Brumation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Our 4 year old male beardie never seemed to fully come out of brumation this year. Usually he's brumating from about October to April.

This year he would come out and then go back to his cave, some days he would come out and be super active and eat and then sleep again for another whole day.

Now just recently these last 2 months he has thrown up a hornworm twice.

He's been seen by a experienced reptile vet, we have done blood work twice now once a month for 2 months and blood work looks good, we also had x-rays done and they look fine as well. He was also recently dewormed last month in preparation for his normal brumation schedule.

He is in a 4x2x2 enclosure with a basking spot of 100, an Arcadia 12% UVB and tile substrate. His UVB light is still producing proper ammounts of UVB, I check it regularly with my solar meter.

I guess I'm wondering if it's normal for a beardie to not come out of brumation fully for a whole year?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

No that's not really normal to brumate that long.

Are your lights on a timer? What is the schedule for them?

What uvi is your basking surface at?
Or how close is the Arcadia to the basking surface?

Has he lost any weight during this time? I hope the vet has been weighing him if you haven't.
It's probably a good idea to try to snap him out of it at this point.

-Brandon

Permutation

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok yeah I didn't think so, was just seeing if anyone had experienced anything like this.

He hasn't lost weight he's actually gained 20 grams. I weigh him bi weekly.

His lights are on a 12 on 12 off schedule and 9am and 9pm

His basking surface where he sits reads a 4 on my Solar meter and what I've read says between 3-7 is what you want for a bearded dragon. The UVB is physically in his tank with no screen or mesh inbetween him and the UVB light, it sits about 8 inches above the basking spot.

My vet suspects GI stasis, he's going in Thursday for an exam and possible blood work.

I've been putting him under his lights whenever I go see him hide for too long.

Thank you for your input :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok great, your setup sounds fine and your uvi levels are fine.

Well it's good that he hasn't been losing weight. He could possibly just be going through a super long brumation. I'd keep the lights on for at least 14 hours a day at this point if you're not already.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom