Metronidazole question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a 1.5yo male who has had bloody diarrhea for a few weeks. It peaked and was all blood for a couple of days. I have taken him to the vet and we were under the impression that it was an infection from old superworms (which he had been slowly decreased eating and eventually stopped altogether), if he did eat it was a few greens, he was also super anxious and wanting to get out more than normal and in the last 4 or 5 days started turning his beard black in the afternoon. Anyway the vet put him on metronidazole on Friday (today is Monday), yesterday his stool was still bloody, I took the sample to the vet today and it was negative (I did not have a sample on Friday when I took him, so she just put him on Metro. since its the most common).

My question is I am worried about the blood. I figure the meds are already working since his fecal was negative. He is being hand fed a mixture of a blend the vet gave me and some baby food (squash). The vet tech said to give it to Wednesday to see if the blood stops. Has anyone else had this issue with their beardie? Could the meds be irritating his belly? He is on it for 2 weeks (0.17ml/once a day). The vet said aside from losing some weight and the diarrhea he looked good.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The metronidazole is an anti protozoan treatment. If none were detected then I would probably discontinue using it. Especially if you've been offering it for two weeks already. Do you know which parasites the vet tested the sample for? It's possible that the cause is from a different type of parasite (not affected by metronidazole). It could just be caused by straining. I suggest offering plenty of water to help with hydration. Try offering soft foods like squash for a while which will help with hydration and also be a little easier on the system. If it was all blood at some point, and that is continuing then there still may be an underlying issue.

laineyhowe

Original Poster
We dont know what he initially had since I didnt have a fecal sample. He has only had 3 doses, I know it is early but I was still concerned seeing blood and didnt know how long it takes for an issue like this to clear up. I know it wont be overnight but I had hopes that I would see at least a little improvement. The blood scares me. The vet said to give it a total of 5 days and if the blood doesnt improve to call. I also cant remember what all they checked for but I knew it was a range of bacteria and protozoa along with intestinal worms and all of that came back negative this morning on the sample I took them from yesterday (less 24 hours old and it was refrigerated immediately)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I misread the first post. If it has only been a few days and the vet recommended 5 days then I'd continue as directed (two weeks would have been a long dose). It's good that no other parasites were detected. Coccidia has been known to produce bloody poops but that would have likely been detected in the test. If the blood doesn't go away after the metronidazole dose and a week or so of the soft foods, then perhaps a blood test would be a good idea in order to check organ function and see if there is an elevated white blood cell count that may indicate an infection etc.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If there are no parasites present and none were found to begin with, I am confused as to why parasite medication was prescribed?

Or am I reading that wrong? You didnt get a fecal test but the vet prescribed the Metro?

Was any bloodwork done to test for organ function? Constant bleeding and diarrhea is not a sign of a healthy dragon, despite your vet stating that he seems healthy otherwise. Constant bloody stools and diarrhea clearly indicates that your dragon is not healthy, and something needs to be figured out.

Will he drink if you offer him water?

-Brandon

laineyhowe

Original Poster
He was prescribed metro initially bc I didn’t have a fecal available and the vet said that she wanted to put him on it until I get one. I am surprised after 2 doses he wound up having a negative fecal. The vet didn’t seem to be and said to finish out the meds. I know he’s not well. I think she was just meaning that she didn’t see any other indications of another issue that would cause his symptoms. She did recommend bloodwork which I would do and may still need to do I just don’t have the $200 for it. :( And yes he will hand drink water, he does amazing for hand feeding as well. I make sure to mix in plenty of water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom