BSFL for a 3 month old?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yungthrillaa

I'm going to start feeding my beardie black soldier fly larvae as a staple since he doesn't care for crickets all that much and to be honest I just don't want to deal with them – at all. I've heard they're great for them and they don't need to be calcium dusted either which is a bonus. I'm wondering how many I should be giving my little guy (or girl) per feeding and how many times a day should I be feeding them to him? I ordered 125 to start since I've never given them to him before (and shipping is crazy expensive). Any tips would be helpful!

Thank you :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Still offer him as many as he will eat at a time, 2 or so times a day.

Since they are a new feeder to your little guy, you should start him off slow on them. Feeding a lot of a new feeder at once tends to make them get an upset tummy occasionally. Best to introduce them with his current feeder.

125 most likely won't last you too long, they are very easy to go through a lot of them! :)

Personally, I don't like them. Not because they are bad feeders, they are great feeders. But simply because they are a pain to me. Maybe I just don't know the tricks, but I hate having to deal with the substrate they come in lol!

-Brandon

Not sure where you are, but if in the US, https://symtonbsf.com/ is a great place to get them. Good prices for the bsfl and shipping.

When mine was about that age, he went through A LOT. Like 60-90 a day. Little piggy!

The best way I have found to clean the substrate off is get a small strainer that the substrate will fall through but not the bsfl. Get some in there and sift away. :) The substrate falls off pretty easily.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My 7 month olds love BSFL , Cleo takes her's with crickets ( her new again fav bugs ) and Caesar loves BSFL ( he'll polish off 40 instar 2 and instar 3 BSFL in a sitting ).

I'm giving myself and my BTs and bearded dragons a break from silkworms while I'm waiting for the mulberry leaves to become available and bigger.

I'm ordering 100g to 150g per of Instar 2's every few months for my gang of skinks and dragons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom