Baby beardie refusing feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breezy85

Hello Everyone, so I have been lurking around for the last 4 weeks reading anything and everything on here about beardies. So Thankyou in advance for all the information you provided on here because it truly does help. I have 2 baby beardies now for a little over a month. 1 beardie is doing fantastic no problems at all but my other beardie Jestiq isn't doing so well. He came home on Aug. 20,19 so I've had him a few weeks now. I know I shouldn't of got him from Petco but I just couldn't help myself after he ran to the front of the tank begging me to get him/her out. So I took him home and his appetite slowly grew day after day he started eating more and more everything was fine up until now. So my issue is now he's barely eating. I can see his face has the dull grey pre she'd color and his tail but no sign of shedding yet. He's only eating 1-2 dubia a day and before he was eating at least 9-12 . I'm so worried because he's already tiny. So my question is, is it normal for him to completely off his dubia other then 1or2 a day while shedding? His face or take hasn't started to peel yet but I can see it's definitely getting ready. Jestiq is gaining weight and growing I'm just really worried about him not eating. He is a leatherback , 9- 1/2 inches long and weighs 29 grams. When he came home he was 7-1/2 inches and weighed 14 grams. I weigh and measure every Sunday to keep up with growth and I keep a log book of feedings, baths, sheds and poops. His poop looks normal brown with white not runny at all and he poops every morning around 7 am.
He's in a 40 gallon breeder tank. I use a reptisun tube 10.0 t8 mounted under his screen lid, with a 100 watt zoo med basking bulb over his hamock where he basks. I use probe thermometers on eack end of my tanks. My cool side stays at80 and basking temp fluctuates between 100-109 . I also use a temp gun to check temps throughout the tank. The humidity is between 30-40 during the day and reaches 45-50 at night after lights out. I don't use a night heat source because i keep my home on 75 so there temps stay on 75 at night too.
I feed 3x a day with a snack in between lunch and dinner. I use dlsmall and extra small dubia and bsfl as my feeders allowing them to eat as much as they'd like within 10-15minutes. They receive a salad before breakfast at 8am of fresh greens, carrots,and butter squash and both enjoy there salads.
They both enjoy being held and at night when it's close to lights out they glass surf to be taken out. I snuggle them at night after lights out and they enjoy sleeping on us for at least a hour before they are placed back on there hamocks for the night. I give baths everyother day because they like to walk through there poo. Lights on is at 6am and lights off is at 8:30pm.
Sorry about the long text I just wanted to cover everything. If you need anymore info please ask. I love my beardies and am just beside myself over him not eating good for the last 3 days. Thankyou for the response in advance

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Face sheds tend to be the most annoying from what I've seen. So if any shed is gonna bother them it would be that one lol.

They aren't housed in the same tank are they?

Your setup sounds just fine.
I'd keep offering him food, at least he is getting some nourishment. And hopefully once he's done shedding his appetite will return :)

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You need another tank set up like the one you have now if they are both in the same tank -- I realize they are young but they should not be housed together - I am not sure why the one has slowed on eating other than the shedding and it will be concerning if he does stop eating all together -- that would be a sign hes not well considering the husbandry you have is good!! The T 8 it is approx 6-8 inches from basking correct? If he stops eating all together I would get him into the vet but as far as the husbandry it sounds really good --- if the one is sick you might want to get him away from the other one as we dont know what the one has and you dont want the healthy one getting sick as well-- if things dont change and continue to get worse you would want to put the one into another small tank like a 20 gallon or so w/ lighting to see if you can figure what is going on --- I hope he is not sick and things get better ---
Karrie

Breezy85

Original Poster
Sorry I haven't been able to get on here. But, no no, they are housed in different tanks lol. They both have a 40 breeder of there own. I keep them seperated because my chubby one likes to do a slow wave with a slow headbob and Jestiq. Plus they are both from a different clutch and use to being by themselves. I have learned a few things on here from all the reading lol. Sorry guess I should of mentioned that.
But Jestiq she'd it's entire head yesterday and then ate 5 dubi after so I assume it was the shed. It is so worrisome when they go off there feeders because he's so tiny compared to my other baby beardie that's 9-1/2 inches and weighs 48 grams now, Jezzy doesn't miss a meal ever not even while shedding.

Thankyou all for all of the information you post on here . It has really been my go to with my 2 baby beardies. Unfortunately I got them at a chain petstore and the employee didn't say anything about needing lighting or proper temps. She sent me on my way home with 2 beardies and a tank. Ofcourse I started reading Everything I could and I had them a proper setup by the next morning. But it's just so sad how they will sell you a little life then not explain or care if you know how to give it the proper home in needs to thrive. I will never buy ANYTHING from a petstore again. But really thankyou all for all the help you give on here, this place is looking he my beardie Bible?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am assuming you got the UVB's recommended on here for that ? Its good the one is eating and yes it effects them the different ways that shedding!! They all have their different quirks --- if anything else comes up please ask --- and it is pathetic pet stores dont have a clue as how to take care of pets they sale--- all of those pet stores should be mandated to have classes on their reptiles and how to at least get people properly set up to care for them ----------------- and the some of the stuff that is sold for dragons ends up making them deathly sick or flat kills them!
Karrie

Breezy85

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1o81pnd4 said:
It's OK to handfeed your little hatchling if it's a poor feeder.

Here are some approaches : viewtopic.php?f=18&t=235583

Yes I agree, I don't know what I would had done if I hadn't found this community because everything I originally had was wrong but I quickly changed out everything and bought new UVA and UVB for my babies after reading the caresheet and All of your set-up advice on proper lighting/heat. I now have 2 healthy little beardies all because of you all.
Update* both of my beardies are doing great now. Jestiq she'd his head and acted as if he was starving right after lol He has went from eating 1-2 a day to eating 16 a day and every day he eats a little more then the previous day. Yay! It's such a relief to watch him chase his dubias around his enclosure. I love my babies????
Thankyou so much for your response. I was freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom