Meet Thanos!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,
Last weekend we brought home a 5 month old baby Beardie :) - My Son had been pestering for ages and we eventually gave in and went to our local exotic pet shop and came out an hour or so later with all the required kit plus our baby :). He has been very entertaining to watch over the last few days but has this morning decided to climb to the top of his tank on some extra plants we purchased yesterday - is this normal behaviour as he is about 30 inches from the ground seemingly quite happy!! I'm concerned he might fall but dont want to open tank incase he lets go. If i can figure out how i will post a video of him up there. Thanks

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the site! :D

We love pictures here so make sure if you need help figuring it out to just ask! :)

-Brandon

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
Here's how we have the vivarium set up:

full

Hope that works.

There is also a UV lamp across the length of the tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The tank looks really nice - how far is the UVB from the basking area? And what are you using the T 5 or the T 8? Does he have a way of getting out of the UVB rays if he wants to w/ out actually having to hide from it?
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The tank looks great! I love what you did with the decorating.

-Brandon

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
When the light is on he can't get out of it unless he goes behind his plants or log. He's never done that though as far as we've seen. We turn his light off at night, so he gets a break from it for around 9-10 hours each day.

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
He is also only around 7.5 inches in length - is this small for a 5 month old beardie? Currently eating medium locusts but really only around 3 a day and a small amount of veg/fruit. I'm getting a little worried now as he sounds quite small compared to others on this site and he's eating no where near as much food. He is however quite lively as mentioned in my earlier post about his climbing abilities!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would look at the UVB --- if its not 6-8 inches from his basking that is going to effect his eating --- they need to have the UVB bulb to absorb nutrients --- it is also for calcium to ward off MBD--- the cover needs to be off the bulb for best effects of the rays -- him climbing to the top of the plants your were talking is he trying to get to the UVB ???? If its on top of the screen the screen is filtering out the rays --- the T 8's are not as strong as the T 5's and need to be in the tank ---
Karrie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
The uvb is a strip light across the ceiling on the inside of his tank and when he was at the top of the tank on the plants he was above the light!! He also has a heat basking lamp which is a 60 w prorep basking spot light. His high branch is about 10 inches from the bottom of the uvb strip?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the 10 inches might be too high --- if its the T 8 I would say lower it to atleast the 8" -- I am thinking its not close enough -- little dude likes to climb--- :D --- how about basking temps? What are they running and how are you taking those temps? Stick ons are no good they are usually way off -- Lighting is key to good health for the dragon -- meaning the UVB and especially basking temps-- that is how they digest their food ---- along w/ that UVB
Karrie

theyellowlabrador

Original Poster
The uvb is screwed to the ceiling so would be hard to move to be honest. The basking lamp is closer to his rock and his high branch so less than 10 inches, probably more like 8. The ambient temperature of his hot side is around 94/95 but when he knocked the sensor under the lamp this morning it was reading 102 via the digital reader. He has been very active today climbing all over the place today!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the basking is good -- but the UVB he is not going to get enough of it - you can switch to a T 5 but then you need to look at the distance between that -- they recommend 10-12 inches from basking for that --- his high branch is under the basking or the UVB???? " his high branch so less than 10 inches, probably more like 8.???" For the T 8 he will need it to be closer to his basking area -- rays are not strong enough to illuminate that far --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom