Baby beardie acting sick help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I purchased a Leatherback baby beardie from PetSmart about 2 weeks ago now, I have him in a 40 gallon tank with a 150w basking bulb with the temp at 105F. Cold side around 75-80. He also has a 75w UVB bulb as well. He was doing absolutely great the first week and a half. He started his first shed about 3 days ago and was only shedding his tail but still eating a little bit, then he started to shed all his legs and sense he started that 2 days ago, he has not eaten a thing except some baby food I force fed him. He is getting skinnier by the day and is no longer shedding his legs and still will not eat. Before the shed he would eat about 15 crickets a day along with a couple calci worms for a treat. I don't know what to do.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post some pictures of your dragon, along with your tank setup so we can see how the
lighting is placed for him.
Are you using a mercury vapor bulb then, since you stated the UVB bulb was a 75 watt? Or, is it
a long tube type of bulb?
What are you measuring the temperatures with, a digital probe or a temp gun?
Are the crickets smaller than the space between his eyes also?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Ryankirsch

Original Poster

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The biggest issue I see now is the UVB --- you need to ditch the coil and get this
Which UVB light should I use?
The best UVB light is a ReptiSun 10.0 fluorescent tube HO (Or Arcardia 12% in the UK). Compact or coil bulbs do not emit the proper amount of UVB light for a bearded dragon, and should not be used. Other brands, such as the Zilla Desert Series and ReptiGlo have been known to cause eye problems and other health issues with bearded dragons, and should be avoided. The reason that some UVB lights (Zilla, ReptiGlo, coils/compacts, ect.) are considered dangerous is because the wavelength of UVB that they emit is shorter and more intense than the wavelength of the "safe" lights (ReptiSun, Arcadia). UVB lights should be replaced every 6 months. The T5’s are a strong bulb and only need to be replaced once a year – the T 8 every 6 months--- where as the T 8 are not as strong—they need to be placed inside the tank the T 5 10.0 bulb approx 10-11 inches from basking spot – the T 8 approx 8-10 inches from basking spot—the cover needs to be off the bulb for full effect of the UVB rays-- replace the coil ASAP-- hes losing weight fast is not good --- keep feeding him the baby food what are you using??? -- chicken and squash would be good -- can you get some Oxbow Critical care Herbivore and Omnivore ???? That would be better -- if you can get some mix it -- if not get the Omnivore -- let us know what you can get and do and we can help you from there- make sure hes hydrated -- either syringe feed water or soak him and see if he will drink from the bath --- do it two times a day --- the syringe feeding I would do 3 times per day and make it watery so he it doesnt plug up syringe you can bore the end wider w/ a knife or a small drill bit-- just make sure you go slow so he does not aspirate ---
Karrie

Ryankirsch

Original Poster
I just ran to my local PetSmart and bought the bulb asap !! I couldn't find any critical care, and I have been feeding him carrot baby food mixed with calcium and sometimes vitamins and he will like it off my finger for a little bit but that is all.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get some baby food chicken its protein and not sure about carrots its high in vit A -- I would get squash -- you can call your local vet and ask if they have critical care I am sure they do and get Omnivore its protein as well if you can afford the Herbivore get that too then you can quit all together w/ the baby food and feed those 2 mixed --- ratio two Tbls -one w/ herbivore more -- let me know what you can do and we can go from there --- just make sure hes hydrated -- you will know when he goes to the bathroom - there will be white urate in it w/ the poop --- you need to syringe feed him licking off your finger isnt gonna be enough in him - you need a syringe a 3ml or cc -- I used a ml and fed one ml 3 times a day --just feed a little at a time so he can swallow it and not aspirate
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is your baby doing this evening?
That is good to hear you were able to get the Reptisun 10 tube bulb. Did you place it
underneath of the screen top also, alongside of the basking bulb?
How is the feeding coming along? You can add a little bit of baby food in with the powdered
food if you would like, for palatability for him. I hope he is feeling better & starting to have an
increase of appetite also.
As suggested, try for a few small feedings, per day.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Ryankirsch

Original Poster
Yes I did move both bulbs under the top screen. He has been eating his baby food out of the sirange just fine, and he is starting to show interest again in his crickets, he will chase them or look at them like he wants to eat then but has not eaten one yet today, but im just happy he is now showing interest !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom