New Baby Bearded Dragon is Sick! I need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Valerie876

Original Poster
if it is inaccurate then he may be too cold. I am going to suction cup it by the basking spot and see what it reads after a while.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The pic of him sitting on the wire is where the probe needs to be ---- the probe will pick up ambient temp when suctioned to the tank but its not going to give you an accurate basking temp- if hes sitting there all day then he may be too cold but we wont know till you take the actual basking temp of where hes sitting - he will move if its too hot --- I would recommend you get a Infrared heat gun from Home Depot or Lowes etc --- they are around $10-12 and give an accurate temp
Karrie

Valerie876

Original Poster
oh ok. Yes I had a laser thermometer and it read 115 at the hottest area of the rock all the way down to the 90's on on the furthest end on the rock

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Valerie876":1gwrwhvo said:
Into the tank????? Is it not okay sitting on top of a screen?
The t8 version needs to be around 8 inches from the basking surface. Being placed on top of a screen cuts the strength of the bulb around 30-40% depending on how fine the screen is. So, the t8 on top of the screen would need to be really close, which is why we recommend mounting it either unobstructed by the screen, or under the screen.

I believe the probe thermometer is supposed to be suction cupped on the glass and that is why it is reading so high. Because the end of the probe is touching the surface
No, you want the probe touching the surface. the 105-110 range we recommended is for the basking surface temp. 121 is too hot, you need to either lower the basking surface, or raise the bulb higher. Basically, just create a bigger distance so that you get your basking surface to 105-110.

I read some where that if they are not mouth gaping then they are probably not hot enough.
This is not true. Mouth gaping is a method they have to thermoregulate, but it doesn't mean that their temperatures are too hot or too cold if they do or don't do it. It's like us sweating. We can be too hot without sweating. They can be too hot and not mouth gape.

Sure, he won't let himself overheat if he has cool areas to go to, but if the spot he has to bask in is too hot, he won't stay long enough to properly digest his food. And that will start a large cascade of health issues.

So what you really need to do is, make sure your reptisun is 8 inches or so from the basking surface, unobstructed.
And get your basking surface temp in the 105-110 range.

-Brandon

Valerie876

Original Poster
He ate around 15baby Dubia Roaches today and would’ve eaten more if I had let him! He had another normal poop. I ordered a t5 bulb and hood and it’s on the way! Thank you!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Great!
We love hearing the updates!
Sounds like things are on the right track :)

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, it really sounds like your baby is doing much better now! That is very good news.
Since he is starting to eat more that is a great improvement. I think the improved lighting
will help him even more.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom