Adopted Beardie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morg223

I just adopted a 2 year old female (I think) 6 days ago. In her old home they said they fed her 5-6 crickets a day, and no veggies. They also never held or really interacted with her. They wouldn’t give the tank they had her in up so she is in a completely new setup (extremely stressful I know. It was definitely not what I wanted).

Anyways, she hasn’t eaten a thing since I got her, I’ve tried super worms, crickets, and mealworms for protein and collard greens and even strawberries but she will not even touch it. I’ve tried it in a bowl and also by hand but she always closes her eyes and turns her head.

I’ve also noticed that she is digging a lot and trying to climb up the sides of her tank pretty frequently. It’s very sad to watch but I don’t know what to do at this point. When I moved her decor around she hid in her rock and refused to come out.

I have a 55 gal tank and she is approximately 12 inches.
Ask any other questions if needed, I’ll do my best to answer, but I am a newbie!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post pics of the tank and lighting so we can get a better idea of what is going on? Also if shes scratching alot I am wondering if she is gravid- meaning w / eggs--- but first we need to figure out lighting --- https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box and post pics --- also what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? infrared heat gun? digital probe ? or stick ons?
Karrie

Morg223

Original Poster
I don’t have a picture right now, she lives at school and I’m at home. I will take and post one tomorrow.
I had a guy that rescues fish/reptiles/amphibians set up my tank, but I am willing to change anything if it will make her more comfortable.

I have a small feeling that the light that he provided for basking is not strong enough so I already bought a replacement that I will change out tomorrow. I don’t have a thermometer right now, but I am planning on getting one to keep in her tank ASAP.

She is not scratching, and I’m pretty positive she was not ever kept with another dragon. So I’m about 95% sure she is not with eggs.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
She could be w/ eggs --- infertile ones --- but before you replace that heat bulb get a accurate temp either w/ a digital probe or heat gun--- NO stick ons they are horribly inaccurate--- you want her temp to be around 95-105 for an adult ---- probes need to be placed on the area that she is sitting on for basking and wait 10 minutes --- I am thinking she has a coil UVB -- and not a tube-----if so that could be the culprit -- they are no good --- you can get a digital probe from Petsmart for around $5--- heat guns from Walmart or Home Depot for around $10-12 and they are a good investment ---
Karrie

Morg223

Original Poster
The UVB I have is a long tube. Does that help or is there something I can look for?
I will stop by Walmart and get a heat gun before school tomorrow to check!
What can I do for her if she is with eggs? Would that cause her to not eat? I’m just worried that there’s something that I’m doing wrong.

Thank you so much for your help, I have been so worried!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If she is w/ eggs you need a lay box-- and she would need a quiet area not sure all the kids would be a good idea for her to be around--- others on here like Tracie or AHBD or Brandon would need to help you w/ how to set up the lay box-- the tube UVB look on bulb and tell me brand and bulb please-- tomorrow
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which brand of tube UVB did you get for her?
If she has eggs, you can make a laybox for her, with potting soil that doesn't have any type of
chemicals or fertilizers in it, mixed with sand, etc. Be sure it is at least 10-12 inches deep & that
the mix is damp enough to where it will hold up to her making a burrow but not sopping wet to
have standing water.
Has she been eating anything at all? If she does have eggs & she is close to laying then her
appetite will be practically non existent. They can lay eggs which are infertile even if they are
not with a male.
If she isn't warm enough she wont eat as well because her body isn't in its optimal zone for her to
digest, etc. Looking forward to seeing pictures.

Tracie

Morg223

Original Poster
105911-6190485000.jpg
105911-9498628960.jpg
105911-5541741699.jpg

Here are the pictures. I couldn’t find a brand name on the UVB light but took a picture of the writing on it.

I read somewhere on here that the mesh top could be filtering out UVB rays so I took it off and have the UVB light angled across the top.
My heat light says it’s 75W 120V 8F

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That is correct the UVB should be approx 6-8 inches from basking since its a T 8---- so I would get it inside the tank or take the screen off and the cover off the bulb --- no cover it will allow the full effect of the UVB rays also the bulb is a Zilla brand and its a T 8-- you can use it but make sure your not getting any type of not eating lethargic behavior from her after you get this all in place--- when replacing this bulb I would get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 -- same type of bulb just a different and way better brand of bulb-- she needs to be able to sit directly underneath the UVB like her basking bulb-- the sand I would get rid of and replace w/ textured non adhesive shelf liner - you can get it at Home Depot or Lowes etc -- its easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle and insects cant get underneath-- or some pieces of slated tile too something that will keep her nails down-- her basking temp needs to be 95-105 -- if the bulb you have is keeping those temps then your good -- I would look at getting her some better decor for her to sit on --- check out Petsmart they have nice dragon decor and the hide looks small I dont know if she can get in it or under it but I would look at getting her one of those as well -- Petsmart is spendy but the decor is easy to keep clean --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She looks to be in good condition based on the pictures.
As suggested, that particular tube UVB isn't as strong as the Reptisun 10 or the Arcadia D3
12% or 14%. They should be compatible with the light fixture you are using. If you can manage
to get it mounted underneath of the screen top that would give a stronger UVB exposure for her
when you get the new light.
Try to get a little lower & sturdier type of branch for her to bask on, too. The tube should be at
a 6-8 inch distance from her, mounted directly beside the basking bulb.
Has she shown any interest in food yet?

Tracie

Morg223

Original Poster
So sorry it's taken me so long to update! She is eating!! She has a super hearty appetite, but refuses veggies still :( the owner before me never gave her veggies so she is just wanting worms/crickets. Any suggestions?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep offering her veggies - did you get her tank fixed w/ proper lighting and more decor for basking- ?
Once they get bugs only its hard to get them to eat anything else- some others on here might have some ideas on how to get her to eat them - horn worms are good for hydration - is she getting water? She needs to stay hydrated
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your dragon doing now, has she began adjusting to her new home now?
Has she been eating pretty well also?
Have you tried placing small bits of colorful fruits or veggies in with her greens/salads,
to try & entice her to eat the salad more? They can be quite stubborn.
Update us when you can~!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom