Stunted Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Does anyone know if your baby bearded dragon's growth can be stunted, depending on your choice of staple feeder?
For example, can a change of diet, to a healthier insect, make your dragon grow faster/larger?

I feel like my dragon is not growing at the rate he should, and I'm just concerned that it might be his diet.
(I feed him a mix of 10-15 crickets or mealworms, dusted with calcium, about 2 times a day.)

He has the proper setup and lighting in his enclosure, but he seems to have not grown much since I brought him home.
I believe he is about 2 months old, weighs 31g, 8-9 inches long
I know every beardie is different, but I feel like I have all the right things to make him grow, but he just isn't. When I brought him home, on August 12th, he was about 4-5inches.

Any suggestions? Please help :/

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

That is actually some pretty significant growth and his length right now is upper average for his age.

If hes eating and under proper care, he will grow at the rate that his genetics dictate. The only thing that we should concern ourselves with is the question, "is my dragon healthy?"

If you are feeding a proper diet and caring for him properly and he is healthy, that's all that matters :) growth is just a byproduct. Health is the goal.

Anyways, I wouldnt worry, he sounds perfectly normal :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes they all do grow at different rates - but just to make sure the proper setup and lighting in his enclosure,is correct can you tell us what the lighting in the tank is?
Karrie

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
I agree with Brandon that seems like pretty good growth to me. I didn’t notice mine growing much at first, you see them everyday so you don’t notice it. Kai hit a big growth spurt in his 3rd month, he’s almost 4 months now and almost 12 inches. We use Dubai’s as a staple.

katieeee9865

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2gn44nqv said:
Yes they all do grow at different rates - but just to make sure the proper setup and lighting in his enclosure,is correct can you tell us what the lighting in the tank is?
Karrie

The tank is a 20 gallon, for the lighting I have the basking bulb 6inches from the basking spot (I forget the exact wattage of the basking bulb but it was the proper wattage), and the Reptisun UVB 10.0 Long Bulb mounted in his cage, the right distance from his basking spot as well.
His cool side ranges from 83-79 and only drops to about 75-72 at night, his warm side ranges from 92-100, and his basking spot temperature ranges from 101-108.
He basks for a good 12 hours every day, and has no problem moving about his cage when he gets too hot.

katieeee9865

Original Poster
Linzloohoo":11nfs0ob said:
I agree with Brandon that seems like pretty good growth to me. I didn’t notice mine growing much at first, you see them everyday so you don’t notice it. Kai hit a big growth spurt in his 3rd month, he’s almost 4 months now and almost 12 inches. We use Dubai’s as a staple.

That is definitely true about seeing them every day and not being able to really notice the growth. Do you mind dropping a picture of Kai? I absolutely love that name by the way, so cute!
I switched Diego over to Dubias and Wax Worms instead of mealworms and crickets, and I can already see a difference in his body! He looks more filled out now, and his head is even starting to appear a bit larger and wider as well! The Dubias are perfect because they don't jump all over the place when I try to feed them to him, and they don't smell either which is great!

katieeee9865

Original Poster
claudiusx":1pgq2nsj said:
Hi there,

That is actually some pretty significant growth and his length right now is upper average for his age.

If hes eating and under proper care, he will grow at the rate that his genetics dictate. The only thing that we should concern ourselves with is the question, "is my dragon healthy?"

If you are feeding a proper diet and caring for him properly and he is healthy, that's all that matters :) growth is just a byproduct. Health is the goal.

Anyways, I wouldnt worry, he sounds perfectly normal :)

-Brandon

Thank you so much. I feel as if I post a lot on this sight! I can't tell if I'm just a paranoid new beardie mom, or if he is actually growth issues. Either way, I will continue to track his weight and length, and see what happens. Thank you :)

Linzloohoo

Hatchling Member
katieeee9865":34k5pn1r said:
Linzloohoo":34k5pn1r said:

That is definitely true about seeing them every day and not being able to really notice the growth. Do you mind dropping a picture of Kai? I absolutely love that name by the way, so cute!
I switched Diego over to Dubias and Wax Worms instead of mealworms and crickets, and I can already see a difference in his body! He looks more filled out now, and his head is even starting to appear a bit larger and wider as well! The Dubias are perfect because they don't jump all over the place when I try to feed them to him, and they don't smell either which is great!

Thanks! My son picked it. Kai for kaiju, the monsters from the movie pacific rim. One of his favorites. I love Dubai’s, they might be more expensive but worth it IMO. I hate dealing with crickets jumping everywhere and stinking ugh.
Here’s our guy at 3 months, he’ll be 4 months soon so it’s time to take some updated pictures!
105680-463536000.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom