Zoomed Repti Halogen

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My Zoomed Repti Halogen bulbs arrived today. A 100w and a 150w. They look similar to the Repti Basking Spot and are MUCH smaller than the PAR38 bulbs I've been using.
76248-573348860.jpg

In terms of output, there is a strong beam in the center which drops off quickly to the sides (not a good sign). I tested the 100w. At 21'' up from the floor, I read 111f in the center. 98 1'' away, 92 2'' away 89 3'' away 84 4'' away. That gives less than a (roughly) 4'' basking area. Not good for something the size of a dragon. For now, I think i'll stick with the PAR38 80w version.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that's a huge drop off. I actually saw these at my local petsmart yesterday. I almost bought one to try.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I guess that means I have to try the next experiment. I'm thinking the Arcadia ir basking bulb :D

-Brandon

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
On the upside, it does handle being dimmed without giving off any noise the way the repti basking spot does, so I'd consider it a (small) upgrade over that.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
The 100w bulb I had burnt out yesterday. It made a slight hum when dimmed too. Lasted just over a month in regular service. Compare to the hardware store PAR38s I use which get around 3-6 months of use before burning out. I went to put the 150w Repti Halogen in its place but found the filament was broken in that one. They are SO fragile. Final word (from me) on this one (for now) is these are complete junk and a waste of money. Stick with the PAR38 outdoor flood bulbs which are tougher. Even though the 90w versions are no longer made, the 80w does the job well too.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I use the 4 pack halogen bulbs from Walmart. They come in 40-100 watt equivalent .Can't beat the price either, about $4.50 for a 4 pack.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
AHBD":1hiprx3p said:
I use the 4 pack halogen bulbs from Walmart. They come in 40-100 watt equivalent .Can't beat the price either, about $4.50 for a 4 pack.

What brand/size are they? That's a pretty great price. Similar price to the satco BR40 brooder bulbs I've tried from the farm store. Had a problem with them being a bit too hot and then exploding/cracking though. :dontknow:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Only thing is the low kelvin rating. But I think that in conjunction with the high kelvin ratings of our uvb bulbs, that they probably compliment each other pretty well.

I used to be only for bright whites. But as time has gone on I've started using warmer basking bulbs and have come to the thought that I had up above, they compliment each other.

What do you two think?

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I think it's fine, my dragons seem to function well, plenty of energy + good appetites. I always like to tell new owners that they don't need any heat/basking bulb from the pet store but you can get these at Walmart + probably Home Depot as well. Big savings.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, I've pretty much always recommended regular household bulbs too, but years ago I thought that only bright whites should be used not the soft whites. That's what I was referring to in regards to what your thoughts were on that.

I agree, I haven't seen any difference in behavior or health between the bright white bulbs or a softer light.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom