ).

Control of CHE
viv-circuitry-generalised-schematic.png

You need a regular dimming thermostat to properly control a CHE.

If you wish to stick with heatpads, , they can be safely used in plastic and timber tanks if you sandwich the pad between two layers of ceramic wall or floor tiles , a simple switching thermostat will control a heatpad / heatslab very effectively and safely. I've been using 5W and 7W "heatslab" with not problems and no failures and no overheating issues for over 10 years for my skinks' and dragons' rearing tubs and timber tanks.
This is how I set these up : viewtopic.php?f=75&t=224976&p=1746469&hilit=safe+way+to+use+heatpads#p1746469
the missing image :
heatslab.gif

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I use a mini dome Zoo Med 100 watt capacity and a Zoo Med bulb 100 watt -- I have had the one for years - I just purchased another one this week for my other tank coming today-- it is only used during the winter months -- and its on 24/7 at that time -- I got the bulb from Petco and bought the dome from pangeareptiles --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom