Beardie flipping over on his back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
while I’m at home Finley sometimes flips over on his back and can’t get back up. Luckily this has only happened while I’m home so far but I’m so scared that he’s gonna get stuck like that while I’m gone. It’s very scary for me and I can’t focus at school because I’m scared he’ll get stuck. His back legs are weaker than most bearded dragons because of a spinal injury he got before I had him. They still work but not optimal for staying upright will climbing. He has a higher place to go so he can get closer to his UVB light if he wants to. And he isn’t the best at getting down the way he should so he likes to just jump down which flips him over. Should I try to rig something so I can get his light closer to the ground because his uvb light is a few inches above where it’s should be. I’m just scared he’d be sad because he does love to climb and I’d feel bad if I took that away from him. What do you think I should do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would think you need to get something that is safer for him to get closer to the UVB how far is the UVB now?? Flipping over on the back is not good - they cant breath --- get the UVB down to 6 inches from his basking spot - if that helps w/ him having to climb higher
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
That’s what I was thinking I should do but he just loves climbing and I feel really bad that I’d have to take that away from him :cry: but I guess I could put something else in there for him to climb on that’s safer

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You want him safe and not getting into something he cant get out of while your gone-
Its for the best interest in his safety and health
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yah your right. Thank you so much for all your help while I’ve been on this forum. You’ve been so helpful in helping me take care of Finley better. Having your first beardie really is a learning experience lol

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your most welcome-- we are all learning still or so it seems-- glad to help w/ Finley
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
103403-8965505180.jpg
103403-9315636521.jpg

Here is finley’s temporary safer habitat. I haven’t gone to the store yet to get the stuff I need to fully set it up yet so I just had to use his old decor and hides I had laying around but it’s a good start. I’ll be to the pet store tomorrow to get more crickets anyways so I can get some more things. But for now it only mattered that he won’t be getting stuck on his back while I’m gone :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking rock is good I would take that hide and put it directly under his UVB and you can move the stick to the other side of the hide -- if you want to get different decor you can look some have platforms that they can sit on - but I would get one wide enough he can lay on and not far from the floor of the tank -- so if he does fall off he will more than likely land on his tummy
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Looks good just make sure you get a basking temp since you have moved it etc.........
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Since it is a rock it takes a bit to soak up the heat so right now it’s at 100 degrees but it should get warmer. It’s jever gone past 107 tho

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No as long as basking temps are where they need to be - I would look for some sort of log he can get different basking temps -- like he can move around I will send a link to what I am talking about but something lower to the floor
https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/habitats-and-decor/habitat-decor/all-living-things-gnarled-wood-reptile-ornament-14947.html?cgid=500116-- maybe not this one in particular but something that he has more options of temps--- Hiccup has this in his tank and he utilizes all the ways he can --- top ---- on the side standing --- laying on the floor w/ his head propped up on the lower branch --- I would go to Petsmart if you have one and look - or you can go to their website and look at what they carry --- thats just some ideas for you
Karrie

Finleythebeardie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
They have logs like that in various styles and shapes at my local petco so while I’m getting crickets tomorrow I’ll see if they have one that works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom